Toyota truck carrying an Eagle

Richard Burton

I currently am carrying my Eagle on a 1986 Toyota xtra cab,4wd,5spd,w the 22RE engine(4cyl,fuel injected).Unfortunately it drones anywhere from 3200 rpm up,making climbing long grades in 3rd a slow 45mph proposition to keep the noise down.And obviously, it is slow,and uses a quart of oil every 500 miles when worked hard. On the other hand I'm getting 18-19mpg.
Have heard that a Toyota with the 3.4 liter V6 has much more pep,gets better mileage than the 3.0 V6, and is a good engine.
Torn between upgrading my vehicle, vs rebuilding it. What is your experience/ideas? Heard some of them had composite beds which were junk....
PS may want to be able to tow a small boat too, which I presume means the v6 for sure....
thanks...Richard

stclair said:
1st Gen Tundra with the 4.7?
^^^This^^^

FWC and two a small boat you need a V8. You will also be $$ ahead selling and upgrading over a rebuild. may get better millage with a V8 also when you have a load.

We carried our first FWC with a 22RE, so I know what you are experiencing.

Skip the 3.0; it wasn't one of Toyota's better designs. The 3.4, on the other hand, is an excellent engine, and yes, you'd expect close to the same mileage (we swapped our camper to a Tacoma with this engine).

There is nothing wrong with the composite bed, which is a feature of the current-generation Tacoma.

As some have mentioned, the first-generation Tundras were extremely reliable. Not sure you could expect the same mileage though.

JHanson has it correct. I don't get quite the mileage you do (about 16mpg - 18mpg w/ camper). Power is good, the composite bed is fine except slippery compared with metal. I use Tork Lift tie downs in front and eye bolts in back.

My experience with rebuilding is that it really never ends. Fix one item and another lets go.

Just my $.02

Composite bed only bad......IF.......you want to bolt it down. If so have a welder "Fab" - 1/4 inch "L" brackets
Under the bed than use 3/8" elevator bolts. Has worked well past 11 thousand miles.

RC Pilot Jim said:
Composite bed only bad......IF.......you want to bolt it down. If so have a welder "Fab" - 1/4 inch "L" brackets
Under the bed than use 3/8" elevator bolts. Has worked well past 11 thousand miles.
Do you have any pictures of your setup? Thanks

You could add a turbo to your 22RE. I have a 1986 4x4 xtra cab with the factory 22RTE that has been built a bit with an upgraded turbo and I wouldn't trade it for anything else I have seen. Plenty of power and gets 15mpg with the camper loaded. Gross weight wet with all my gear is 4700 lbs. No air bags needed. A lot more nimble than most rigs off road. My opinion.

cwd

Attachments

• 2015-01-23 17.01.481.jpg
    2015-01-23 17.01.481.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 120
I remember when those were new. My room mate bought one. Your looks sweet. Nice to see someone else rocking old school. Any overheat problems on hills with the turbo? I've heard from some that hauling weight and turbo's don't always mix well. No personal experience so I'm curious.

Thanks. No engine overheating, but my EGT"S will hit 1500* on long pulls. They came from the factory with a bigger radiator, oil cooler, bigger brakes, stronger rear axle and a R151 5 speed plus a lot of interior features a RE didn't have. There are guys getting 350 HP on a dyno with these motors.

cwd

Back
Top Bottom