USFS and BLM CG status

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1
Guys what the status of BLM/FS CG's out there? I usually head up into Or, or over to central Nev or the CA coast this time of the year, but the BLM (Interior) Web sites are down with allot of two day notices and goodby to the cg hosts stuff , and the local FS sites notes "reduced services" and "pick up your mess", and with no govt office to call about local status and without getting into the political discussions , what is the status of your local CG's? I just got back from my latest trip and stayed in mainly Govt Cg's (as usual ), but I doubt I could repeat that same trip now, but I don't know. I'll make a drive around here later this week to check status, but I need to think before I head out anywhere else.

Thanks

Smoke

Our local National Forest's website says this:

"Some concession operated campgrounds are still open. Check out the Campground Status page for the list."

Problem is that the status page is not up. Maybe they had to leave before they got it done and online? :eek:

ski3pin said:
Our local National Forest's website says this:

"Some concession operated campgrounds are still open. Check out the Campground Status page for the list."

Problem is that the status page is not up. Maybe they had to leave before they got it done and online? :eek:
That sounds right to me! I remember how I felt during the last one :( ! We had several multi-state power projects coming thru this area with allot of contract crews out-since the environmental compliance teams (me) wasn't "essentual", everything had to be shut down, & cause there was noone to sign off on anything-we were pissed they were pissed and nothing got done! That's why the many closedowns were short-to many people got pissed off and were loooosing $. But it doesn't seem fair though that you will not know what is open or closed until you get there-although I understand the Corps of Engineer sites (witch are probably filling up fast with displaced camp hosts and other wandering RV folk) and some state/fed stuff are open because they have a different sources of funding. Most of us dry camp anyway, but supposed you have to drive thru some place like the Hart Mountain area or the King Range, to get somewhere- is the road open or closed-if it is a state/county road "yes", a fed road "maybe no", there are not enough rangers and LE officers out there to take care of these areas now, who's going to stop the bad guys now-rememnber all the flack about shutting down the Ca State Park system-well this thing holds true to that only worse. Times are interesting arn't they :eek: !

Smoke

Just got a text from a friend fishing up at Grant Lake (June Loop), they are getting booted.

SunMan said:
Just got a text from a friend fishing up at Grant Lake (June Loop), they are getting booted.
Looks like those are run by the concessionaire - Inyo Recreation -
So are concessionaire campgrounds are also being closed? In this instance it could be that the shutdown is only moving up the seasonal closure of east side facilities which is usually around this time.

I was looking for some information on local BLM land yesterday and noticed the BLM link sends you to the DOI page which has a little info regarding the shutdown. For the life of me I can't figure out why the websites are down to begin with... A statement maybe about the info not being current but to "turn off" the site... Really? It's not like anyone needs to be there. Maybe the last person out the door pulled the plug when they turned out the light... <shrug>

Actually, people are needed full time - around the clock, actually, to keep websites up. There's lots that goes on "under the hood" that the average person never has to think about.

Just to scratch the surface. Websites run on servers, servers are computers that need maintenance and attention. Sure any one server could probably run for a while without attention, but sooner or later some little glitch would knock it offline and then you wouldn't even get a "sorry we're closed" message.

Most of these websites run dynamic pages that pull data from database servers to create the pages shown to visitors, so those also have to be maintained, etc.

Servers run in arrays placed in computer rooms that have to be monitored for power usage, temperature, etc. So lots or resources need to be dedicated to that task and part of their budget, which isn't getting passed, is for the not insignificant electrical power to run the computers and the physical plants to power the buildings, run the chillers to keep the temperature within operating limits of the computers, and routers, and switches, etc.

Personnel need to keep an eye on the logs and transactions to maintain security.

Then there is the communications infrastructure to keep the data flowing in both directions; that takes more computers and equipment and more people to run those. Etc.

I would have assumed the campgrounds run by concessionaires wouldn't be affected but maybe not. I do wonder about LE during hunting season. Though the state cops will still be around.

Bosque Bill said:
Actually, people are needed full time - around the clock, actually, to keep websites up. There's lots that goes on "under the hood" that the average person never has to think about.

Just to scratch the surface. Websites run on servers, servers are computers that need maintenance and attention. Sure any one server could probably run for a while without attention, but sooner or later some little glitch would knock it offline and then you wouldn't even get a "sorry we're closed" message.

Most of these websites run dynamic pages that pull data from database servers to create the pages shown to visitors, so those also have to be maintained, etc.

Servers run in arrays placed in computer rooms that have to be monitored for power usage, temperature, etc. So lots or resources need to be dedicated to that task and part of their budget, which isn't getting passed, is for the not insignificant electrical power to run the computers and the physical plants to power the buildings, run the chillers to keep the temperature within operating limits of the computers, and routers, and switches, etc.

Personnel need to keep an eye on the logs and transactions to maintain security.

Then there is the communications infrastructure to keep the data flowing in both directions; that takes more computers and equipment and more people to run those. Etc.
Must be a government thing. I run/manage a couple of websites... once the pages are built, other than updating the info, there is little to do. We have a server farm here at work, if something goes haywire, the system will shut itself down... To simply put out a website involves little effort once it's done. I understand there is maintenance....but there is not *that* much maintenance to do and no real reason to shut it down completely. I would even hazard a guess that the same servers also run a bunch of essential functions and pulling the plug is not an option so the someone is there to "maintain" the servers.

It's not much different than running people out of Refuges or Monuments that dont require much attention. Hart Mt is an example, they have run everyone out of there. The State issues 15 deer tags and it takes years to get one. Poor guys that spent years trying to get the tag got screwed. There is 5 days left in the season. Is Hart Mt gated at every access point? Somehow I doubt it so why is there a need to usher people out of the area??? I wonder if I can hunt in the national forest this weekend? Is it going to be posted "keep out" ? haha Makes no sense... Sorry for the rant but the whole thing is stupid.

Riverrunner-go ahead and rant---as a retired BLMer-I have been trying not too! As to your other comments, I was thinking of heading up to the Steens via Hart Mtn, thanks not that way now, I'll head somewhere else. As to shutting all the fed place(s) down, it's something I never understood, but there is a reason, for example, if we sign an old mine"danger" don't go here, we become liable if some dummie falls in, if we don't sign it, we are not responsable-make sense no, but that's how it works. So, without the feds (or someone) to rescue you if you get in problems on public land, you can't wander on fed land (officially); so add the deer hunters to the list, and store owners and gas stations and old farts like me that like to wander out there ! Try being one of the government hosts who have lost there jobs, and have no where to go now, or, hope if you live out there---no fires start (yep have reduced crews), without folks on the ground to get that first look (including hunters and people like me and the other WTW folks,,,ect--) we will get some major disaster out there. Starting to rant, anyway, any savings they think they will get from the shutdown, are lost in the first week or when the first bad thing happens. Anyway, that's how our system seems to work now, common sense is gone and all you care about is you! Maybe its to the coast, via COE cgs. Have fun!

Smoke

Makes sense to me that anything run by concessionaires would close. They are paid by the Federal Gov't. So if they aren't getting paid...
The whole shutdown thing hit me personally when I went to check out the weather for a planned trip next weekend. I have found NOAA to be the most accurate weather site. So I was bummed to see they are shut down also. F'ing politicians.

Gotta love the people who say "shut it down, whats the government do anyway". Well quite a bit. I visited Fish and Wildlife today. What an efficient operation they run. I was out in three minutes. I had to stop listening to talk radio. I'm pretty sure something got into the water, what else explains the pols behavior?

Just came back from our Yellowstone trip through Ebbets Pass and found some of the campgrounds open.But there isn't any way to close some of the ones I passed.
Hope everyone's plans haven't been too messed up.
Got kicked out of YNP on the 1st but spent several great days there. We could have stayed another two nights in our campground,but we would have been restricted to the camp limits.Couldn't even go near the river.I had been told that "tickets" would be given if you even stopped to sight see on the way out.Pretty drastic.
But we had a great time and it will be there next time.
Frank

Frank
Glad you had a nice time anyway, besure and write you congressman! I tell you what Frank it sort of messed me up, I sort of count on using BLM and FS CG's to dry camp in when I go Wandering or if they have heads and water all the better, because you can't count on finding State, KOA or COE campgrounds where I go, After all these years you get sort of used to them and when there gone or you don't know if they are open or closed, it makes that trip planning a little more adventurous. Well, I quess I could keep stacking wood in the shed, and thinking of that first trip, or just say the hell with it and head out & hope to find a nice one of those dispursed CG's out there that is open!

Smoke

Ted said:
Makes sense to me that anything run by concessionaires would close. They are paid by the Federal Gov't. So if they aren't getting paid...
The whole shutdown thing hit me personally when I went to check out the weather for a planned trip next weekend. I have found NOAA to be the most accurate weather site. So I was bummed to see they are shut down also. F'ing politicians.
This is what I found at the NOAA site and at least the weather reports seem to be up: "Due to the Federal Government shutdown, NOAA.gov and most associated web sites are unavailable. However, because the information this site provides is necessary to protect life and property, it will be updated and maintained during the Federal Government shutdown."

(BTW, gas in Missouri was 2.95 per gallon. Here in KY it's 3.25.)

[SIZE=15pt]Bridgeport California gas at Shell is $4.999 per gallon. $3.899 in Bishop.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=15pt]Mono Lake visitor center is closed. Campgrounds are closed along with bathrooms locked. Campgrounds that have no control gate like up Lundy Canyon along the river are open with people camping. [/SIZE]

Back
Top Bottom