Water pump and filters

nocruisecontrol

Hello! Forgive me if this topic is buried deep in the forum here, I have searched many threads without finding an answer.

I have a 2001 Eagle. The water tank display lights up like it is getting power, does not make any noises whatsoever. The camper sat for what I suspect is several years prior to me getting it. I’ve come to terms that I should just replace the water pump and have piece of mind, since we will be moving into the camper full time. My questions are 1) how do you gain access to the pump? From what I can see, it looks like I may need to remove the countertop. 2) What are others using for filters? I have seen some pumps with built in filters, inline, perhaps faucet filters? Looking for a particle and UV light or other purifier. Curious what others are using. 3) I am planning on calling FWC for a new pump, unless anyone has a better aftermarket solution. I also thought this would be a good time to look over all the water lines, and replace if necessary.

Thanks for the help!

Hello nocruisecontrol

Have you checked the fuse, do you have a meter and know the switch is good a providing power for the pump to run. Is your ground or negative side of the line good. Just buying a new pump is not necessarily going to guarantee a fix to the problem. If you got the m/n and look at the specs on the pump, try google it. Also get a price from FWC. Sometimes the manufacturer is helpful call tech support and ask them if they have a trouble shooting guide they can email.

Russ

I do know the fuse is good, and that power is running to the pump. Pulling it is my next step. FWC has been very helpful so far

If I remember the pump on those models were mounted in the cabinet under the sink down low. Or it just had a hand pump on the faucet. Did the original owner say it had a pump?

You can take all the screws off the face of the cabinet to remove and you will be able to see the water tank etc...

Well my mistake. Camper is fully wired for a pump, none there. I will be ordering one from FWC, and replacing the water lines. Anyone have a good inline filter you use?

Take a look at this particular site:

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/

They sell a number of different filters, as well as ultra-violet devices and water pumps. Depending on the kinds of filter you wind up using, you may want a water pump with greater pressure or flow than the one FWC sells.

In Tom Sheppard's classic book, VEHICLE DEPENDENT EXPEDITION GUIDE, he provides the following information on waterborne threats:

Big Bugs – Parasites, Protozoa: Giardia, Cryptosporidia, Schistosoma, Amoebic Dysentery, Worms. Range in size from 4 to 12 microns. Easily filtered by most micro-filters. Some are highly resistant to the usual chemicals, chlorine and iodine. Also resistant to ultra-violet purification.

Small Bugs – Bacteria: E Coli, Bacillary Dysentery, Cholera, Typhoid, Leptospirosis. Range in size from 0.5 to 3 microns. Need the finest micro-filters to remove. Easily killed by chemicals or ultra-violet.

Very Small Bugs – Viruses: Polio, Hepatitis, Rotavirus. 0.02 to 0.08 microns. Too small to filter. Easily killed by chemicals or ultra-violet.

Of course, his book was written for people who travel in third world environments. We probably don't have all those bugs here in North America. I hope! To remove chemicals like pesticides and sulfur, iron, etc. You need a filter with activated charcoal.

Hope this info is useful to you.

Optimistic Paranoid et al,

I think reminding us all of the risks of unfiltered water is helpful and for those unfamiliar with the nasties in the lists would do well to look them up and better understand why they are health risks.

I have been an outdoor enthusiast for over 50 years. I have used water from seeps, springs, streams, lakes, ponds and less desirable sources during literally thousands of miles hiking and backpacking all over North America as well as in Hawaii. (During my hiking in Costa Rica and Japan I relied on bottled water). I have also done a significant amount of off dirt track vehicle camping in Canada and the US (Including Alaska, Hawaii and Canada).

Since the late 1970's I have always treated, boiled or filtered all non-municipal source water before consumption (and since the late 1980's almost exclusively using a high quality filter device capable of removing bacteria - i.e. a 0.5 micron filter). If the water is from a sketchy source (like a murky still pond, etc) I also boil the water after filtering for at least 3 minutes.

Most of the nasties that are in your list are real risks in the US and all non-treated water should be filtered, treated or boiled in my opinion. I have known people who have contracted Giardiasis and I have read accounts of Cryptosporidia, Leptosirosis and Protozoan infection. None of these are any fun and none us wants to contract any of these. Parasites, bacteria and viruses are spread from water source to water source by wild animals, birds, fish, livestock and domestic animals so what was safe 5 years ago or even last trip may not be safe now. It is best to assume that any non-municipal water source is risky to drink without filtering and treating unless you know it to be safe (e.g. test report).

One could argue that the risk of infection is not high but I counter that the consequences of an infection can be very high and the effort to minimize the risk is not expensive or onerous so why risk it.

BTW for those who may not already know and have interest:

All those big bugs you listed are parasites (i.e. Giardia, Cryptosporidia, Protozoans, Schistosomas, worms and Amoebas are all parasites).

The small bugs in your list are bacteria for the most part: e.g. Leptospirosis is a bacteria

The very small bugs in your list are viruses

I forgot to add that we generally only use the water in the camper water tank for washing dishes and cooking (boiling water).

When using our camper all of our drinking water is from a 5 gallon jug we clean with bleach periodically and fill from known safe sources of water or from bottled water (small or large).

We do carry a water pump with bacteria filter in case we run out of water in the boonies (hasn't happened yet).

I use a Camco filter on the hose when filling the water holding tank in the camper but it only has a 100 micron filter.

I haven't used it yet, but I have a filter for use with campground water. Its just a charcoal filter. Water thief stays on so I don't lose it :)

Craig333,

That looks similar to the filter I use on the hose to fill the camper water tank. I believe that is a 100 micron filter so probably will not protect you from the list of nasties.

I think it is primarily intended filtering out dirt and minerals and making the water taste better. Although, it is probably fine for RV parks and developed campgrounds with water systems.

Wow! Quite the information to have! craig333, where did you pick that up? That looks perfect for filling water into the tank. This water system will be used in our camper as we drive the panamerican next year, so I believe I will want a .5 micron filter, with a UV light. I've been reading all night, and this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WDNX6G?pf_rd_p=8e0819a9-0ef1-44cd-9544-a7f28374af8b&pf_rd_r=1R2MACD4N3CYTA5P8S24 seems like the best, affordable filter at that level. I found the stock replacement for the handpump faucet, which would allow me to have a backup if the pump breaks. For the pump, I purchased what FWC uses in their new campers.

The filter that Craig has is about $20 at Camping World and other RV supply places. The Water thief is a good idea, also a threaded adapter that fits a hose on one end, and screws into the freeze proof farm style spigots.

nocruisecontrol said:
This water system will be used in our camper as we drive the panamerican next year, so I believe I will want a .5 micron filter, with a UV light.
That should be quite a trip next year! If you haven't already seen it, you really should pick up a copy of Chris Scott's OVERLANDER'S HANDBOOK.

https://www.amazon.com/Overlanders-Handbook-Worldwide-Planning-Trailblazer/dp/1905864876/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540460797&sr=8-1&keywords=overlanders+handbook&dpID=510e3ESrN6L&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

We have and use the filter that was shown above when in doubt of the source. Then we add some chlorine bleach to kill anything smaller.

This is the procedure we used in Africa with good results although we bought bottled water when ever possible.

My wife has a very sensitive digestive system so we have to be very diligent.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Thanks ckent323.

If anyone is interested in a pretty good review of various water purification products, this one on EXPEDITION PORTAL is fairly recent:

https://expeditionportal.com/water-treatment-systems-the-mother-of-all-reviews/
Thanks for the link. I needed a filter for hiking. Went with the https://www.ebay.com/itm/Katadyn-Micro-Water-Bottle-Microfilter/173583181415?hash=item286a5d2667:g:81kAAOSwXiZbbP9w:rk:7:pf:0

Interesting part is its no longer available on amazon or rei. Found a steal on ebay for 15 bucks. Now I'm wondering if I'll be sipping water and reading about a recall :)

Back
Top Bottom