Ultimate Puncture Repair Kit

dennis 221

anyone carry this for your repairs or to help another in need!! opinions please????? thanks

Yes, I carry a tire repair kit. I’ve yet to have to use it but if I had to, I’d mount the spare and repair the flat when I get to camp, off the trail and when it’s cooler/shade. Others will have different routines.

I also carry a tire repair kit -- which is not the one dennis referred to, but I have put together pretty much all the same pieces. Never had to use it, but it is a comfort knowing it is in the truck, along with a good air compressor, if needed.

I use the Ultimate Puncture Repair Kit from Extreme Outback, which includes not only plugs but an exhaustive assortment of patches, spare valve cores, valve stems, a valve core tool. Tools are all metal. And if you have plugged in an E rated tire you know how hard you may need to push so metal can be important. I have not used it a lot, but is a really good kit. Have only needed to use it once, but important to have where I sometimes go.

We carry the kit from ARB and have used it successfully. It’s best to consider it a temporary repair and latter plug from the inside. That said, we did drive cross country on a repair last fall. A kit is well worth having in my opinion.

I carry a kit, never used it yet on the truck/camper but I have repaired many a bicycle flat and a few flats on other vehicles at home with it. Find a good high volume compressor to go with it.

I have a kit from Safety Seal. I highly recommend a little practice. I had a nail puncture in my truck at home. I was going go over to the tire store and have them do it for free but I decided I may as well practice with my kit. Glad I did as it was not as easy as I expected. You can really feel the steel belts as the tool goes in. It worked well and I consider the repair permanent but I ruined two plugs before I figured out how to do it. Glad I didn't have the learning curve in the middle of nowhere.

craig333 said:
I have a kit from Safety Seal. I highly recommend a little practice. I had a nail puncture in my truck at home. I was going go over to the tire store and have them do it for free but I decided I may as well practice with my kit. Glad I did as it was not as easy as I expected. You can really feel the steel belts as the tool goes in. It worked well and I consider the repair permanent but I ruined two plugs before I figured out how to do it. Glad I didn't have the learning curve in the middle of nowhere.
It really helps to put a lot more air in the tire... lots! Use the reamer to make a hole and lube the plug tip tool and plug up with lube.

First leave the reamer in and if necessary add more air to the tire. Have the plug tool ready and pull reamer and push in plug tool. I just leave the short ends of plug and allow to wear smooth with tire. Adjust tire pressure to what you run.

Back tire, position the tire that the nail is less than 90 degree down. So you can get better pushing if you lay on the ground and push at a slight up angle.

Front tire move nail in the upper segment and turn the wheel outwards so standing you can push down using your upper body weight.

All plugs I have used were in the tire for the rest of its life. If I do see a nail and my tire and pressure is being maintaining I make a decision to take it to my tire dealer to have a patch installed. That is what service I paid for when I bought the tires after all.

Back
Top Bottom