Trip to the redwoods and the Oregon Coast

Occidental

Trail Master
Thanksgiving 2015 led me southbound to the California redwoods and then up the coast to Oregon. It was a supreme pain in the rear to get out of town, 6 hours to go 30 miles? You gotta be kidding me....

full

Yes, the first 30 miles took 6 hours. It improved from there. Great sights of redwoods, and more to come of the Oregon Coast in a future post.

full

Plus the fly guarding the restroom was not able to swallow us....

full

As an aside, I found out that posting photos in the forum is really unruly, difficult, and confusing. I started my own website and blog with less confusion than constructing this post. I've done some searching but if anyone has a quick guide, or even a long one, for not having to resize photos or open multiple tabs just to post an update that includes pictures I'm all ears.

More here.... www.occidentalist.org and more on the trip to come in a day or so....Thanks for looking. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

Had planned on going to Smith Rock for Thanksgiving but that snowstorm that slowed your departure kept me away. No reason to drive that far for snow and cold temps!

As for posting, I find it easiest to host photos in a site like photobucket or smugmug and you can just grab a link from the site and paste it in but yes, it does require multiple tabs.

I was camped east of Bend for a few days and with word of the storm headed west. By the time I got to Bend the roads were an absolute mess.

Looks like you had a nice trip.

Yeah that storm really packed a punch. We are still coated in snow and have ice rinks for roads. Hoping some of that will melt off today. Thanks for the photo tip, I'll give it a try.

Occidental said:
Yeah that storm really packed a punch. We are still coated in snow and have ice rinks for roads. Hoping some of that will melt off today. Thanks for the photo tip, I'll give it a try.
I find it easiest to keep my images in a single place on the Internet. In my case, Flickr. Most forums have an edit box that all allows you to post the address of your photo. The image address is the secret, and you can usually get it by right clicking on the photo, and selecting 'copy image address' or something similar for your computer system. By inserting images this way, you can pick (from your photo hosting site), the size you want to insert into your comment.

Occidental said:
As an aside, I found out that posting photos in the forum is really unruly, difficult, and confusing. I started my own website and blog with less confusion than constructing this post. I've done some searching but if anyone has a quick guide, or even a long one, for not having to resize photos or open multiple tabs just to post an update that includes pictures I'm all ears.

More here....and more on the trip to come in a day or so....Thanks for looking. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

www.occidentalist.org
Enjoyed your blog and have it bookmarked with the other WTW blogs. If you have your pictures on your blog they are hosted and can be shared. I like the one below that I copied the URL of and added to my post. You also have your blog address on the bottom of your post. I would make it a link so anyone looking could just click on on it.

www.occidentalist.org

PB250168.jpg

Thanks for the photo tips, sounds like the linking to external sites will work better than uploading, resizing, etc. I tend to take a photo or two and have them backed up to the web already so that will come in handy.

Thanks for the report. We visited the Redwoods and the Oregon coast a couple of years ago around this time of year. Your photos brought back some good memories. Those trees are very cool.

Finished the rest of the story, covering the portion of the trip along the coast. The weather was unbelievable, lots of miles walking the beach.

http://www.occidentalist.org/thanksgiving-2015-oregon-coast/

23350167982_620f38e12d_k.jpg

And after many, many, many tries I think successfully posted a photo from an external site. So many codes and choices, I think I tried every choice flickr gave me before finding one that worked. Hope you'all don't get a notification each time a post is edited....

Occidental said:
<snip>

And after many, many, many tries I think successfully posted a photo from an external site. So many codes and choices, I think I tried every choice flickr gave me before finding one that worked. Hope you'all don't get a notification each time a post is edited....
Yup, finding the address can be the hardest part. I always go to the download symbol (arrow pointing down to horizontal line), the select view all sizes, followed by clicking on the size I want to post. Then I right click on the image and select "copy image address". That's what is pasted into the photo dialog box on WTW. I wish I could figure out how to do that on my iPad!!!!!

One of these days I need to put a thread together on linking to other sources/sites.

Nice report and great pictures. I struggle loading pictures as well. Loaded some to the Gallery and then onto a post. You can load some on the "More Options" Tab at the bottom right. Using the blog makes life very easy. Ski taught me how to copy the latest ip address for the newest blog and then type and underline Oregon Trip,highlight it, and click on the link and paste the ip address. Anyone click on the link Oregon Trip will be taken right to your blog and that post. Ski has Part 1, etc. Give it a try. jd

Very nice report. This is a trip we did years ago when the kids were still kids and we had a tent. Have to get back to Shore Acres. Simpson had a lumber mill and home in Stockton CA where I live. His home has been on several home tours. All wood inside no paint. Every room is a different wood, so the doors may have redwood on one side and oak on the other.

Thanks for the rest of the report.
We have been going to Shore Acres for a couple years now, to spend time with our Eugene friends.
That garden area is beautiful.
The coast is great,except when it'e full of people during the high months of summer.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom