Upgraded the rear window

craig333

Riley's Human
Or is it the front? Depends on your pov I guess. I've been thinking about this upgrade for a while now and decided to pull the trigger. My curtains were dirty and falling apart and the new one has a tinted window. Even easier to do than I thought. If you can use a screwdriver you can do this one. I spent more time cleaning up than I did installing. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRRNQNP?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

The shade stays in whatever position you leave it.

Plus I now have a spare window if do something stupid. Only bad part is I no longer have my stickers.

IMG_20230727_135847673%5B1%5D-L.jpg
[/url]

Craig, that’s a nice window and install. When you open the shade, do it slowly, as the folds have a tendency to get wonky. If they do, just reopen then close slowly.

Yep, I like the idea of this enhancement. And it looks like a dominant percentage of users on Amazon are happy with it, yet I'm a bit confused by some comments of a small percentage of them who gave it a 1-star rating and seem to think that it's of poor quality. Since the claim is that it's made in the USA, I'm surprised there'd be any significant quality issues with it . . . but are there? Nonetheless, I'm likely to go along with the lion's share of users and assume it would be a worthy upgrade to our FWC's door, so I'm now planning to follow suit. Thanks 333 for letting us know about this product.
Rico.

That looks like a great improvement. I can't tell you how many times I have closed the door on a windy night and the curtain had blown out and up over the top. This looks pretty slick! As I have a 2011 Eagle.... Am I assuming correctly that the rear door windows are all the same?...so this would work?

Apparently this is one place where the industry has actually standardized on one size. Yay! I suspect the people who rated it low had installation difficulties. The instructions could be improved but really its one of those things most people can install without reading the instructions.

I'm doing a mockup on mine as we speak, figured I should before trying to mount it. My shade has about a 1-inch gap when stretched out and laying in the frame, but with some additional stretching and the use of tape on both ends it fits between the flanges; however, you can sense a lot of tension in the cords. The two YT demos I viewed did not suggest such a wide gap or that amount of tension, but we'll see. The other thing I should mention is this: for some unknown reason the service department at AP Products doesn't recognize Amazon as an approved distributor of their products, and would not reply with answers to a couple questions I had. So at this point it seems I'll be unable to rely on any customer support from AP since I unknowingly committed the deadly sin of using Amazon to make the purchase. Jeezlouise. Oh well, heh, I do like the product and am looking forward to the install.
Rico.

Attachments

• ap_pleated_shade (1).JPG
    ap_pleated_shade (1).JPG
    226.4 KB · Views: 47
Bringing this back to the top as I had a hard time finding it.

Going to order one next week for the Hawk Flatbed.

Those that have one, how is the shade material holding up?

Thanks, Patrick

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess the shade material is pretty tough and water proof if you have the door open in a downpour event.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Downpour event and open door are mutually exclusive.
Though a sane person would not enjoy having a door wide open in a downpour....

If you are having the door open and the two of you are getting in or out, it takes time. Or popping up the camper need volume of air to fill.

Either way the shade is going to get wet to some degree. Just curious how the material takes and handles the water. Will it still work after it dries if the material is not effected by water (shirking, deforming, etc)

Just looked for one of these in Canada. Lippert makes a competing product that gets terrible reviews. The black plastic warps in the heat. Any experience with that here?

PaulT said:
You’re one of those positive thinkers, aren’t you? :unsure:
Or, Camping only in red rock country has its benefits, eh?

Paul
​Paul, the dry side has a few positive benefits. For example, a traffic jam here is more than one car at a stop sign, because any town with a stop light is far too big. We can also see the sun in all four seasons. Did I mention that stars are visible… often? :p

pvstoy said:
Though a sane person would not enjoy having a door wide open in a downpour....

If you are having the door open and the two of you are getting in or out, it takes time. Or popping up the camper need volume of air to fill.

Either way the shade is going to get wet to some degree. Just curious how the material takes and handles the water. Will it still work after it dries if the material is not effected by water (shirking, deforming, etc)
Patrick, to be honest, I hadn’t considered those conditions, as the windows with the folding blinds are in our hard side camper. It has an awning over the back door. The most water those blinds have encountered is from condensation (a lot of condensation), but I’m not sure if the blind material touches the glass.

So received our door window today from Amazon. Disappointing when I opened the box. The box was properly sealed with staples on each end.

The black sealer bead around the edge was stuck to the cardboard box.

Where the window sits against the front frame there is a black sticky bead of caulking. Well that has shrunk on all 4 corners as shown in the pictures.

The glass is in backwards as the etched tempered letters are facing in.

Since the glass did not have any clamping force, it has slipped down.

So what to do?? Any advice.

I guess I can use a razor blade and work the black bead of sealer off the glass.

See if I can reshape the bead with mild heat to see if it will stretch back to the radius where it is should be?

Remove all sealant and buy my own and start over?

As I have read on Amazon reviews I'm not the only one that has received theirs with the sealant not in the corners. Pictures below
20240530_155140_resized.jpg
20240530_155151_resized.jpg
20240530_155204_resized.jpg
20240530_155251.jpg
20240530_155306_resized.jpg
20240530_155324_resized.jpg
20240530_155347_resized.jpg
20240530_160018_resized.jpg

Wow, quality control has gone downhill. I didn't have the issue on mine. I did add a bead of silicone on the outside just in case. Didn't want water leaking inside.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom