Truckclaws

Yup interesting... any damage being done on internals? seems like something is taking a beating.... that said they sure do seem to get one unstuck....
When I was a kid my neighbor who was a logger with a tractor and log winch got stuck a lot. He chained a log in similar fashion across the tread and backed up and out a few feet... then unchained and slid debris underneath .... same idea and it worked.............. still seems a bit wild a--

I did a whole lot more looking around, especially for solutions that work well in sand. I ended up ordering some Maxtrax II ramps instead of the Truckclaws. I saw a lot of video of Maxtrax working quite well in sand, the thing I worry about most on my desert adventures.

https://us.maxtrax.com.au/

buckland said:
I just happen to bump into this ...certainly does not take up much room and at least for snow/ice this just might work in a pinch. It also seems a heck of a lot easier then chains for a short distance. Zip Grip Go Emergency Traction Aid

I checked them out per Google and ended up on Amazon for these. I like the concept. Per the reviews on Amazon, the concept seems better than the product. Lots of one star reviews saying they broke almost immediately and even got caught up in the hub.

You can accomplish the same effect as the Truckclaws with a couple of short lengths of 2x4 (or branches or . . .) and ratchet straps. MaxTrax are more versatile and quicker to deploy. And the first thing to do when stuck in sand is AIR DOWN. I still am astonished at how resistant people are to lowering tire pressure down to an effective 14-16 psi in sand. I guess it goes against all instinct to deliberately flatten a tire. Plus very few people carry really a high-quality compressor, which is a shame.

JHanson said:
You can accomplish the same effect as the Truckclaws with a couple of short lengths of 2x4 (or branches or . . .) and ratchet straps. MaxTrax are more versatile and quicker to deploy. And the first thing to do when stuck in sand is AIR DOWN. I still am astonished at how resistant people are to lowering tire pressure down to an effective 14-16 psi in sand. I guess it goes against all instinct to deliberately flatten a tire. Plus very few people carry really a high-quality compressor, which is a shame.
Apologies for a bit of a hijack, but what is considered a "high-quality" compressor? Brand/pressure/volume/current draw?

Even when we all stop to air down during Winter Fun theres always someone who just won't do it and winds up getting stuck. The maxtrax sure beat shoveling. In this case since it was only a hundred feet to pavement they saved me from having to air down also.

I have no doubt MaxTrax are robust and high quality, but last winter they were beyond my budget, so I bought a pair of "Portable Tow Trucks". I've used them twice to get neighbors unstuck from their snowy/icy driveways and they are holding up fine. They work, although I have no doubt MaxTrax will last longer and might work better in sand. If you can't afford MaxTrax, you may want to consider the Portable Tow Trucks.

buckland said:
I just happen to bump into this ...certainly does not take up much room and at least for snow/ice this just might work in a pinch. It also seems a heck of a lot easier then chains for a short distance. Zip Grip Go Emergency Traction Aid

One mountain road I drove this weekend was littered with orange pieces of this product so at least one person was having problems with these coming apart.

Back
Top Bottom