Tie Downs and Jacks?

scheefdog

Advanced Member
I just purchased an 87' Fleet for my 02 Tundra and I'm really excited to put it to use. I have a couple of questions to get things started. What is the best way to secure the camper to the truck bed? Also where is the best place to locate the tie downs on the camper? Pics would be awesome.

The camper came with 3 portable jacks and plates mounted on the camper. I'm not all that excited about this system. The side of the camper with only one plate seems to be collapsing a little where the plate is mounted. I would like to mount four semi-permanent jacks on the camper. Has anyone done this on an old camper? Where is the most solid place to mount plates?

I am thinking of using these as they are cheap and I'll figure out a way to mount and extend the length on them. http://www.harborfreight.com/3500-lb-capacity-drop-leg-trailer-jack-3961.html

I'm open to any other advice on how to fix up my camper so please give me some input.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1846.jpg
    IMG_1846.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_1847.jpg
    IMG_1847.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_1848.jpg
    IMG_1848.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_1850.jpg
    IMG_1850.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_1851.jpg
    IMG_1851.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 407
Are these pics your camper and truck currently mounted?

Yes, that is my truck and camper. I picked up the camper yesterday and just used cam-straps to tie it in.

Lots of posts about the tie downs in the past. Easiest way to confirm location though is calling the factory. Could consider bolting through as well since you said you're camper doesn't have tie downs currently?

Jack plates are mounted in the corners and screwed into the aluminum framing on new campers. You'll need to fab something up if using the HF jack. (as you mentioned you'll need to extend to the length on them. I have one in my garage right now, they are 52" from bottom plate to the very top when fully extended).

Another option you may want to consider is turning your "tripod" system system into a four corner system. From your photos I'm fairly confident you have Rieco jacks. They should be available as an "each" in addition to being sold as a "system". Thus buy a forth jack, move the third to the corner, and bingo a four corner system. Doing that should get your third jack mount to the aluminum framing on the corner and fix your "sinking" issue.

I have seen these same jacks on swivel mounts, much like a swing up tongue jack on a trailer. The beauty of that is you can swing them up and out of the way when traveling which eliminates the need to remove the jacks like many do prior to wandering the west. Somewhere on here are photos that show jacks mounted and swung up on a couple of campers. I don't know if Rieco still makes a swivel plate mount or not but may be worth looking into.

Below is the mfgs link for your jacks if I'm correct in my assumption of their origin:

http://www.riecotitan.com/camperjacks/camperjacks.html

Either way, enjoy your Fleet.

Pods- Could you possibly take a picture of the HF jack fully extended and post it for me? Does it crank about the same speed as the Rieco ones(assuming you have a set). That would help me decide if I could make those work.

The jacks that came with my camper look like the Rieco ones but seem really heavy to me, something lighter would be nice. I think my three jacks weigh around 100 lbs. Buying another one to make four seems like a good idea though.

As far as tie downs, can I just use turn buckles to the existing cargo loops in my bed? They seem like they are at least as strong as mounting an eye bolt through the bed with big washers on it. I think I'm going to make custom brackets out of angle iron to mount on the camper to have something to strap to.

Pods- Could you possibly take a picture of the HF jack fully extended and post it for me? Does it crank about the same speed as the Rieco ones(assuming you have a set). That would help me decide if I could make those work.

The jacks that came with my camper look like the Rieco ones but seem really heavy to me, something lighter would be nice. I think my three jacks weigh around 100 lbs. Buying another one to make four seems like a good idea though.

As far as tie downs, can I just use turn buckles to the existing cargo loops in my bed? They seem like they are at least as strong as mounting an eye bolt through the bed with big washers on it. I think I'm going to make custom brackets out of angle iron to mount on the camper to have something to strap to.

I could either today or tomorrow if you want but it looks just like the picture on HF. (The drop leg jack has a few peg holes in it and the extending tube is smooth walled). I don't have Rieco mechanical jacks but my impression of the harbor freight jacks were that they were pretty slow cranking (I'd assume similar though). Downside is the handle on the HF jack isn't removable without some machine work thus you can't use a drill on them easily. There is no way I'd consider using them very often without modifying them though.

You can make your one tie down choices but I wouldn't. The load gets out of the vertical plane doing that.

I would be leery of using the Harbor Freight jacks. Adding extensions will put a lot of stress on the jacks that they were never intended for. I would be skeptical of using that jack in it's intended application (you get what you pay for) let alone seriously modified. My vote would be to get a fourth jack. There is a reason the jacks you have are so heavy.

I forgot about the pic, you still wanting it?

I'm thinking that by the time I modify the Harbor Freight jacks to work I'm better off just using a set that are designed for a camper. That said, I have been looking around at jacks and it looks like I can buy the Atwood corner jacks for about $430 for all four. They look very similar to the Rieco, are they about the same quality? I'd love to find a used set of four corner jacks for my camper, but I'm guessing they don't come up used very often? Then I could just sell my tripod setup.

I made some tie down points out of angle iron to mount on my camper that are way more bomber than eye-bolts and help hold the plywood frame together. Still haven't decided if I want to put eye-bolts into my truck bed. I don't understand why hooking to the cargo loops in the bed would be bad. Can someone explain? The turnbuckles would be at about 60 degrees coming off the camper.

Attachments

• tie downs.jpg
    tie downs.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 205
If someone just wanted to borrow a set of jacks for a while I'd be happy to loan my out. I don't use em much but when you need them you need them.

I don't understand why hooking to the cargo loops in the bed would be bad. Can someone explain? The turnbuckles would be at about 60 degrees coming off the camper.

They're pulling off to the side a lot more than eye bolts in the bed of the camper located more "in plane" to the camper tie downs. They'll see more sideways load as opposed to just vertical load. Whether that is an issue is up to you. Its not the recommended way and is your own liability. May work, may rip things up...

I came across these cool looking truck bed tie-downs when I was looking for a rear cargo rack.

http://www.etrailer.com/Truck-Bed-Accessories/AnchorTrax/AT3375.html

They look like they would be a lot stronger than the standard eyebolt and washer since they are a foot long and would distribute the load better. I think I might have to order a set to give them a try.

Costco carries a similar tie down system:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11602297&search=trax&Mo=1&cm_re=1_en:sleep:Top_Left_Nav:sleep:Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=trax&Ntt=trax&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

At 48"long, one set might be enough for both sides of the camper. $79

The camper came with 3 portable jacks and plates mounted on the camper. I'm not all that excited about this system. The side of the camper with only one plate seems to be collapsing a little where the plate is mounted. I would like to mount four semi-permanent jacks on the camper. Has anyone done this on an old camper? Where is the most solid place to mount plates?
I'm open to any other advice on how to fix up my camper so please give me some input.

Thanks!

I am using what appear to be a newer version of your jacks, except I did not bolt the three angle plates to the camper but keep them attached to the Reico jacks, with larger washers and backing plates, and a rubber pad to keep them from sliping around under the camper. I have four of these jacks, but now use only three since it is faster. I use two on the drivers side which has more of the heavy equipment and one on the passenger side. If you can use four jacks it would seem to be better, but with only three you might also try placing two on your heavy side (driver's side?).
David H
06 Hawk
Mill Valley, CA

Hey Scheefdog, I have a similar set up, an '88 Grandby on an '03 Tundra.

First off, add airbags! Huge help to the ride, cheep & easy to install. I went with the Air-Lift brand over the Firestones - close to $200 cheaper. I think I got them from 'suspension connection'.

As far tie-downs go, mine are integrated in to the bed (I had to build a flatbed to fit the Grandby).
Before I had the Grandby I had a Jayco popup. I fabricated 'outriggers' and bolted them to the frame to tie down the camper via chain & turnbuckles. I still have them and would sell them cheap if your interested. Let me know & I can send you pics & info.
Good luck with whatever you do.

Kevin

Oh yeah! I have a question about your camper. Is the front lift panel the same as the rear (2 piece hinged) or is it just a solid piece hinged from the bottom? Thanks.

Kevin-
Thanks for the advice. I have a high quality add a leaf in the rear of my truck and Bilstein 5100 shocks all around and it seems to handle the camper fine. However, time will tell as I have not logged that many miles with the camper since I'm currently rebuilding the whole thing. Hopefully I'll have it back on the truck next week. Thanks for the offer on the custom outriggers, but I'm going to pass for now as I already ordered a set of the tie-downs that I linked above.

The front lift panel is identical to the rear.

I have another question for you, assuming you have power in your camper. Do you charge the camper battery off the truck? What do you have for a setup if you are?

Hey Scheef.

The PO of my camper did some wiring remodels and I haven't figured everything out yet. Got the camper a couple weeks before a month plus long road trip, so didn't have a lot of time to dial it all in. He added an external 6 prong trailer brake style plug. From there I ran a long extension to my trailer plug. I didn't leave it plugged in, as there was no isolator in the system. Plan was to monitor battery with voltmeter and plug in as necessary. Voltmeter crapped out pretty early on. I plugged it in a few times and never had a problem. Electrical is something I plan on addressing this spring. I didn't use much electricity, so I can't testify as to how well this system worked.

I've been thinking of putting on an add-a-leaf but haven't much time to look into them, what did you go with?
Kevin

Kevin-
I got my add a leaf from ToyTec. It is a long style AAL and Alcan(out of CO) is the spring manufacturer that makes it. It rides really nice and has a nice progressive feel to it. Loaded or totally unloaded it doesn't make the rear end of the truck super stiff like some of the mass produced companies that sell them cheap. It does raise the rear of the truck a fair amount(probably 2") so unless you have weight in the truck all the time you might want to consider doing something to the front as well(I put on Bilstien 5100 shocks that have 4 different setting to lift the front of the truck 0-2.5"). I recommend the whole setup if your shocks are worn out and need replacing anyways.

Back
Top Bottom