Vantage, WA (area)

pods8

Contributors
My buddy is heading for a climbing trip to Red Rocks and needed to get some climbing action in ahead of time in some heat and on somewhat similar stone so the little lady and I headed out to the vantage area this weekend to help him out. I'm a bit out of my climbing routine but managed to get some routes in.

The camping area is near a major concert amphitheater so when there are shows there tends to be a lot of other folks that post up in this somewhat unofficial but tolerated camping there as well. Apparently this weekend the crowd was there for the Allman Brothers and Greatful Dead. I must say we were impressed the folks were mellow and didn't cause a ruckus at night unlike some of the times we've been there with different concerts (we've dealt with 4am drum circles and such in the past...). :thumb:

Had a minor pulse increase when rounding a curve in the camping area and it was hard to see under the nose of the truck I ran up on a large rock. It was big enough to bang on the front cross member, etc. but not high enough/jagged enough to do any major damage. It was a loose rock and after some pushing, pulling, rotating (some folks camping gave us a hand as well) we were able to drag it out the side of the truck and I didn't have to worry about getting off it and smacking more of the under carriage. With my pride taking the brunt of the hit we continued to our site and settled in. :p

It was very hot and it took its toll on our energy levels but overall it was a decent jaunt. :thumb:

These pillars are some of the stuff we were climbing:
IMG_2361Small.jpg

Our camp:
IMG_2377Small.jpg

End of the day:
IMG_2380Small.jpg

The rig reflects on the day as well:
IMG_2382Small.jpg

Looking up at some of the pillars, these were probably in the 80-90' range. Honestly between being our first outdoor session on the year, the heat, etc. we got worked:
IMG_2384Small.jpg

The area the climbing routes overlook:
IMG_2386Small.jpg

My buddy on lead up a pillar:
IMG_2389Small.jpg

Myself near the top following up the route and cleaning it (removing the clips placed on the way up by my buddy and then I rappel down):
IMG_2394Small.jpg

Gorge at George

Pods8,

Great flicks of the basalt columns and you climbing. You'd make a heck of a sheep/goat hunter!? Ever think of hiring out as a packer:D

You just keep hittin' me where I used to live:thumb:

Before it was a "major concert ampitheater" (1969) it was the party spot for Monroe Hall (moment of silence for the deceased) at CWU (CWSC at that time). Many kegs met their maker there before The 'Dead (or anyone more than 50 miles away) ever heard of it. Sleeping bags, or blankets, on the ground were de rigeur.

There's some BLM land on the old highway, west of the bridge 5 miles or so, and on the N. side. You can run for miles back to the river on dirt track. I hunt chukar and huns there sometimes (not many there anymore but it's good exercise) but not since we've had the camper. I'm going to try and spend a few days in there this fall. It can get a little dicey in spots.

Keep them posts comin'...you're bringin' back my youth:p

Happy Trails!
'birds

Cool pics, reminds me a little of Devil's Postpile...

Attachments

• 800px-Devils_postpile_NM.jpg
    800px-Devils_postpile_NM.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 352
That also brings back the memorys.
the many Concerts, free camping and the colombia river for a swim at the end of the road on a really hot day.The blm land nearby for 4x4 trails to private beaches on the river is always fun too.

Stunning photos! I have to check Red Rocks out, if just to see it.

Apparently this weekend the crowd was there for the Allman Brothers and Greatful Dead.

I was camping across the river from you that weekend! We could just barely hear the concert: http://octopup.org/2009/quilomene

-- Geoff

I was camping across the river from you that weekend! We could just barely hear the concert:

Right on, how close to those windmills were you?

Kinda surprised how many elk are in that area. Maybe I should look into getting an elk tag this fall. :p

Back
Top Bottom