update...new owner 92' Eagle

Freelheeler

Advanced Member
My link

I'm starting this topic to gain insight on future mods and creature comforts (the wife know them as 'necessary' upgrades), unfortunately i have a hard time leaving things alone, so it begins...

1)
Change came quick with this camper, starting with the mattress. I purchased the 4" memory foam (queen) and hoped to store it in the over-cab portion of the camper. Unfortunately it's too thick so i bought the 2.5" which i now know is a 2 piece foam verses a solid. So I'm back to the 4" and plan to cut it into 2 or 3 pieces and sew up some new mattress covers. I'd responded to a topic with my issues with storing the mattress behind the couch. I call them the A-team (Moose and Willow) our Golden Retrievers, they very quickly took to the large window when the lower bed was made up during travel. I'd hate to piss them off (and the wife), I like them all happy!

So I'll just store the 2nd piece in between the bed and cabinets during travel, figure if i'm going to have a camper it's going to be comfy

2)
Jack mounts and brackets, the first real wrestling match i had was loading the camper, my 03' tundra with fender flares give me about 1/8" clearance on each side of the jacks (ouch!) no paint has been lost yet. So i'm extending the brackets on the jacks about 2" on each side, plus about 8" in the rear. The big issue with the rear is to gain the tailgate, for a shelf, seat, platform for loading dogs etc. Hopefully a little cross bracing and the bracket with be super strong, i have no plain of driving with the jacks installed, at least for now. Figure if i need to take them i can load them in the camper.

3)
Heat!
The camper does not have a heater, so I've been reading and looking into portable units (mr. heater and wave 3) thoughts/comments?

I'm also in the process of teeing off the LP line for the heater line and outdoor auxiliary line for outdoor cooking. I don't like the little canisters, too much waste and they take up space

4)
Locked outdoor propane storage, looking to mount on the rear of the camper using the tailgate and jack brackets for support, figure during hunting and winter ski trips the extra propane will be necessary.

Plus the propane storage compartment can be used for chains etc.

5)
Lighting
I really like the idea of upgrading the lights to LED, whats the latest and greatest (within a reasonable $$ range). i've also been thinking about fluorescent lights to help with the dimness

6)
Battery power, electrical is not my thing... however i'd like to improve the system. Currently it has 1) auxillary battery (in the camper) which is NOT hooked up to the truck. How would i go about taping into the trucks power at least to charge the battery during travel. (phase 1) purchase at least 1 or 2 good battery, voltage meter and connect to the track.

Future (phase 2) My hope is to build the system into solar, by first purchasing good 2) batteries and the pieces and parts as they become affordable. I know this subject has been discussed a lot but what are the best battery, voltage meter, panels, etc.

7)
pop up helpers, figure on installing the yak box for skis and gear, shouldn't be a big problem but definitely would like to make it easier to deal with.

8)

the list goes on and on, i guess that's why some buy new... anyhow i hope to be tackling these mods, prior to memorial day, (got plans)!

Thanks for all the help thus far

welcome. there are threads in ATC group about roof shocks. several of us have seen the light and installed them. i carry a canoe on the factory rack and the lifters make it easier to lift and lower,a set of 4 plus brackets runs about 100$. the leds i ordered from superbright.com. i just have them on the inside lights,4 sets. check to see what kind of bulb base you have than order the proper base led. they run about $10 per bulb plus shipping. good luck. frank

Welcome and congrats on the camper. Not sure about the '03, but on our Tundra when the tailgate is down I can't get the long metal arm into the slot to lower my spare. You can probaly rig something up, but thought it would be better to know this now rather than find out on the road and have to lift the camper to drop the spare. :eek:

Congrats on your new camper. I just ordered a Bobcat and am the painfull waiting process. for LED lights you can buy LED conversions that screw right into a standard light socket. Here is a link I have been looking at

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/MR16_specs.htm&gclid=CNvFgMmbvKACFWV75Qodwz2LUw

Have fun with all your conversions,

Cort

Freelheeler, looks like you got a used FWC similar to to the one we bought late last summer. Take your time in going through the info in the various forum posts here. We found this invaluable in planning out the mods we did to our unit. Seems like you know your needs and wants really well so that's a great start. Take your time on planning and set the stage now for the future upgrades you are thinking of and then get it done. We enjoyed working on the camper - one project where it turned out we worked well together! - but we are enjoying using it much more!

6)
Battery power, electrical is not my thing... however i'd like to improve the system. Currently it has 1) auxillary battery (in the camper) which is NOT hooked up to the truck. How would i go about taping into the trucks power at least to charge the battery during travel. (phase 1) purchase at least 1 or 2 good battery, voltage meter and connect to the track.

Lots of ways to skin this cat and just depends on your final goals. In general though you're going to want to isolate the camper from the truck when not running or you'll draw down the truck battery.

Some folks use a solenoid/separator to make/break the connection between the auxillary battery and vehicle battery using a ignition hot wire to engage the solenoid when the truck is running. Others use a battery isolator which uses diodes which only flow in one direction to isolate the truck battery from the camper but still allows the alt to charge towards both.

However with both these methods at the camper battery you'll get whatever voltage the alt. is throwing out, minus line losses, and that is the end of the story. In reality though to properly maintain a battery they like a step charge with differing voltages, and voltage is the driving force to get things done (think of it like water pressure moving water around). Initial there is a bulk charge, then an over charge to force in the last bit of juice to top off the battery, and then a lower float charge to maintain the batter without boiling out the acid. However to add some complexity different types of batteries have different profiles and are more forgiving.

Some folks put more weight on this than others. If you're running a cheap $50 battery I can see where you wouldn't really care. However if you're running a couple $250 batteries it could get expensive if you prematurely killed them. Since I'm running AGM's I don't want to kill off I went with a DC-DC charger to connect my batteries to the truck so I get this stage charging that matches what my batteries want and the way the charger is wired into the truck isolates my camper from the truck when the vehicle is turned off.

Long story short you need to figure out what your goals and battery types are going to be. If I had a cheap flooded cell battery I was going to mount in the engine bay and just run a power line back to the camper I'd like just use a cheap solenoid to connect it to the vehicle alternator with a heavy gauge wire. Then just pay attention to fluid levels and top off as required due to off gassing. Instead I have some AGM batteries mounted in the camper so I went the route I did.

My link

I'm starting this topic to gain insight on future mods and creature comforts (the wife know them as 'necessary' upgrades), unfortunately i have a hard time leaving things alone, so it begins...

1)
Change came quick with this camper, starting with the mattress. I purchased the 4" memory foam (queen) and hoped to store it in the over-cab portion of the camper. Unfortunately it's too thick so i bought the 2.5" which i now know is a 2 piece foam verses a solid. So I'm back to the 4" and plan to cut it into 2 or 3 pieces and sew up some new mattress covers. I'd responded to a topic with my issues with storing the mattress behind the couch. I call them the A-team (Moose and Willow) our Golden Retrievers, they very quickly took to the large window when the lower bed was made up during travel. I'd hate to piss them off (and the wife), I like them all happy!

So I'll just store the 2nd piece in between the bed and cabinets during travel, figure if i'm going to have a camper it's going to be comfy

2)
Jack mounts and brackets, the first real wrestling match i had was loading the camper, my 03' tundra with fender flares give me about 1/8" clearance on each side of the jacks (ouch!) no paint has been lost yet. So i'm extending the brackets on the jacks about 2" on each side, plus about 8" in the rear. The big issue with the rear is to gain the tailgate, for a shelf, seat, platform for loading dogs etc. Hopefully a little cross bracing and the bracket with be super strong, i have no plain of driving with the jacks installed, at least for now. Figure if i need to take them i can load them in the camper.

3)
Heat!
The camper does not have a heater, so I've been reading and looking into portable units (mr. heater and wave 3) thoughts/comments?

I'm also in the process of teeing off the LP line for the heater line and outdoor auxiliary line for outdoor cooking. I don't like the little canisters, too much waste and they take up space

4)
Locked outdoor propane storage, looking to mount on the rear of the camper using the tailgate and jack brackets for support, figure during hunting and winter ski trips the extra propane will be necessary.

Plus the propane storage compartment can be used for chains etc.

5)
Lighting
I really like the idea of upgrading the lights to LED, whats the latest and greatest (within a reasonable $$ range). i've also been thinking about fluorescent lights to help with the dimness

6)

Future (phase 2) My hope is to build the system into solar, by first purchasing good 2) batteries and the pieces and parts as they become affordable. I know this subject has been discussed a lot but what are the best battery, voltage meter, panels, etc.

7)
pop up helpers, figure on installing the yak box for skis and gear, shouldn't be a big problem but definitely would like to make it easier to deal with.

8)

the list goes on and on, i guess that's why some buy new... anyhow i hope to be tackling these mods, prior to memorial day, (got plans)!

Thanks for all the help thus far

Awesome! I'm going through the same thing as a new owner of a '94 Ranger II. It sits on a 2000 Ford Ranger which previously had a standard camper shell on it that I had spruced up for frequent camping/climbing trips. The amenities included exterior flood lighting, interior LED rope lights, a switch panel on the side wall near the tailgate, and wiring to an isolated auxillary deep cycle battery in the engine compartment. So to run through your list...

1) Mattress: I've slept on mine a couple of nights and have been satisfied so far. I do have a 4" memory foam topper I could try (that's what I used to use in my truck bed) but I would bottom out through it without extra padding underneath. Maybe a future experiment, but for now I'm satisfied.

One thing I did replace were the plastic angles that protect the wood where the bed slides out. One of them was missing and the other falling off on my camper so I replaced it with some plastic corner guard wall protectors that you can find at any hardware store. Works great.

2) Jacks: I've got a ranger (smaller truck) and the cable jacks, so no issues there...

3) Heat: I definitely want heat too. I'm going to pick up the smallest Coleman catalytic heater http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000004163&categoryid=3000&brand= in hopes that it will do the trick. I have a Mr Heater MH12 http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=42&id=118 and think it would be WAY overkill in the camper. If the Coleman works well, I may try to add a hose/post to run it off of the bulk propane tank rather than those little green canisters.

4) Locked Propane storage: A full propane talk goes a long way. Might be worth seeing how much you use before delving too much into this one.

5) Lighting: I thought about this one too. The dual position switch/dual bulb setup of the lights in my camper lend themselves well to having one LED bulb and one Tungsten bulb (if the LEDs don't put out enough light). Another thought was to install the LED rope lights I had in my camper shell into the FWC. I like the suggestions others have posted for LED bulbs.

6) Battery power: The camper I bought had a deep cycle battery in it with all of the appropriate wiring, so I simply ran an 8Ga wire from my existing isolated deep cycle system to the camper battery, putting the two deep cycle batteries in parallel. Now both charge when the engine is running and separate when it's not, giving me a TON of Ah of energy. My only question is how much life the old deep cycle batteries have left in them before they need replacement.

7) Pop up helpers: Though I haven't seen the need for this yet (I've had plenty of room for storage in my cab and in the camper), I'm impressed with the gas shock systems people have installed. Maybe in the future...

I've got a couple of other additions I'm working on, but nothing too crazy yet...

One is an electric spark ignition system for my stove. I found a AA powered push button grill ignitor with 3 leads at a Wal-Mart for $17 and plan on installing it tonight. I'll take some pictures of the process and results.

I've got Add-A-Leafs on my truck, so there's not too much rear sag, but air bags may still be in order. First though, I'm going to replace the ancient shocks with some new Bilstiens.

A battery gauge seems a useful, maybe essential, item to add as well. I haven't pinned down a location yet, but potentially just on the plastic battery case under the bench seat.

I'm glad I found this forum, and I'm looking forward to modding and spending more time in my "new" FWC.

Thanks for the post!
Adam

well i've been busy thinking thru my issues and work really began to transform the camper last weekend... I will mention that not only has our pup willow had ACL surgery i'm going to be on the cutting block as soon as next friday! so in the next few weeks i'll be doing as much as i can in order to use the camper as a crutch/mental rehab in order to at least get out into the woods and sit need to a lake and let the dogs swim and crack a beer.

So thus far...

Dogs
In order to create more flexible space in the bottom portion of the camper and still allow a raised 'doggy bed' i removed the couch and underneath storage, which really gives us a lot of needed width. then i built a raised 'doggy bed' which slides (similar to the overcab pullout bed) it's at window height and the sections are 2'. This is great when pulled out the dogs can look out the window plus i have 17.5" of storage underneath which fits 2 coolers plus plastic crates. When pushed in and are stacked they're 2' wide and make a great mini seat. This setup still allows for a 3rd person to sleep on the floor.

Cushion
4' memory foam, queen size cut into thirds. 1/2 the foam is in the loft, and the other 2 piece are in the lower portion. i sewed up a water resistant and ripstop cover for the 2 smaller sections and a canvas bag for the larger section which will be used on the 4' 'doggy bed'. just pull off the canvas cover and make the bed. i originally thought i'd have another cushion permenantly for the 'doggy bed' but this becomes a lot of bulk

Propane

electrical

brackets

i'll update when i have more time

Got in a little more work last night...

Heat!! auxiliary propane
Finally got all the pieces and parts to split the propane line and ran a gas line thru the cabinet for a MR BUDDY heater. figured the portability and ability to remove was the best for us. ACE hardware was great with gas line pieces and parts (1/4" and 3/8"). also have an extra line for outside cooking or lantern.

Jack Stands and brackets
Almost forgot to mention, the ranger II (ealge) is a very tight fit on the tundra so i built bracket extensions so i have at least a few inches of play on each side of the fender flares. Also offset the rear brackets so we can leave the tailgate on the truck, much nicer for loading dogs and a place to sit.

Thanks to KC, didn't think i wanted to get rid of my couch but KC is on his way up to pick it up. Sure hope I don't regret this decision.

Solar
FYI Costco in Bozeman has solar kits for $269- (60watt) with controller, i didn't think i wanted one till i saw it in the store. i was able to walk away but that's what i'm thinking about...

Next is Electrical and dog beds

few pics and update

Electrical
figured out the solenoid hookup, secondary battery is now charging from the truck, thanks to a very generous friend. still need to test the fantastic fan the previous owner claims the switch went out? pulled it apart and cleaned the terminals still no go, it may take a big more looking into, but it's still cool and we're thinking heat not cooling...

Solar
Still on my mind, however i'm holding off for a while, figure i'll need the roof assist installed before the panels so more to come.

Lighting
i was big on the led's till i priced them out at the rv store holly crap!!!

Bedding
4" memory foam has been cut and covered, double layer canvas and rip stop nylon protection against wet dogs! the pups love the memory foam

Tires
pulled off the summer tires (4ply) and plan to run the mt snow tires (10 ply). i could feel the difference little less sway.

Fridge
Figured out it's not working off the 12v system (disconnected?)however 120 and propane work. I'm not real comfortable with the propane while driving and may just pull the fridge and try and sell it and purchase a plug'n 12v cooler?? we could use the storage space. Or run the fridge thru the inverter and call it good, i know the draw is significant but with the charging from the truck and propane when the truck it parked??

H20
any suggestion on sterilizing the holding tank and system? figure i should make a few calls and find out but if it's a matter of flushing the system??

It's more or less ready to camp, heat, electric, definitely learning a bit

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 274
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 196
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 258
i love the dogs....goldens are my favorite.

get the 12v reconnected to the fridge....use that while driving. it works great!

Hey Freelheeler

For the fantastic vent fan. They are usually very reliable. If your interior lights are working inside the camper, then most likly you have power to the fan as well. First try and replace the small glass fuse in the vent fan. If that doesn't work, check the small plunger switch on the top of the vent. When they get old they sometimes stick. The plunger switch turns off the fan when the vent lid is close (so the fan motor won't burn up if the evnt is closed). It looks like that little plugner in the old car door jams that pops out when you open your car door and the interior light comes on in the car.

You can get some nice AA battery operated LED lights these days at the hardware store (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.).

They are check, work great for additional lighting, and easy to install.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgt/R-100670776/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

A table spoon or two of bleach in the water tank, let it sit in there for a few hours, slosh it around a bit, drain the tank, flush & fill the tank a couple times after that to get most of the bleach out. That should help sanitize the water tank. Or fill the tank and bring bottled water for drinking.

Or order a kit from Camping World ...

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/thetford-fresh-water-tank-sanitizer/33229

Hope this helps.

Happy Camping !

few pics and update

Fridge
Figured out it's not working off the 12v system (disconnected?)however 120 and propane work. I'm not real comfortable with the propane while driving and may just pull the fridge and try and sell it and purchase a plug'n 12v cooler?? we could use the storage space. Or run the fridge thru the inverter and call it good, i know the draw is significant but with the charging from the truck and propane when the truck it parked??

If there is 12v at the fridge but it is not cooling, the 12v heating element may be burnt out. 12v is the way to run the fridge when diving but the battery will draw down very quickly if it is not being charged.

I run my Norcold fridge on propane on the road always and have never had it blow out or cause damage, funny but I have had it blow out while parked in high winds. I have 12 volt on it but never use it, I doubt the manufacturer would reccomend this but then again niether do I(disclaimer).... just giving you my own experience. I installed LEDs in my camper not from the Rv store but from superbrightleds.com go to the rv marine section PCB lamps you can get them as low as 7.50

I run my Norcold fridge on propane on the road always and have never had it blow out or cause damage, funny but I have had it blow out while parked in high winds. I have 12 volt on it but never use it, I doubt the manufacturer would reccomend this but then again niether do I(disclaimer).... just giving you my own experience. I installed LEDs in my camper not from the Rv store but from superbrightleds.com go to the rv marine section PCB lamps you can get them as low as 7.50

Tim,

I wouldn't be worried about your fridge blowing out; I'd worry about it blowing up!

Having that little propane flame burning when you're gassing up is not a great idea.

Stew

Regarding the fantastic fan. This company has great support. Many times free parts. I called the company about mine and they said they would fix it for free. Just send it in. They sent back a nice note that said it was beyond repair but enclosed is a brand new one no charge. They used to have a rep at Qsite but no more.

Thanks for the advice

H20 sanitize???????
sounds easy but there's got to be an easier way to drain the storage tank. pumping takes awhile

Fantastic fan
sounds good I'll pull it out and send it back, i've got a few weeks of down time...

Fridge
took a look at the price of the engel cooler and other similiar units and wow i may look into hooking up the 12v

If you run the frige the night before you take off traveling there is no need to run it while driving. As long as you keep it closed up during the day, it will stay nice and cold during your drive. If you stop for an extended period during the day, run it on propane for a while while you sight see or have lunch. Do not run it on propane while driving! The 12 volt element can be replaced if needed ( very common repair )if that is the problem but the frige will work just fine without it.

Back
Top Bottom