Tips for driving Highway 50 across Nevada in July?

takesiteasy

My son and his wife are planning to drive from the Bay area to Denver via Yosemite and Hwy 50 at the end of July. I thought I would post here to see if anyone has any tips for the Hwy 50 portion. They are a bit worried about the potential heat in the desert. Is that an issue? They will be driving a rental car. They are planning to stay in Ely one night. Thanks for any thoughts you have to share.

I drive 50 through Nevada regularly for work, it's very well trafficked and maintained, no real objective dangers. 4G cell service almost the entire drive. Highs in July probably in the mid 80s to mid 90s. But for sure carry a couple gallons of water. Fuel up in Fallon and they'll be good all the way to Ely. Stop in to the Pony Express Deli in Eureka for good food (don't drink the water) and get a jar of spicy chow chow. The much less traveled part of 50 is from Great Basin NP to Delta, UT, probably still no cell service through that section.

Hwy 50 across Nevada is remote but shouldn't be a problem if you have a reliable car. As Nevaska says - be sure to gas up whenever possible as the towns are a couple of hours apart. One of my favorite places to eat is at Middlegate Station near Fallon. I have my InReach with me all of the time - it's not just for backcountry emergencies- you never know where you might end up and need help!!

It’s a nice trip, stop at Hickison Summit CG, near Austin for a break. There’s some interesting rock art there. As far as heats concerned, it’s hot, but not as energy sapping as NE Iowa heat and humidity. Pay attention to the speed limits in towns. If Middlegate Station that Ronin mentions, is the place I think it is, on more vote for an eatery.

Keep in mind this isn't Hwy 80 with multiple lanes and a wide shoulder. There is no shoulder for most of 50 and you will need to maintain your focus on the road. If you get drowsy, you need to stop. Drifting past the white line means you are off the road and on dirt or gravel.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Keep them coming :) We've driven Hwy 50 in the winter but that is a whole different thing. We did visit the Hickson petroglyph site and enjoyed that. Camped at the Bob Scott USFS campground- and were definitely by ourselves there in December, haha.

Well, now they are talking about taking Hwy 6 to Ely from Wawona. Is that a similar road and situation?

+1 for Hickison Petroglyphs. I don't know that I would camp there, but it is a cool spot to get out and stretch the legs. There lots of petroglyphs to see right near camp. We stopped there last September on our way to Great Basin and took a short 10 minute microhike and saw lots of them.

takesiteasy said:
Well, now they are talking about taking Hwy 6 to Ely from Wawona. Is that a similar road and situation?

Highway 6 is the lonelier road but a good two lane. It is a flatter route with fewer mountain passes. Gas up in Tonopah, the nest gas is Ely. I suspect their route is 120 over Tioga and on to Benton where they will junction with 6 and then on across to Ely. Good route we've driven many times. No worries but also no services between Tonopah and Ely. The way we like it. We were just out there. :)

ski3pin said:
Highway 6 is the lonelier road but a good two lane. It is a flatter route with fewer mountain passes. Gas up in Tonopah, the nest gas is Ely. I suspect their route is 120 over Tioga and on to Benton where they will junction with 6 and then on across to Ely. Good route we've driven many times. No worries but also no services between Tonopah and Ely. The way we like it. We were just out there. :)
Ski, yes, that is the route. They are thinking they can do the trip from Wawona to Great Basin in one day, leaving Yosemite early and a arriving for a late dinner in Great Basin. Is that realistic?

Wouldn't be for us but they are young. :)

Leave early in the morning. :)

Wawona and over Tioga through the National Park will be slow going. I suspect the maximum speed limit is 45. It is a steep downhill down to Lee Vining and maybe the highlight of the trip. Once they get to Benton they can start making some time. Speed limit through Nevada will be 70.

We regularly do Ely to home in a day when we have to.

Have them consider staying at the Hotel Nevada in Ely. It is a step back in time.

ski3pin said:
Leave early in the morning. :)

Wawona and over Tioga through the National Park will be slow going. I suspect the maximum speed limit is 45. It is a steep downhill down to Lee Vining and maybe the highlight of the trip. Once they get to Benton they can start making some time. Speed limit through Nevada will be 70.

We regularly do Ely to home in a day when we have to.

Have them consider staying at the Hotel Nevada in Ely. It is a step back in time.
Thanks Ski.

Wawona to Ely shows 7 hr 22 min with Google, 395 miles by Hwy 6.

• On HWY 120 toward Benton there are nice dips in the road that could be exciting if taken too fast, or if there is a cow in the dip.
  • On HWY 6 from Tonopah before and after Warm Springs look for Antelope. At Warm Springs might see Big Horn Sheep.
  • Get gas in Tonopah.

pvstoy said:

• On HWY 120 toward Benton there are nice dips in the road that could be exciting if taken too fast, or if there is a cow in the dip.
  • On HWY 6 from Tonopah before and after Warm Springs look for Antelope. At Warm Springs might see Big Horn Sheep.
  • Get gas in Tonopah.
  • Don't stay at the Clown Motel in Tonopah. It's just creepy.

Fixed it for you. :)

ski3pin said:

i-vppK6pf-L.jpg

pvstoy said:

• Get gas in Tonopah.
ntsqd said:
Fixed it for you. :)

i-vppK6pf-L.jpg
Now we are getting to the good stuff! :LOL: Thanks guys!

Sharing the driving would help a lot. Solo its a bit much but maybe thats just my gray hair talking :)

Back
Top Bottom