Used fwc measurements fit guide

newtofwc

Advanced Member
Because the following question seems so obvious, it seems dumb to ask. What measurements are necessary beyond these; and which is most likely to offer a no go situation?
  • Width between wheel wells
  • Interior bed width
  • length of bed interior
  • wheel well location
  • depth of bed
Taken from FWC website: http://www.fourwh.com/used-camper-fit-guide/used-four-wheel-campers-general-fit-guide/

"Most Chevy / GMC Trucks: Always make sure you take careful measurements of your truck bed and used camper before you buy it, so that you know it will fit."

Attachments

• right corner silv bed.jpg
    right corner silv bed.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 101
  • silver bed.jpg
    silver bed.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 83
  • silver bed2.jpg
    silver bed2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 90
  • silver bed3.jpg
    silver bed3.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 97
  • truck bed silverado long.jpg
    truck bed silverado long.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Img01_11-09-2015.JPG
    Img01_11-09-2015.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 111
You might want to measure the height of the top of the truck cab, from the bed.

I once bought a Phoenix camper that wasn't quite tall enough over my truck's cab -- the bottom of the cabover grazed the top of the cab. :cautious:

Another thing to consider is whether or not the camper needs a 'notch' to fit around a fuel filler or curve in the bed to bed wall area.

Google this search... wander the west: ranger notch

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Another thing to consider is whether or not the camper needs a 'notch' to fit around a fuel filler or curve in the bed to bed wall area.

Google this search... wander the west: ranger notch
And new Chevys need a notch at the tail gate.

newtofwc said:
Thanks for the google search. That's a real neat trick.

I added an image of my interior left side. No filler neck like those FORDS, but a nice curve in the corner; maybe this is the "notch" area they speak of. The web link I posted gives a certain amount of confidence to 2002 and beyond units working. We shall see.
The 2002 reference is for the distance needed across the tail gate. When looking for my first used Hawk I found what I was told was a 1997 Hawk. Measured across the back and it was 58" so I bought it. Check of serial# found it was a 2002. The older campers will be around 62 inches and not fit many newer trucks.

As far as the notch here it is.
med_gallery_1903_342_1806846.jpg

Stan said you can also raise the camper 5/8" to clear the round Chevy corner. More info on this thread.
mXlVVKxg__RjK49s2DuXAfg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom