They say I am running too much air in my Michelin's

idahoron

I have the Michelin LTX m/s2. E rated tires with a FWC hawk standard package. The whole thing weighs under 6500 pounds. The place I got my tires are telling me that 70 on the front and 80 on the back is too much air. I took it camping last weekend and I thought it felt just right. What PSI do you guys use?

What's your truck, Ron?

I run BFG AT's at 40 Front / 50 Rear for highway with a Tundra/Hawk combo. I tried 70-80psi and it just rattled my teeth. :oops:

Run what works for you. The tire guys keep lowering my air pressure too. I run what feels good for me and it handles and feels good and I get normal wear. Feels squishy with what they want me to run. If the wear was uneven that'd be different.

I run our 315's at 50 when I don't forget to pump them back up from 40 after coming off some washboard....
In those tires 50 results in full width tread wear and much more starts pulling the wear pattern in off the corners of the tread.

Ron I. Also have a 1st gen tundra with a ATC Bobcat. Tires Goodyear wranglers c rated,265/75 16.

I run 35 front/45 rear. Seems to do well. If you run too much air you will wear the center of the tread before the side.
Seems like your pressure is a bit high,IMO.
Frank

ski3pin said:
The old fashion way of determining correct tire pressure

Chalk Test
I might try that chalk test.
As that article points out, a heavier rig needs higher tire pressure...all other things being equal.

Isn't it correct that any/every tire only reaches its maximum-rated load-bearing limit when aired up to its stated maximum psi? Discount Tire (aka America's Tire out West) always drops mine to 50 psi when I go in for regular rotate/balance, but I just pump 'em back up to 75 front and 65 rear (where the fronts have to support 1,200 lbs of diesel engine). The Michelins are rated at 80psi (LTX-AT).

Foy said:
Isn't it correct that any/every tire only reaches its maximum-rated load-bearing limit when aired up to its stated maximum psi? Discount Tire (aka America's Tire out West) always drops mine to 50 psi when I go in for regular rotate/balance, but I just pump 'em back up to 75 front and 65 rear (where the fronts have to support 1,200 lbs of diesel engine). The Michelins are rated at 80psi (LTX-AT).
Foy, you're driving a crew-cab, long-bed...F350? So, a heavy truck, right?

Yes, Mark, I imagine it's about the heaviest stock single-rear-wheel pickup made. Something like 7,400 lbs curb weight, sans cargo and passengers. The "dirty little secret" on this truck is that with a 9,900 lb GVWR, passengers and cargo are limited to 2,500 lbs. I think some guys run them a little bit heavy.

Lighthawk said:
What's your truck, Ron?

I run BFG AT's at 40 Front / 50 Rear for highway with a Tundra/Hawk combo. I tried 70-80psi and it just rattled my teeth. :oops:
05 Tundra DC.

I am going to try 60 and see how I like it. All I know is 45 is squishy and I don't like how that feels.

For comparison, my truck which is a 2500, came stock with those same tires and the factory sticker on the door jam says 60 lbs front and 70 lbs rear.

Great ride and handling following those specs.

In my Dodge 2500 with the same tires I run 70 psi in both the front and rear. If I had them on something smaller and lighter I'd be running 60 psi front and rear. My truck is about 1,000 lbs heavier then yours.

On our Dodge, I am running 60-65 psi front and rear. When I ran it over the scales, loaded up, it was almost a perfect 50/50 distribution. Rides well on highway. Once I hit the dirt, I air down to 40 psi or so. I am sitting at around 8600 lbs. loaded.

No wonder my turnbuckles are never loose, I run my AT/KO E's at 45/50 highway, 30/35 off road which I do a lot of. I may or may not get quite as good a tread wear life but I don't have stuff rattling loose either, having ten grand in large format camera gear getting banged around is a lot more expensive than tires. I am at around 5,500 pounds.

Back
Top Bottom