Thinking about a boat?

Barko1

Of course I keep hearing what money pits they are. Not sure how much I would use it, and I haven't messed with boats much but just like dirt roads I see neat places that you need a boat for. I'm looking at trading a motorcycle for a Wellcraft Eclipse 23' bowrider with 260hp stern drive. I envision towing it behind the truck and FWC, has a livewell so maybe I can get some fishing lessons?

Of course I keep hearing what money pits they are. Not sure how much I would use it, and I haven't messed with boats much but just like dirt roads I see neat places that you need a boat for. I'm looking at trading a motorcycle for a Wellcraft Eclipse 23' bowrider with 260hp stern drive. I envision towing it behind the truck and FWC, has a livewell so maybe I can get some fishing lessons?

That setup sounds pretty cool.....

I just paid off my 2009 19' (plus 2' transom ext.) River Hawk (Aluminum) with a Evinrude V4 115 HP E-tech. I think my boat/trailer/engine weigh in at 2450 lbs dry weight. I will try to attach a photo. Here is my take on what you are proposing.

1. What type of water are you going to fish or cruise? The Wellcraft Eclipse is designed more for cruising than fishing.

I have 50 high mountain lakes within 50 miles of my home---yet many of these lakes-- I would like to fish, are too small for my big boat. I bought my boat to fish the larger lakes and the Columbia and Snake Rivers. The other rivers nearby and smaller lakes are better fished with a drift boat or a jet boat or a one man inflatable pontoon boat.

2. How many people are going to fish at one time out of your boat--I bought my River Hawk LX190 so that my three grown sons and my grandson and I can all fish in comfort at one time.

3. A Fiberglass boat like the Wellcraft Eclipse must be stored out of direct sunlight or you will have discoloring and UV deterioration of the fiberglass. What is your storage like for a boat? My River Hawk requires 26'6" and that is with the space saver trailer hitch arm. My new garage will be 26' wide x 36' long.

4. An inboard engine makes a 23' boat comparable to a 18' outboard in real space or in some cases a 16' outboard depending on the design.

045.JPG

I am still searching for pictures.

Best to ya!

I do not know your area well at all, but my guess is you should look at Silvetip47's boat--a great size that can fish the small and most large lakes and some rivers. That set up can work for many functions--very nice.

Here is another attempt at a picture of my River Hawk 190LX:

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Bug Shield 076.JPG

Best to ya.

This option came up because the boat owner wants to trade for my 2008 Kawasaki 1400 that I got a smokin deal on but haven't been riding as much so the boat would essentially be a no cash deal, except for at the dock :(

In some ways I'd like a smaller boat but my dogs insist on going everywhere I go so I'd drag them along, and my daughter. I'd probably use it for casual cruising but might kill some time looking for fish but that is not something I have been doing lately. In New Mexico the lakes are Reservoirs, pretty sizable, Lake Powell is an option, who knows for sure. The closest lake is an hour, 40,000 acres, Navajo is 14,000 acres so what is here is good size.

Rationality says I should pass on it but the other side says a boat would be cool, often wanted a nice cruiser, no out of pocket costs (initially) and I have a good tow vehicle for it. Dark side says the boat will be mechanical challenges and now enough return on the investment. I do have parking, we got rid of two horses so their little stable will at some point become the parking place, FWC in one side, boat could go in the other. Not totally shaded but I can close it in a bit more. The aluminum boat and outboard looks very nice, want to trade for a Kawasaki????

Well I decided against the big boat, really like the Riverhawk etc but don't want to invest much until I know I would use it. Ebay to the rescue! I found a cheap Sunbird SPL 150 with an Evinrude 50 hp and a decent trailer. Motor runs well but I won't get it out into the lake for another week or so. Managed to get it home on crappy tires without a spare, new ones are en route. The interior is pretty rough, will replace seats and some other upholstery, the hull/glass is decent and cleans up well. The trailer appears sturdy but it was difficult to get the hitch to clamp on the ball, it was binding and upon getting it home and doing some disassembly I discovered the the rectangular metal main spare that the hitch attaches to was distorted/bent and I need to fix that better. Don't know whether I should try to get it straightened, chop it off and have a new welded on on just chop it, and reinstall the coupler ( a bolt on). I'd have to chop 4+" and have a hitch extension if I needed it.

Anyway I'll have plenty to do but there is no rot, motor fires up, the size is about right, it is light and easy to manage and should allow me to explore some of the nice water I find when Wandering the West. Picture to follow :D

Well I decided against the big boat, really like the Riverhawk etc but don't want to invest much until I know I would use it. Ebay to the rescue! I found a cheap Sunbird SPL 150 with an Evinrude 50 hp and a decent trailer. Motor runs well but I won't get it out into the lake for another week or so. Managed to get it home on crappy tires without a spare, new ones are en route. The interior is pretty rough, will replace seats and some other upholstery, the hull/glass is decent and cleans up well. The trailer appears sturdy but it was difficult to get the hitch to clamp on the ball, it was binding and upon getting it home and doing some disassembly I discovered the the rectangular metal main spare that the hitch attaches to was distorted/bent and I need to fix that better. Don't know whether I should try to get it straightened, chop it off and have a new welded on on just chop it, and reinstall the coupler ( a bolt on). I'd have to chop 4+" and have a hitch extension if I needed it.

Anyway I'll have plenty to do but there is no rot, motor fires up, the size is about right, it is light and easy to manage and should allow me to explore some of the nice water I find when Wandering the West. Picture to follow :D

Looks like you made a very good decision. I just googled your boat model and it is a good multi-functional boat. With the glass in good condition and some handyman improvements, you can have a very good boating experience while learning all kinds of good stuff about what boat you like and need. The key is storing, winterizing and economically maintaining your boat.

Best to ya!

Back
Top Bottom