Victron Smart Sense

JWL

I’m finally going to replace my original AGM battery with lithium. In staying with my minimalist approach I am going to try a LiTime mini 100Ah battery. This model does not have a low temp sensor so I am looking for a work around. Does anyone have any experience with the Victron Smart Battery Sense? I have a Victron Smart MPPT that it will work with.
My other choice is to wrap a RV storage tank heater around the battery with a switch that I can turn on when temps are to be below freezing. I rarely camp in freezing temps but it is supposed to be only in the 20’s here in Texas next week so…?
Any suggestions? Ideas?
Thanks
quick edit. I realized the Smart Sense wouldn’t do any good for controlling the dc-dc charging, so I would need to probably put in a switch to turn off the Blue Sea ACR.

JWL said:
I’m finally going to replace my original AGM battery with lithium. In staying with my minimalist approach I am going to try a LiTime mini 100Ah battery. This model does not have a low temp sensor so I am looking for a work around. Does anyone have any experience with the Victron Smart Battery Sense? I have a Victron Smart MPPT that it will work with.
My other choice is to wrap a RV storage tank heater around the battery with a switch that I can turn on when temps are to be below freezing. I rarely camp in freezing temps but it is supposed to be only in the 20’s here in Texas next week so…?
Any suggestions? Ideas?
Thanks
quick edit. I realized the Smart Sense wouldn’t do any good for controlling the dc-dc charging, so I would need to probably put in a switch to turn off the Blue Sea ACR.
JWL, I've played around with ways of heating the batteries and it just has not been worth it for me as I rarely camp when it is super cold, and you can use your batteries just fine when they are super cold, you just can't charge them. On most trips, that's ok, because the camper is warm and so are the batteries.

Vic Harder said:
JWL, I've played around with ways of heating the batteries and it just has not been worth it for me as I rarely camp when it is super cold, and you can use your batteries just fine when they are super cold, you just can't charge them. On most trips, that's ok, because the camper is warm and so are the batteries.
Same with us. We have an unheated battery. I do not like to add unneeded complexity to a system. We also use little power compared to others here. The 100ah battery has a lot of reserve power for our needs.

ski3pin said:
Same with us. We have an unheated battery. I do not like to add unneeded complexity to a system. We also use little power compared to others here. The 100ah battery has a lot of reserve power for our needs.
How do you keep it from charging through the DC-DC while traveling in the cold?

JWL said:
How do you keep it from charging through the DC-DC while traveling in the cold?
The battery's built in battery monitoring system (BMS) prevents charging (solar and alternator) when cold.

In my case, I do wunder if I would in fact remember to prevent the DC-DC charger from trying to charge the battery when temps are below 0 degC (I would disconnect the input from truck battery by opening the circuit breaker). My battery manufacturer tells me that the battery internal BMS “should” prevent charging at low temperatures, BUT advised me not to rely on that alone. Not very reassuring. I am normally in the habbit of having the DC-DC charge the battery while driving. I would like to have some type of temperature alarm (i.e. flashing red light) in the truck cab to remind me not to allow charging.

Utah said:
In my case, I do wunder if I would in fact remember to prevent the DC-DC charger from trying to charge the battery when temps are below 0 degC (I would disconnect the input from truck battery by opening the circuit breaker). My battery manufacturer tells me that the battery internal BMS “should” prevent charging at low temperatures, BUT advised me not to rely on that alone. Not very reassuring. I am normally in the habbit of having the DC-DC charge the battery while driving. I would like to have some type of temperature alarm (i.e. flashing red light) in the truck cab to remind me not to allow charging.
Heated Lithium Batteries: Providing Warmth & Power in The Cold (battlebornbatteries.com)

They will self-protect... even the non-heated ones.

Back
Top Bottom