Utah Parks Mid June

brianjwilson

I'll be packing the Jeep for a solo trip to Arches, Canyonlands (General Moab area), probably down to the Grand Canyon and beyond, mid June. My planning is loose for now, I'm just planning to hit the road and get away for a couple of weeks. I have only driven past Moab on the way to Louisiana so I'd love an insight on the area. Specifically any help with back country permits, free/cheap camping, anything of that sort. If anyone else is going to be in the area I'd love to meet up with someone who is more familiar and maybe spend a few days exploring together. I know it will be hot out there in June but it's going to be better than the humidity in the gulf! The Jeep is locked on 35s so it's plenty capable but I'm just as happy to get out and explore.

A lot of the reading I've done suggests that camping within canyonlands requires a back country permit which may or may not require at least a two week advanced reservation? I'm a work (17 - 14 hour days flying offshore) so I can rarely make any sort of calls during normal hours to check into this stuff. It appears that there is a lot of BLM land surrounding the parks but I really enjoy sunrises and would like to be in some of the parks when the sun comes up whenever possible.

Let me know if you'd be interesting in joining me or have any helpful information! I have one book with me out here but the info is of limited help without personal experiences.

Thanks,
Brian

A good place to start looking for campgrounds is at Dirty Dog's other site, CampingUSA.

I particularly like Goblin Valley State Park if I am in need of a shower.

Goblin Valley:
gallery_172_59_179746.jpg

A good undeveloped BLM site, with great sunrises, is on the rim of the Horseshoe Canyon section of the Canyonlands NP. There is a great hike into some rock art in the canyon.

Horseshoe Canyon CG:
gallery_172_38_75135.jpg

Both of the above CGs are close to the San Rafael Swell, a great place for your jeep to have some fun and you can stay a the Wedge Overlook on the rim of the Little Grand Canyon for more great sunrises.

Little Grand Canyon:
gallery_172_59_200260.jpg

But there is so, so much more!

Have fun and take some photos. We like photos!

Isn't it going to be hot during this timeframe? We did WRT during early october and it was perfect.

Is car/vehicle camping allowed in San Rafael Swell? I just looked at my map and realized we stopped at the rest area near Black Dragon Wash off the 70. The view was amazing.

Isn't it going to be hot during this timeframe? We did WRT during early october and it was perfect.

Is car/vehicle camping allowed in San Rafael Swell? I just looked at my map and realized we stopped at the rest area near Black Dragon Wash off the 70. The view was amazing.

Yes, one can disperse camp in The Swell since most is BLM land. The ranch exits on I-70 west of the Black Dragon Overlook provide access to many dirt roads at Head of Sinbad and there are also many camp spots north of the San Rafael River along Buckhorn Draw.

Head of Sinbad Country and I-70:
gallery_172_59_244644.jpg

Campers in Sinbad Country:
gallery_172_59_103243.jpg

View at Black Dragon Overlook on I-70:
gallery_172_59_25143.jpg

Buckhorn Draw near the Bottom of the Little Grand Canyon:
gallery_172_59_265928.jpg

Thanks for the recommendations!

My wife decided to join for me as long as her work allows. We'll be heading out June 7th. Overnight in Boise with family, then to Moab area Saturday. Looks like I can find things to do in the Moab area for several days before moving south. From there, I need to do some planning. Next week I'll be sitting down with some maps and at least marking some "interesting" spots that I can find.

I'm still a little undecided whether I want to cruise around the north rim or the south rim of the Grand Canyon. The south side looks more touristy but I did see some things that looked appealing heading that direction from Moab.

Yes it will be hot, but much less so than it would have been if I were working offshore in the Gulf right now with high humidity. I can take a dry heat. ;)

We were planning to do the same trip leaving on the same day but work has forced us to postpone until the end fo July. Yes it will be hotter then. Been looking over the area for ideas. This seems to be pretty good site for camping in the Moab area.

http://www.discovermoab.com/campgrounds.htm

If you are going to the Grand Canyon, you may want to consider driving into Toroweap Pt. It's on the North Rim and offers remote dry camping at the very edge of one of the narrowest spots of the Canyon. I recall it is only about 1/4 to 1/3 mile wide at that point with a straight vertical drop of 2,800 ft to the river. When there with my wife about 10 years ago, we got a primitive site about 100 ft from the edge. I sat on the rock with my spotting scope and watched rafts run Lava Falls just down stream. At the time, that part of the park had no entrance or camping fees as it is 60 miles down a dirt road. I recall you pickup the Antelope Valley road outside of Fredonia.
Not a good place to be if it get's wet. Absolutely spectacular views. Google Toroweap Point images.

We were there over July 4th week and it was toasty. Be sure to take ample water and stay hydrated. When we arrived there, we ate lunch and had a beer and then took some short hikes. My wife ended up getting heat exhaustion later that evening, so we drove out the next morning and got an air conditioned motel for the day/night. She snapped back after some rest and fluids. We wanted to spend more time in that spot and hope to get back in some day. it was a good reminder of what heat, elevation and a bit of alcohol can trigger if you don't push liquids in the desert environment.

Have a good trip.

TGK

Thanks! I've been looking at toroweap as well, it's high on the list. The south rim looks very touristy, but havasu falls looks amazing. I don't think we'll have time to do the hike there though, and it will be hot enough that I probably don't want to hike that much in the heat anyway. Will probably still to shorter morning hikes and driving in the afternoon.

We'll see how it goes, I'm carrying 10 gallons of water as well as other drinks. So far the forecast for the first part of the trip looks like highs around 90, lows around 60. If that holds true it shod be pretty comfortable as long as it cools off a bit at night.

TGK said:
If you are going to the Grand Canyon, you may want to consider driving into Toroweap Pt. It's on the North Rim and offers remote dry camping at the very edge of one of the narrowest spots of the Canyon.
TGK
I was at Toroweap with MarkBC a few years ago and Mark pointed out that the old camp on the rim had been moved to a rocky flat some way back from the canyon's edge. The old CG, at the end of the narrow 4x4 road, is now a car park and overlook, but the views remain the same--simply astounding!

Back
Top Bottom