Water Proof GPS?

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
I know there are several GPS units that are waterproof. I’m curious if anyone has real world experience with any of them. Ease of use and degree of water proof are my two most important concerns.

Look for IP67 or IP68 label but mostly go by mfg warranty. Searching for “ip67 vs ip68” will provide some education and caveats.

For example, being gently submerged at 1 meter for 30 minutes in still water does not necessarily mean that you could swim with it or that it would survive being dropped from waist high into 3 ft of water because the shock wave might broach the seals

Paul

PaulT said:
Look for IP67 or IP68 label but mostly go by mfg warranty. Searching for “ip67 vs ip68” will provide some education and caveats.

For example, being gently submerged at 1 meter for 30 minutes in still water does not necessarily mean that you could swim with it or that it would survive being dropped from waist high into 3 ft of water because the shock wave might broach the seals
Paul
Thank you!

I have a Garmin Montana, its a smaller outdoors unit that has been in some torrential downpours on my motorcycle.

There is a 811 page thread on ADVrider that will overwhelm you with info.

there are at least one Wiki site about it also.

I also have a Garmin inreach which is a satellite communicator and GPS, as a GPS its easier to use while connected to a smartphone or tablet, the routing isn't as easy to use either.

Both have good powered mounts available so you aren't running off the units battery while in a vehicle.

Garmin GPSMAP 64

I have this, or maybe its a 62. Anyway, it resides on the handlebars of my motorcycle, rain or shine. Never an issue with vibration or water intrusion.

Back
Top Bottom