tie down points on an older Keystone

hpcbmw

Advanced Member
I just purchased an older FWC 9' Keystone. I don't know much about these campers, but am learning lots reading this forum! The PO told me it was a mid 1980's, but the stamps have all worn off the serial number plate. I've got the camper on my 2000 F250 shortbed. I don't have any tie downs right now (I used ratchet straps connected to bumper, running board and inside bed tie downs, and drove REAL slow on the 5 mile trip home).

My first (of many) questions is how to best attach the camper to the truck. The camper has the tie down points on the outside of the bed, to attach like a standard slide in camper would attach. I see in another post that people are putting steel or aluminum 4"x6" plates over the wood on the inside of the camper, to mount inside the bed. Can this be done on the older models? Does FWC sell this as a kit?

Next question is how to attach to the truck bed. I'm told the stock bed tie down points aren't strong enough, but read about people drilling through the truck bed and running an eyebolt through each corner. Is there a consensus about what materials to use?

That's all for now!

Well before getting into a long write up on parts, do you want to pick up all the parts yourself or are you hoping FWC can just put a package together for you? If the latter then give the service department a call and at the same time discuss placement, etc.

Otherwise pretty much all the parts can be picked up from somewhere like Mcmaster.com however you'd likely need to cut/drill your own backing plates from some metal stock (not that big of a deal) if you wanted those as well, which is how the new FWCs come.

Back
Top Bottom