Tuscarora State Forest in Pennsylvania

ramblinChet

Gone Traveling
This weekend I spent a few days exercising my RAM 3500 with it's AEV Prospector package and Four Wheel Camper pop-up camper. Saturday was windy and rainy while Sunday turned out to be a beautiful fall day. I spent Saturday night being rocked to sleep by the gusty winds atop Bowers Mountain and loved every minute of each day.

Here are a few pictures to share:

Saturday afternoon on top of Blue Mountain.
gallery_11029_1446_982858.jpeg

Sitting in the forest listening to the raindrops meet the leaves.
gallery_11029_1446_1069.jpeg

Dropped down off the mountain for a very early dinner at the Blain Hotel which has been open since 1846.
gallery_11029_1446_1194887.jpeg

Picked up some supplies at an Amish store in Blain before heading back up onto the mountain.
gallery_11029_1446_683991.jpeg

I forgot my book so I checked the local library but they were already closed.
gallery_11029_1446_896324.jpeg

Sunday was a bright beginning to a new day. I hiked for around two hours and felt wonderful.
gallery_11029_1446_257616.jpeg

Fresh bear scat close to where I camped. I didn't recognize the types of seeds so I am not sure what it was feeding on but the meal was juicy. I tried to smell also but was unable to detect any specific odors from berries.
gallery_11029_1446_812568.jpeg

Here is an abandoned railroad tunnel from 1893 on Conococheague Mountain. It collapsed internally several times during construction so it was never completed.
gallery_11029_1446_1110448.jpeg

Departing wonderful Tuscarora State Forest and heading back to plan for another adventure.
gallery_11029_1446_926834.jpeg

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks Chet for the pictures.
Nice fall colors in Pa.

That's about the only thing I miss about
leaving Pa 55+ years ago.

We maybe the "old" homes.
Thanks for posting.
Frank
Having left Pa more than forty years ago, I still miss the pierogis and kielbasa.

In regards smelling bear scat. The Fish & Game captain we interacted with doing the classes we taught asked us to report to him if we ever smell molasses in scat - a common addition to illegal bait piles to attract bears.

OutToLunch said:
Having left Pa more than forty years ago, I still miss the pierogis and kielbasa.
Also the Philly (real) cheese steaks,Tastycake Butterscotch Krumpets,
the big soft pretzels that were sold at the street corners,and some Scrapel.

But not the weather (winter or summer).
Frank

thx chet. appreciate the info, and pics. we saw 5 bears on a hells canyon jet boat trip back in august. a couple cinnamon bears and cubs.

Back
Top Bottom