Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Shortbed

Newfish

I want to get a double cab short bed and put a FWC on it, but I don't like the appearance of external tie downs. When I called FWC, I was told that they need external tie downs.

However, I see many photos of FWC on what appears to be short-bed double cab Tacomas.

How are people doing this?

Newfish said:
I want to get a double cab short bed and put a FWC on it, but I don't like the appearance of external tie downs. When I called FWC, I was told that they need external tie downs.

However, I see many photos of FWC on what appears to be short-bed double cab Tacomas.

Hello DCSB brother/sister! Best way to go! I'll be installing our Swift next month so I'll let you know what I find out. I've heard Rocky Mountain or a different dealer was using a special bed mount. I figure I'll only be able to switch to that after FWC has done their certified install. I haven't found who is doing the special installs yet but maybe we'll hear from someone here. If it seems robust enough, I'll switch to the interior bed install.

Here's a photo I saved from a different forum topic:

8c622d2a7ed0706f54d55efda96d51a8.jpg

Newfish said:

Newfish said:

I think there is a disconnect in what you were told or the interpretation of external-internal. External would be with something like a fast gun which is outside your truck bed, fronts mounted into outside of bed and rears mounted in sides of rear bumper. The tie-offs are exposed. internal is inside the bed of your truck, which is what FWC does. The turnbuckles are installed through doors inside the camper to brackets on the underside of the camper and "O" rings installed by the distributor in the bed of the truck. There isn't anything exposed on the outside of your truck. jd

longhorn1 said:
I think there is a disconnect in what you were told or the interpretation of external-internal. External would be with something like a fast gun which is outside your truck bed, fronts mounted into outside of bed and rears mounted in sides of rear bumper. The tie-offs are exposed. internal is inside the bed of your truck, which is what FWC does. The turnbuckles are installed through doors inside the camper to brackets on the underside of the camper and "O" rings installed by the distributor in the bed of the truck. There isn't anything exposed on the outside of your truck. jd
I am of the same understanding as NewFish. On a 5' bed they use external mounting. They even asked if I had rock sliders for the install kit. Do you have a 5'? Was it a recent install? I wonder where the disconnect is in mine and NewFish's understanding of the 5' bed install.

I was told the short bed does in fact need external tie downs. Since the Tacoma has a composite bed you can't just drill a hole and mount an eyebolt. My long bed Tacoma has special brackets in it that are mounted to the truck bed (similar to the above photo) and then the tie downs attach to the brackets, but I don't know if these are available for the short bed. Maybe Rocky Mountain has fabbed something similar up for the shot bed.

Sorry guys. I replied without all of the facts. I didn't realize Tacoma ' s bed required something different. I'm a Ford guy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

I am about to face the same challenge. Has anyone learned anything new in the last few weeks? My searches here, on ExPo, and on Google have been pretty fruitless.

Thanks!

FWC won't do the internal tie downs for the front, so they require you to have the external tie downs on the front and internals on the rear only. Rocky Mountain FWC has provided an aftermarket bracket and service that changes the front external tie downs to internal.

Two days ago I received the internal bed mount for both front and back on our brand new FWC on Tacoma DCSB. Here is a photo from the outside to show no external mounts. I had to request this. NOTE THOUGH that the eye bolts are tough to get to. This is my own opinion but I think that's why FWC doesn't make this the default install method.

95768ca905dcf84055bf3ae293576831.jpg

[SIZE=10.5pt]I'll agree with jesmor3. I have 2002 Toyota double cab (so the metal bed not the newer composite) and FWC told me my only option was external tie down. The explanation i received was there was no room for internal tie downs. It wasn't a strength issue. After looking for myself i saw there was room. It's pretty tight on space and kind of a pain but i use internal tie down on my camper without any real issues. [/SIZE]

Attachments

• IMG_5058 resize.jpg
    IMG_5058 resize.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 313
Well, I realize this is a zombie thread, but I'd like to know how those tiedowns are attached. I went through hundreds of google images, and couldn't find one of a camper on a first gen double-cab --this seems to be the only one!

I'd prefer to use external tiedowns, but there doesn't seem to be room for torklifts on these trucks....

Back
Top Bottom