Wandering Chile....

Advmoto18

We enjoyed a 3 week family vacation to central Chile this month.

A fantastic place for walk abouts and camping; although we did not do any of the latter.

Chile is a fantastic destination for the adventurer. Perhaps the single country with the most diverse climate range, the driest desert in the world to the rainy, lush lake district and of course, Patagonia.

My son atop a 1700' hill after hiking up from the village along the coast. In-n-Out of coastal fog, much like Sandy Eggo.
2020-01-17-15-15-47-copy.jpg

My son and son-in-law hiking along the coast. This particular trail goes on for another 1000+ miles along the coast!
L1000193-L4-Resized.jpg

The daily catch is off-loaded from the ~20' open fishing boats around 8:00AM and sold out by 9AM.
2020-01-15-08-32-57-copy.jpg

Recovering a fishing boat just after dawn.
2020-01-15-08-25-55-copy.jpg

Beach front rental? Nope, a day hut for a horseman while his horses graze on the hillside.
L1000208-L4-copy.jpg

We have friends in Chile and are fortunate enough to be able to use their beach and lake houses.

Advmoto18 said:
My son and son-in-law hiking along the coast. This particular trail goes on for another 1000+ miles along the coast!
L1000193-L4-Resized.jpg
Do you know the name of that trail or any other info?

2trout

I asked my Chilean friends if there was a name for the trail. They replied, no, it's just called the "ocean trail".

Over the last 20+ years, I have day hiked many portions of it. Unfortunately, the trail is not protected and high dollar development has caused trail segments to disappear. 20 years ago, one of the more beautiful stretches to hike was from Zepallar to Paupdo. Sadly, that entire stretch of trail is now gone as multi-million USD homes are now built upon every bit of land between the road and ocean.

The areas we hiked last month were all north of Papudo. We did several segments, driving to villages, hiking north and then catching a bus back to the rental car.

For the steak/wine lovers, and anyone who likes to grill....

In 2015, Netflix debuted a series, CHEF'S TABLE. Season 1 Episode 3 was about Francis Mallmann (trailer here), a Michelin Star chef from Patagonia/Argentina. Chef Mallmann is a fly fisherman and chef who cooks with FIRE. I have probably watched this episode at least 6 times over the years; by far my favorite!

Unbeknownst to me before our trip, Vina Montes in Santa Cruz (Chile) has a Mallmann restaurant; literally in the middle of the vineyard, amongst the vines. We booked lunch for the following day as soon as I discovered this restaurant upon arriving in Santa Cruz.

L1000492-copy-2.jpg

L1000511-copy-2.jpg

Mallmann cooks all of his dishes on or with fire, appetizers, entrees and desserts.

The grill...
L1000508-copy-2.jpg

Pizza and desserts are cooked in the mud oven...
2020-01-23-13-48-25.jpg

A 1 kilo Tomahawk steak...
2020-01-23-14-29-46-HDR-copy.jpg

I purchased Mallmann's cookbook of 100 recipes for fire in the gift shop. After lunch, my wife walked around the restaurant to gaze upon the unique design and decor. She came upon a rather tall, big man with a full head of long white hair. They talked for a few minutes. She had no clue it was Mallmann until looking through my new cookbook that night!

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm planning to go to Chile next year, maybe around January. I know that I still have more time to prepare, but I believe that it's better to be early than sorry. Lol :LOL: So, I am looking for some advice and recommendations. I agree that Chile is a beautiful and diverse country with so much to explore. This article has really sparked my interest in visiting this country.
https://gowithguide.com/blog/chile-tourism-statistics-2023-the-ultimate-guide-5558 I hope that I also have three weeks of vacation. I think two weeks is not enough, though. I'll do my best to make the most of it. Thanks again for the ideas! But, if you still have more to share, it will be much appreciated! Cheers! :)

I used to live in Paraguay. I made two 2 month trips with a backpack in 1979 and 1980. Long time ago. Chile stands out in the top two countries I have traveled to out for more than 40. People were gracious and open. Food and wine spectacular. It is a huge country with three distinct biomes. If you want dry mountain desert or deep wild fiords it is there. Torres de Piné stands out as insanely beautiful. The area around Villarrica Volcano. The city was not my destination but if you want panache it is Vińa del Mar. If you want pre Inca ruins go to the very north at Chan Chan. (very rough up there) or perhaps the Atacama desert... try the train!
No matter what you do Chile is magnificent. (if you are a wine nut ... google places !)

buckland said:
I used to live in Paraguay. I made two 2 month trips with a backpack in 1979 and 1980. Long time ago. Chile stands out in the top two countries I have traveled to out for more than 40. People were gracious and open. Food and wine spectacular. It is a huge country with three distinct biomes. If you want dry mountain desert or deep wild fiords it is there. Torres de Piné stands out as insanely beautiful. The area around Villarrica Volcano. The city was not my destination but if you want panache it is Vińa del Mar. If you want pre Inca ruins go to the very north at Chan Chan. (very rough up there) or perhaps the Atacama desert... try the train!
No matter what you do Chile is magnificent. (if you are a wine nut ... google places !)

Wow, Your recommendations are very helpful, I'll definitely add Torres de Piné, Villarrica Volcano, and Chan Chan to my list. Thanks for that! Did you try any cool adventures or activities when you were in Chile?

It was a different time. Allende had been just overthrown, there was still hostilities with Argentina. It was the time of the 'disappeared'. Travel was actually quite dangerous and one needed to be very cautious. I did get into trouble but was luckily saved by good people. So there were no tourist things to do other than explore places and meet people. No internet, phones, just a map. I hopped a freighter from Puerto Mont to Punta Arenas. That was a wonderful week going through the southern waterway... very similar to the Alaskan waterway. I climbed the volcano and looked in the caldera ... it is a bit too active now to suggest that. Be sure to get out of the cities and explore.... take the train south. I am sure I would not recognize it today but it must still be beautiful.

Woah! It sounds like you were quite the daredevil back in the day, since I can't imagine hopping a freighter to travel anywhere nowadays, haha. Can't wait to make some fun memories. Thanks for sharing your experience it's very helpful :) Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom