Thoughts on securing fresh water drain from mischievous hands.

Andy Douglass

There have been threads about replacing the horrendous plastic drain valve, but I have not seen anyone mention a method for preventing someone from opening the drain at an inopportune time. It looks like the handle on the aftermarket valves can be removed with a screw, but they are not designed for doing that often. I assumed there would be a valve inside the camper on the drain line for security, but I don't think there is. Has anyone ever addressed this, or more importantly, has anyone ever had their water drained by an interloper?

Andy Douglass said:
There have been threads about replacing the horrendous plastic drain valve, but I have not seen anyone mention a method for preventing someone from opening the drain at an inopportune time. It looks like the handle on the aftermarket valves can be removed with a screw, but they are not designed for doing that often. I assumed there would be a valve inside the camper on the drain line for security, but I don't think there is. Has anyone ever addressed this, or more importantly, has anyone ever had their water drained by an interloper?
I have never heard of anyone having an issue. Just like people wanting to lock their propane storage door which is illegal.

My suggestion is to go camping and enjoy your camper.

My Alaskan changed hands a few times and was transported several times in different vehicles. Being an 8' C/O the tail gate on MOST eight foot truck beds cab be closed with the camper in the truck bed.

However, mine came to me with a smashed valve....the typical CAMCO plastic three-screw type...and was mounted on the rear panel to the left of the door. I installed a new valve, did a tank sanitization with bleach/water and drained it out twice to insure the taste would not last. (bleach/chlorine does decay or evaporate and the miniscule amount left will help to deter algae from forming anyway.

I will say, the amount of funky, greenish-black scum that came out of the tank once I had the new valve installed and the cleaning cycle to DRAIN was started surprised me. From that I learned that:
a) draining the tank at the end of the seaon leaves some water in the drain hose
b) you should never start your camping season without doing a tank cleaning and draining to remove that scum
c) if you have an "old" camper or one that sat idle for a long time before you bought it, you should consider replacing all the internal hoses at some point in time to avoid failure and flooding and a lack of water when you need it.

Our drain valve hung out in space under the camper's bed-rail over-hang. I could just see a branch or something catching it and ripping it off the camper. So I moved it to a remote location. Now all that is hanging out there is a 90° elbow and a hose that is connected to the drain valve, which is located behind the LH storage access door. Added some pipe insulation for cold weather and dither back and forth about whether to make a mount for the valve or leave it loose.

Andy, it happens. We have an acquaintance who had the black water valve pulled, then closed while the sewer cap was on. When she removed the cap to dump, guess what was all over her feet. It was probably a bunch of kids, as they hit several other trailers at the CG.

That said, I think that stuff is really rare.

Andy Douglass said:

I think I mite have a solution? You're thinking about folks stealing your water? ( Interlopers)

Label the Fresh water as sewage outlet? Easy? Get a nice POOP label printed and slap it on the side by the outlet.
This sounds very MAD MAX has our civilization become to this? Stealing water?

SAD

Ok this is a bit CRAZY... Can one buy a box that would cover the tap and be lockable? You would have to be able to use a secure bolt system to protect the outlet. Or the possibility to use something similar that allows only a simple tool to unscrew what most campground water thieves would not have thus reducing the thief by 99 percent?

Last a german Shepard tethered to the outside of the truck, Like I have to protect more than water?

Last sorry it's leave 2 5 gallon water jugs near by full for free? and hook the solar leads to them?

Sorry

In side you should be able to find the main line hose.... At a reachable area install a pep cock with on and off options. Sorry for the puns but I never thought of this type of thief I was always worried they would take everything. But to answer your question after seeing you are serious yes! you should be able to put a shut off inside the walls but it would be a PINA to do all the time.

Andy Douglass said:
has anyone ever had their water drained by an interloper?

I think the chance of somebody opening the valve maliciously is very rare. If it were to happen, its likely in an area where it's not too difficult to refill on water.

I've had a few times where I've been purposely draining the water tank and people comment that it's open fearing I'm losing water.

The Camco valves are so inexpensive that you could modify one and make it a plug.
The portion of the valve that turns can easily be pulled up and out of the valve body.

Well, FWIW, we once returned to the truck to find a "wash stain" on the side of the truck where I think someone had opened, then closed the valve. This was with an '97 Granby with the old style (?) valve located under the camper wing, at the side.

And, we once returned from a hike to find the valve slightly open, with a very small flow of water discharging. I'm pretty sure I hadn't left it open so I think someone or something had opened it. I say something because we once found the LPG connection loose (and smelled it) after returning from a walk. I'm certain it was tight before. I don't believe there had been any one else around so I think it was a malevolent spirit - we had been walking around the sight of a natural disaster that resulted in human fatalities.

Not sure how this post will be "judged" but so be it.

As for solutions. On our version, adding an internal inline shut off would have easy. I doubt FWC builds them in. And have no idea how easy that would be on newer models. ]

As for tamper proofing the valve. Hard to say in the utter absence of a description, pic, link, model type/year etc. Shooting in the dark really but I'd guess perhaps some way of preventing the lever from being turned. Maybe with a combination of pad lock and perhaps with the addition of plumbers strapping or a lanyard thru the lever secured to the camper wall ??

To be clear, I wasn't thinking about someone stealing water. I was thinking about someone (most likely a child) opening the valve, hence the "mischievous" part. Obviously a lot of us worry about tampering/theft in general when we are away, and I was just starting a casual conversation about it. Since the terrible stock valve on our new camper already leaks slightly when fully closed, I am already planning on replacing it and so I was trying to see if there were any reasonable options that would address the security issue in a convenient way. Don't worry, I'm not losing sleep over it. Conversations are free; not every one is a serious matter.

Apologies that I do not have a photo. I am out of the country for an extended period. I had some work done on my camper as the bottom under the door was taking on moisture from rain and snow. The bottom piece of aluminum began rotting. Long story short, I had the aluminum replaced and the technician (Is this the right term for a camper mechanic?) agreed to help me with the cheap camco water spigot problem. What he did was run the hose out the back where the spigot was and put the valve immediately inside the camper door. So if I want to use the spout I need to access the valve from the inside.

So now the water tube runs straight out the rear of the camper with the valve inside. We will see how that goes.

I got deployed immediately after my camper was repaired so I have not been able to try it.

I replaced the original valve with a red handled twist valve (like for your garden hose). The 2 screws that would hold it on our house fit the attachment bracket that were on the stock one perfectly. Took the top screw off the handle and left it off. Take the handle off when I leave and store it in the camper - put it on when I am at camp. So much easier to open and close then the original - great for filling water bottles, washing hands etc outside. I also screw a cap on the end of the faucet end while traveling to keep the dirt/dust out of the drain. These work great for me :)

I bought an inline Y valve with barbs to install on the braided hose inside the camper between the water tank and outside drain valve. I am yet to install it, and I bought it primarily to keep the line from freezing in the winter, but it would also guard from mischief if one were worried about that.

For draining in the winter:
https://smile.amazon.com/Joyway-shaped-Union-Intersection-Fitting/dp/B07D6CJ3Z7

Just a shut off:
https://smile.amazon.com/Joyway-shaped-Union-Intersection-Fitting/dp/B07FM67DPN

I have a valve on the inside and one on the outside of my camper. Never had any issues and I almost never close the one on the inside. If I was in the desert I might be more cautious.

how about we combine this thread with the other one about replacing the drain valve with something sturdier? I snapped my valve handle this weekend, and thought, well, now nobody can steal my water!!!

:) :) :)

That, and the worsening condition of the bung that the valve screwed into is what prompted me to finally fix what I saw as a design flaw.

Back
Top Bottom