Unlimited Data in truck $20/mo

buckland

Site Team
Just a heads up for those that have the ability to have On-star in their vehicles.... They started a plan 3 days ago which has no contract. Unlimited data through the wifi spot in vehicle. It is LTE 4 so real fast. After 22 gig of the unlimited within a month, it is then throttled until the next month cycle.

I bought a new truck in 2016 and it had the OnStar plan ...i used it for free for a couple months and dropped it. This plan does not require you to have any other OnStar services and can be canceled at any time. One good thing is if you go to Canada (not sure about Mexico but maybe) you will not be charged for the wifi link to cellular. So if there is a signal you can send texts (apple) or email and not sure but maybe Skype voice through wifi.

I got a month and will try it out. Certainly I will get it for the two month road trip this summer so I do not go through my phones data.

One thing for me as I live in the boonies where there is no internet providers...I can do all the updates for iPad/iphone/laptop while driving around or sitting in the driveway.... no more driving to a parking lot outside a library for hours to do updates!!!

Here is a photo of the site where the phone number I used to sign up.
We will see.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 11.10.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 11.10.45 AM.png
    99 KB · Views: 198
I don't have one.... hence this experiment .... can't get satellite due to hill behind western side... in boonies no cable.
I think I'l get a battery tender to keep truck charged and park it beside the house ... still working on the details...who would of guessed?!

How is AT&T's coverage? I have not had much luck with them in the mountains in the NW. Verizon is the go to provider out here.

There are two ways around the key on requirement. One is to change plans to Mobley/ATT plan same as OnStar. One can buy the AC adapter for the wifi unit and bang... done BUT.... their unit doesn't handle the LTE speeds well.
Second Onstar Option would be to keep key on door locked....Also okay if.... there is a way to keep the batter charged up. I checked on an RV sight and they are way ahead on this... one guy attached a battery tender under the hood on wall ...small unit and the AC plug out the front like a core heater. Here is his post:
Yes, the tender attached with circle ring connectors to small screwed terminal already on the battery terminals. It stays connected all of the time. The unit is about the size of a small durable laptop power supply has a minimal LED status readout and is velcro'ed to a flat surface in the engine bay. It is unaffected by the operation of the truck it also has a quick disconnect cable for removal if need be. The truck also doesn't know or care the tender is there. It has a peak 12V of 6 Amp bulk and monitors battery state then falls back to float and pulsing float charge so it could be left plugged in indefinitely with no over-charging harm. The pulsing is said to prevent sulfur crystals on flooded type cells. Would also work for extended storage of coach house batteries etc.. Is comparable with flooded, AGM, and lithium cells. Yes 110V very low current draw.

So I am now looking for a tender like this (I am not a member on the RV site). Any suggestions let me know.

Folks at the local auto store say they install these a lot in firetrucks, snowplow trucks etc. I guess it all depends on how much juice is being drawn out. I can't imagine that with all the accessories off except the wifi that the truck would be pulling more than 1.5 amps. At least that is my hope. I installed it in the truck under the hood near the battery. It is waterproof. Will have to see. Right now the snow is falling heavy and I retreated to the house. Will report back if it works. We have never had internet here and it will seem like magic if we can actually watch a movie streaming from netflix!

Attachments

• IMG_1980.jpg
    IMG_1980.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 116
Just an up date for us hicks in the sticks. This works. Inside got truck's wifi. Battery tender 1.5 amp worked great. Battery in the green for 5 hours while on web. For those on a tight budget this also is a big thing. If you set up a Mogley with an AC adapter ... total under$75 you would have at $20 a month high speed internet unlimited data in the house .... no truck involved. Gotta keep finding a way to finagle.

Back
Top Bottom