Things you've learned the hard way

craig333

Riley's Human
I'm gonna hazard a guess we can all add something to this :)

1) When camping in an area known for dust storms, do not leave the windows and vents open no matter how hot it is when you're gone for the day.

2) Triple check those camper latches. It was an early cold rainy morning and I somehow got distracted and forget them.
Made it about fifty miles down the road before someone pointed it out to me.

3) Hmmm, how come I remember all the stories in the shower then forget when it comes time to type them up?

Lessons that come to mind:

1. If you are a big guy, best not stand with all your weight on the bench while making the bed.

2. Yes, the water pump actually does need to be insulated in the winter.

modify the propane tank bolt such that it doesn't fall out and scratch up your truckbed :rolleyes:

put vent down before driving into a garage.

don't leave keys in door lock when driving down the road

don't use converter to maintain batteries

modify door window so it doesn't fall down and let dust inside.

and most of all lock door before you go to bed so your camping buddies can't climb inside to stay warm and dry.

Don't leave your spare set of keys sitting next to the only other set on the table as you lock the door!...Hide a spare set somewhere...
Don't tell customs officials that if needed, they can compare your finger prints to the ones on your concealed weapons permit!...Get a passport...
When in doubt...bring duct tape...:D

ouch

Don't be in a hurry to get in or out of the camper. Door frame will not bend by striking it with the top of your head.

Don't be in hurry to exit as you drop the back panel. Again, panel will not bend even with the momentum of hurrying out of the camper and striking panel with front of head.

When on roof, do not step close to edge when wet. Resulted in broken toe after I bounced off of car next to truck.

Do not let 3 cold females set furnace while you are gone. They can get the camper hot enough to warp a fantastic vent.

Lock back door when traveling from spot to spot unless you like to pick up whatever was stored just inside the door if you notice it come open.

hurry

I have slowed way down over the years now. Yes, they were in the camper when they warped the vent. I didn't realize it until I got back to the shop and tried to use it for some reason.

Sounds like one of the secretaries we used to have. Middle of summer she'd have a heater running under her desk, and wear a sweater when she came into plant where we're all wilting away.

in a hurry

Alright I once lowered the top on my camper in salt lake city and forgot to put the clamps on. The pressure of driving made the front of the top lift up and lock into place while the side liner puffed in and out. after about 100 miles or so some kind driver pointed this out for me. strangly no damage at all to the roof or liner. and no I do not do drugs. haha

Marty

After backing into a tree in Yosemite (new door holder thingy) and a beer truck at a gas station (new window in the door), I've learned to say "Yes Dear" when my wife asks if I want her to spot for me while backing up.;)

Ted,

I'm with you on that one. I am going to buy one of those cheep backup cameras that costco sells and give it a try,

I bought one of the backup cameras from Costco and put it on my truck today. I think it works pretty well. It is designed to attached to the license plate bracket but it could be mounted elsewhere with some ingenuity. The field of view is pretty wide from any distance but obviously becomes narrower as you get closer. I briefly thought I would get two, one for each corner of my camper but since it is wireless and uses one frequency the transmitting cameras would interfere with each other's image. Typical wiring would be using backup light power but I used running lights so I don't have to go into reverse to check an image but turn on my running lights instead.

Maybe I will attach it to the passenger rear corner of my camper where I need the most help.

I almost forgot this one. Took a trip up to a beautiful little lake up in the Plumas National Forest in October. Forecast was for the first snow of the year Sunday afternoon, we figured we could get in one last trip before that area (7000') snows in. Get up there and the wind is blowing hard, its cold, but everything is still tinder dry so much to risky to light a campfire. I go to put on my jacket. I forgot to bring one. I'm normally the guy who when someone goes "I forgot the thing" I go " don't worry I have two" but not this time. No one else had a spare jacket either. Night wasn't bad, we piled in the camper with the heater on, but I spent my day with a long sleeve shirt for warmth. Won't do that again.

Latch the refridgerator door.

I've made 2 copies of a check list for all the things to do before moving my camper. One is taped to the refrigerator door, the other on the back side of my sun visor.

Latching the refrigerator door is the highest on my list as I spilled a half dozed eggs the floor. Smelled awful.

I know this topic is kind of old, but this one was worthy of posting

One of our customers sent this to us today

"Things you have learned the hard way" ...

Hey honey, can you check the trailer ?

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 720
:eek: You might win this contest! BTW, is this the incident that prompted all of the sticker posts?

"OMG" The look of the person's reflection in the window says a few words.

I know this topic is kind of old, but this one was worthy of posting

One of our customers sent this to us today

"Things you have learned the hard way" ...

Hey honey, can you check the trailer ?

Sometimes it is a Blow up not a pop up

I was camping in the desert and the wind was blowing a good clip towards the rear. I unlached all four sides and opened up the back door and there she went! The wind inflated the camper, the top was up in a second. I was a little scared how fast it happend but no harm no foul:eek:

Don't forget to unlatch the top before you try to open it...it tends to get real heavy.

Don't forget to hook up the bungees before lowering the top. Even your wife, who is standing outside, won't be able to tell you why the top doesn't seem quite right.

Back
Top Bottom