Warning points?

rotti

So....I have been perusing the new forum/profile layout and I see warning points under my handle. Don't recall that from before? Now I've always kinda considered myself somewhat of a rebel so I was concerned I had no points. I see my reputation is only five so maybe that somewhat makes up for it?

Would anyone care to share, or perhaps claim, the record for WTW warning points?
And whom might have the best reputation number?

I think visible warning points are a "feature" of the new software...and one that, seems to me, should not be visible. :cautious:
Moderators have had the ability to "warn" and even disable members/accounts all along, but warning status was only visible to Moderators/Admins. I think everyone has 0 warning points as of now.

As for Reputation points, I think that Ted leads with 26 member-awarded points, followed by DirtyDog and ski3pin in a tie with 22.
If you look at the member list (from the "Overall Top Posters" link at the bottom of the Forum home page) it shows them as having 36 and 32 points, but remember that those who joined before July 29, 2009 started with 10 points "free" just by joining WTW, while those who joined on that day and after started with 0, so to compare members' points accurately you need to also look at their join date.
See this recent topic about Reputation Points.

MarkBC said:
Moderators have had the ability to "warn" and even disable members/accounts all along, but warning status was only visible to Moderators/Admins. I think everyone has 0 warning points as of now.
What, pray tell, might bring about the "awarding" of a warning point, Mark?

I noticed that a recent rant against a certain make of pricy RV was gone the next day. Did that bring about a warning? Or was the "delete" button just pushed?

Doug Stewart said:
What, pray tell, might bring about the "awarding" of a warning point, Mark?

I noticed that a recent rant against a certain make of pricy RV was gone the next day. Did that bring about a warning? Or was the "delete" button just pushed?
In practice our actions ("our" meaning the Site Team of moderators: ski3pin, Ted, MarkBC, Mark W. Ingalls, as well as Admin Janet) haven't used the quantitative warning system. Outright spammer profiles are disabled and usually removed. People who get severely aggressive/rude in their posts are sometimes verbally warned (via PM) and if the post is bad enough -- and the poster doesn't clean it up themselves -- it can be deleted.
Other than an almost-daily stream of pure-spammer profiles to disable, moderating action is VERY rare on WTW, because folks here are, for the most part, very civil -- much nicer than the average forum. :)

MarkBC said:
.....folks here are, for the most part, very civil -- much nicer than the average forum. :)
WTW was my first, so to speak, so going to some of the other forums can be interesting to say the least.
The battles over Chevy vs Ram vs Ford vs 1/2 vs 3/4 ton reach heights that are both hiliarious and distressing.

Thanks for the info on the points and reputation....interesting.
I think the old guys should lose their 10 free points. :p

rotti said:
WTW was my first, so to speak, so going to some of the other forums can be interesting to say the least.
The battles over Chevy vs Ram vs Ford vs 1/2 vs 3/4 ton reach heights that are both hiliarious and distressing.
Yep...worse than propane-vs-charcoal and even worse than propane-vs-DC-compressor! ;)
And then there are the tech forums where newbies asking questions are attacked for not already being experts. :rolleyes:

Thankfully no one has brought up the potty topic lately. Thats almost too much even for me!

I'm leading in the reputation points? I've never really paid attention to them so was unaware of that. I think I'll have a celebratory beer tonight! Wait a minute, could that be for a bad rep, too?

To back up what Mark said, I have only posted warnings on obvious scammers. When people sign up and fill in the "interst in WTW" section with links to a business or say things like Faux Gucchi, Faux Cartier, etc, it is pretty obvious. Even then, all our warnings do is notify Admin who then delete the spammers. We really do have a great group here. I'm on a couple of other forums though not to the extent of WTW. And I have never been a moderator before. But it is so mild here that typically weeks on end go by before I do any "moderator stuff".

The warning points are currenly mostly unused as noted. We're still messing with settings and configuration after the update - they'll be removed just as soon as we figure out how ;)

You're missing out on all the fun with such a small and decent group. Nothing like out right banning people, chasing people who keep reregistering and have mulitple monikers, and putting adults in an internet "timeout". Haha! The joys of a moderator... ;)

Doug Stewart said:
Rotti, perhaps Ted would give you some of his. :ninja:
Ah...upon further review I see most of the mods are the "old guys" and my reputation is bad enough.
I would like to humbly apologize for my previous ill advised comments.

MarkBC said:
<snip>
Other than an almost-daily stream of pure-spammer profiles to disable, moderating action is VERY rare on WTW, because folks here are, for the most part, very civil -- much nicer than the average forum. :)

Ted said:
<snip>
And I have never been a moderator before. But it is so mild here that typically weeks on end go by before I do any "moderator stuff".

Riverrunner said:
You're missing out on all the fun with such a small and decent group. Nothing like out right banning people, chasing people who keep reregistering and have mulitple monikers, and putting adults in an internet "timeout". Haha! The joys of a moderator... ;)
This forum has been the only one I've regularly checked on or posted to..................so this is my bench mark for an "average" forum. Any way I can help keep things running smoothly with this nice group of people, I'm happy to lend a hand. Riverrunner, thanks for the insight but there's many things in life I just don't need to know or bother with.
:)

ski3pin said:
This forum has been the only one I've regularly checked on or posted to..................so this is my bench mark for an "average" forum. Any way I can help keep things running smoothly with this nice group of people, I'm happy to lend a hand. Riverrunner, thanks for the insight but there's many things in life I just don't need to know or bother with.
:)
I doubt this forum will ever get big enough to have those kinds of problems. If it does feel free to PM me and I'll be more than happy to toss out some advice.
happy0009.gif
All the crazy's come out of the wood work when a site goes from a few hundred to 10,000 + members in 3 or 4 years.
happy0129.gif

This is a nice place with a good group of core members who are knowledgeable and willing to help and share. You've got it easy....
party0016.gif

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thank you for the info to my question on Tuesday about warning points.It's Thursday evening here in Barcelona.I am eating tapas for everyone.
Frank

Ok, I now feel justified in giving out a warning. Those in favor of an internet time-out for Frank for over-the-top, in your face bragging say "Aye". :p

Ted said:
Ok, I now feel justified in giving out a warning. Those in favor of an internet time-out for Frank for over-the-top, in your face bragging say "Aye". :p
Aye! And you can give another one when he mentions the tapas come with free beer!

Back
Top Bottom