Turnbuckles working loose

RaiderRed

I havent broken the code on getting my turnbuckles to stay tight. According to other posts, putting wing nuts and lock washers on them seems to help out. I did this, but only on one side of the turnbuckle. Do you have to put the wing nuts on both sides of the turnbuckle? I am going to try this to see if it helps out. Any suggestions? I spent last week on lots of rough dirt roads and continually had to tighten the turnbuckles. Thanks.

You can't do both sides without buying left hand threaded wing nuts.

If you read that nuts thread currently active, we've all had good success with them on just one side (I even broke a camper mount and was running on 3 turnbuckles without any of them working loose).

I don't use lock nuts and have no problems. I check turn buckles regularly, which should be done even with lock nuts. I don't see any reason for the turn buckles to be more than finger tight. The whole assembly, truck, bed, and camper will flex and shift no matter how tight the turn buckles. The main idea is to keep the camper from falling off the truck. I have addressed this issue before. I believe it would be better if we used ropes with a bit of stretch to secure our FWC/ATC campers rather than turnbuckles. I have tried it both ways. Both systems work but I think ropes are more secure, from practical experience. In addition, I wonder if a more flexible tie down system would not be easier on the camper? _John D

I went up to the local hardware store and got some left handed nuts and lock washers to try on the other side along with the regular wing nuts. Guess they dont make left handed wing nuts. Maybe that will do the trick. This way I will have both sides cinched down tight. By the way, you squids out there (ex Navy guys like me), a wing nut is not necessarily an Air Force guy in this usage,but rather a piece of hardware, FYI.

Fast Guns = 14.5 inches long and $300. Rope = any length, cheap, stronger but knot tying skills are needed

Fast Guns = 14.5 inches long and $300. Rope = any length, cheap, stronger but knot tying skills are needed

Got mine for $120 shipped. Can't remember where from, but someone had posted the link a while back. I think mine are the "derringers", but not sure. A few quicklinks and they are a good length- no measuring, no tinkering each install- just clip 'em on and go. Love mine so much, we named them: Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left, Rear Right :LOL:

I went up to the local hardware store and got some left handed nuts and lock washers to try on the other side along with the regular wing nuts. Guess they dont make left handed wing nuts. Maybe that will do the trick. This way I will have both sides cinched down tight. By the way, you squids out there (ex Navy guys like me), a wing nut is not necessarily an Air Force guy in this usage,but rather a piece of hardware, FYI.

Honestly I think the extra nuts are just overkill and not needed. A few of us running wing nuts on just one side haven't had any loosening problems.

Back
Top Bottom