tire mount and tool box

smileyd

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

Dorian wants to put a tool box against the truck cab window and then put the camper against the tool box. Since we have a 1992 ford f250 our truck bed is plenty long enough. The camper would only be half way on the tailgate.

He would reposition the eye hooks on the camper so that it would attach to the truck properly. what do you guys think about the safety of this idea? We need extra storage and dont want to put anything on the roof for our old old camper could not take the stress. We are also thinking about drilling and bolting an extra extra tire to the outside of the tailgate which will be down. Can you understand this. Any other ideas for extra tire mounting?

Just an idea, what is your opinion???
Angelina

We are also thinking about drilling and bolting an extra extra tire to the outside of the tailgate which will be down. Can you understand this. Any other ideas for extra tire mounting?

Just an idea, what is your opinion???
Angelina

If your talking about drilling straight into the sheet metal of the tailgate, I would think you'd have some problems keeping it securely fastened without damaging the tailgate. Seems like it would be too much weight and on a few bumpy third world roads and you could lose the tire and/or tailgate.

Perhaps either a fabricated metal frame, that attaches to the truck frame or you could go old school and mount an extra spare to the front bumper....?

Do you tow? If not I'd think about a receiver hitch box for extra storage. I'd be concerned about where your center of gravity might be if you move the camper that far back.

I saw a rig today while driving in the mountains. The guy had a large camper on the back of his truck and was pulling a utility trailer.

He had a large diamond plate box mounted on the frontof the truck. We were on the highway so I couldn't really tell how it was mounted. i looked like a real nice solution for extra storage and helped keep the cg forward. You might be able to install a reciever hitch on the the front and mount a storage box that way.

I have a front receiver mounted on my Tundra DC. It is a very handy item. I mostly use it for a fold up carrier where I carry things like lawn mowers and snow blowers that I can keep an eye on.

I've also been thinking about using it for some type of storage box. I seen other rigs set up this way. Makes the truck longer though.

Dave

Thanks everyone. Dorian comes up with some crazy ideas sometimes. haha

We are going with the hitch cargo carrier and saying screw the extra extra tire.

Back
Top Bottom