Vancouver Island

Ramblinman

Hey all,

Just in the beginning phase of a two week tour of Vancouver island. I hope to stay away from Victoria. If anyone has any advice,experience,suggestions, or must see's I would be happy to hear it!

I could tell you lots about vancouver island but if you want to have real good scenery, great fishing, hiking, hardly no people, etc come on up to the Yukon.
Where are you at in Alberta?

Robbie

I can offer lots of suggestions, but it would help to know when you plan to travel. Some of the Island gets pretty crowded at peak season and is best avoided, for my nickel.

Here now until the end of June. I would like to make my way to the top of the Island and the over to Tofino. I am at a provincial. Campground which is nice, but between mothers yelling at their kids, barking dogs, and loud music, I will need to choose different venues.

robbie said:
I could tell you lots about vancouver island but if you want to have real good scenery, great fishing, hiking, hardly no people, etc come on up to the Yukon.
Where are you at in Alberta?

Robbie
Edmonton - Yukon, NWT, Alaska is on the bucket list

Ramblinman said:
Edmonton - Yukon, NWT, Alaska is on the bucket list
Ramblin,there are some quiet camp sites on the road to Port Alice,just south of Port Hardy.
The campground at Elk Falls, outside Campbell River is nice. During the week would be better.
Like Robbie said go to the Yukon area lots of space.
Enjoy the trip.
Frank

Sorry; I didn't read your first post very well, did I? Tofino/Ucluelet is wonderful but it will be crazy busy this time of year. The National Park CG is good, but I'd be ready to bet it's full. The campground at Sproat Lake between Port Alberni and Tofino is pretty good, but again, dunno about crowds. There are some good CGs north of Campbell river, and it's fine country. I'm rather partial to Strathcona, inland from Campbell River, and it probably isn't too crowded yet. Don't bother with Buttle Lake if you don't care for the noisy family stuff--Ralph
River is a better bet.

Toquat Bay (various spellings--south of Ucluelet) is new to me, but might be worth a look. Here's some web info.
http://www.coastandkayak.com/secretbeach/index.html

Enjoy. I'll look forward to reading a trip report.

Ramblin - Hope you are enjoying your trip. We too like the north end of the Island. If logging roads are OK with you, there are many great areas with few people. Pick up a map from Western Forest Products (logging company). They support numerous campgrounds which we have always found to be remote, uncrowded, and free. We have had two great experiences at Muchalat Lake north of the town of Gold River. Also, free waterfront camping at Zeballos, southwest of Woss. In the Cape Scott area (far northwestern end of the Island) there is camping and a beautiful walk to San Josef Bay. While not the best for camping (there is a town maintained campground there), we find ourselves returning to Alert Bay (out of Port McNeil) very time we go to Vancouver Island. There is a great cultural center (U'mista) and a non touristy vibe that appeals to us. Lots to see . . . . enjoy! - Richard.

Wow! Thx everyone this is great info. So far it's been great. We camped at Rathtrevor and Miracle Beach. Very nice CG's but that is not why I have a FWC. Great for families. We are looking for quiet :). I think we will head to Strathcona and then to Zebellos! If u have any other suggestions pls let me know.

Ramblin - Glad you are having a good trip. Here is something that might appeal to you: After you leave Strathconia, take the paved road to Gold River, then south to the end of the road where you can take a day trip on the Uchuck III, a ferry that brings supplies to small outposts in the Nootka Sound area. The boat drops you off for an hour or so at Friendly Cove (I think that was the name) were Captain Cook spent some time. We enjoyed this trip. Then go back to Gold River and take the dirt road (logging road) northwest - camp at Muchalat Lake, then continue northwest on the logging road all the way to Highway 19 near Woss. Take the Highway west about 20 kilometers (a guess) and then drop down to Zeballos on another logging road - Richard

Telegraph Cove is another interesting place for a short visit. Not a place to camp unless you're fishing, but the waterfront area is worth looking at.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Telegraph Cove is another interesting place for a short visit. Not a place to camp unless you're fishing, but the waterfront area is worth looking at.
Telegraph Cove has some nice killer whale watching trips.
The campground is ok in a pinch.
The bar on the dock has some killer salmon dinners.
Frank

God stuff! we are at Pipers pub in Gold River now having a beverage and a burger on the patio over looking the town. Scenery is great !

Back
Top Bottom