vehicle pick

Bat

If you had the choice between a 06 tundra double cab 4x4 or a 09 Tacoma double cab 4x4 6ft bed both with low mileage and putting a 4WC on it which would you choose.

The Toondra for all the reasons KC mentioned, but hey, I'm just a little bit biased, so don't take my word for it.
wink.gif

The Toondra for all the reasons KC mentioned, but hey, I'm just a little bit biased, so don't take my word for it.
wink.gif

3/4 or one ton Diesel. :) next choice would be the Tundra

wink.gif

More of the same Love my Tundra/Hawk

I think the Tacoma has the same payload and the Tundra has just a little more Hp by the numbers.
The bed size is the same for a long bed Tacoma as a short bed Tundra,gas mileage is probably better in the Tacoma. So is bigger better as in the Tundra or is the Tacoma just to small to handle a 4WC.

The campers that fit on the Taco if you are going new are small, very small and too small for my taste. If you are going used you could put an old Fleet which is a bigger camper on the Taco but it really limits your options. If you are going used for the camper you have the widest array of options with a full size truck like the 1 ton diesel mentioned earlier because all of the campers pre 2000 except the eagle, ranger, ranger II, fleet and fleet II which are all a bit harder to find won't fit on anything but a full size. You'll find a lot of old Hawk's and Grandby's for sale for a reasonable price that will fit a full size.

As for the trucks, the back seat in the 4 door Taco is not much bigger than the old extra cabs and not very comfy. The four door Tundra's are pretty darn comfy in the back.

I drive a Tundra, but could go either way. It depends on where you want to go and how you travel.

The 06 Tundra is smaller than the current model but the new Tacoma's are now midsize trucks, so there isn't a huge difference in size. Yes, the Tundra has a V8, but that was the 4.7 in '06 so there isn't a big difference in power either. So, IMO, the only real difference is the size of the camper the vehicle can fit. If traveling solo, I'd go with the Tacoma/Eagle combo just to be more comfortable on narrow roads. I'm thinking about last year's DV rally when DD did some damage and Camelracer was hanging a wheel over the edge. It would be worth it to me to not have those worries. But if you travel with a partner, kid, dog, or some combo thereof, it probably is best to go with the Tundra/Hawk combo.

I drive a Tundra, but could go either way. It depends on where you want to go and how you travel.

The Tundra/Ocelot(All Terrain Campers) combination has some of the best of both worlds. You get the larger truck...more camper floor space and still lower weight and overhang. If I'm not mistaken FWC makes a larger Eagle for the older Tundra body style.

3/4 or one ton Diesel.
smile.gif
next choice would be the Tundra

My previous answer was based on the only two choices you gave.......but if you were starting from a clean slate.....I would have to say a 3/4 ton or 1 ton diesel truck.

I started out with my Hawk on a 2000 Tundra. The Hawk is now mounted on a 3/4 ton diesel truck. The difference is night and day.

I am much happier with a truck that was designed to carry the extra weight.

For the most part it would be just me and the dog unless he wants to give up his seat for my wife. So it looks like the eagle that would fit on a tacoma is 8" smaller across and the sleeping overhang is shorter compared to hawk.I sat in a 06 Tundra today and it was nice and roomy, I need to sit in the Tacoma.

My Tundra/Hawk combo have served me well so far.

yeah..more payload would be nice...but then again it just means that yer inclined to take more crap along with ya....

Diesel torque is nice. Diesel fumes are not. Getting stuck behind a diesel headin up Vail pass will give me a headache everytime. I can't imagine what it'd be like breathing in that stuff everytime I drive my truck. To each their own though!

happy hunting...and good luck

mtn

Back
Top Bottom