Water tank in your FWC?

Ramblinman

Close to ordering.

I have never owned and RV

I am having difficulty deciding whether I should get the water tank in my camper. This decision may determine whether I go FWC or ATC. The capability to store and heat water is not always required in my world. I am thinking that if I get the capability to store and run water I may as well get the heater and shower. All of this takes up space.

While at FWC in Sac I noticed that the water tank does take a lot of room and use valuable storage space. Most places I camp I expect to have some type of water source (well/stream etc). This said I realize that the ability to run water in the camper would also be a luxury.

At the end of the day I am asking does the capability to store and heat water outweigh the potential for problems with those systems and the loss of storage. (That water tank seems overly large).

Thanks

We could probably easily leave the water tank out if you like in a new FWC ?

We could just leave that as empty storage space with a hinged cover for access under the settee seat cushion.

:)

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with in your new camper ideas & designs?

More than happy to help in any way I can.

Thanks !

I guess it depends on your use and wants. In the 4 corners area I really like having my water tank full, lots of places there is none available. It is one more system, needs to be sanitized once in a while :eek: And if you have a electric pimp that is one more point of failure but it is also very nice to have. I started with the little manual hand pump, added a little 12v pump to that, and now replaced it all with a 3+ gpm pump and electric faucet which is really nice, but not necessary. Not having the integral tank means jugs, containers, more frequent fills, less convenience.

At the end of the day I am asking does the capability to store and heat water outweigh the potential for problems with those systems and the loss of storage. (That water tank seems overly large).

I can't think of something more essential and universally needed than water on a camping trip. Not having a way to store water would mean you would always have to camp near a water source. Water from streams and lakes would need to be purified in some way.

I guess it all depends on your planned usage. If you only camp in campgrounds with water then I guess you'd be ok. Personally I never camp in campgrounds.

The water system in my Hawk has performed flawlessly. I have the 20 gallon tank with hot water heater and shower.

I could not survive in my camper without the water. I only have the basic tank with an electric pump/faucet, no hot water.

It is one of the nicest things about having a camper. Hands down.

My view:
Some time ago my electric pump (FWC Hawk) stopped working -- it still made the pumping noise, but no water came out of the faucet. I assumed that I'd broken the pump somehow by letting water freeze in it (which is highly-likely, whether or not this was the actual problem). Because I'm a lazy slacker I never got around to figuring out what's really wrong. And it hasn't been a big deal at all to me.

I've basically gone back to the same system that I used when tenting/canopy-camping -- a water carboy (or carboys). Having to more-often fill up the water carboys (compared to a 20-gal tank) is somewhat inconvenient, but it's never been a problem. I don't have a shower or other system that uses large volumes of water and I have yet to do multi-week journeys across deserts. I never have to worry about water freezing in the lines when I camp in sub-freezing temperatures, which I do every year...sometimes even in the "summer". If I spent most of my time in southern latitudes or lower elevations this might not be a consideration.
On the other hand...I haven't yet taken the step of removing the water tank to free up that big chunk of storage space -- haven't yet decided that I will never want the built-in water system...but I'm considering it.

But I can know that what each person considers inconvenient or important can be different. Some people do most of their cooking on portable stoves outside their campers, but for me, cooking inside out of the weather -- or at least out of the wind -- is the top reason I got a camper. Why bother with an extra set-up and tear-down step -- the outside stove -- at every camp as well as carrying a separate stove and propane? The answer by some: "It's no bother". And for me, putting a 5-gal carboy up on my counter next to the sink when I'm camped and putting it down on the floor when I travel: "It's no bother". So, maybe some people switched from tenting to campering so that they didn't have to carry a water container, but not me.
YMMV. :)

Update-
I just realized one difference between my situation and that of some water-tank-lovers: I travel by myself, so my water needs are those of just one person, not 2 or 3 humans and not humans-plus-dogs. Five gallons lasts several days for me, longer in cold weather. So the total amount of water needed for all occupants would affect your decision.

Ramblin' I'll second others here and say we love our sink & faucet. Not only the ability to cook inside, you know with lights, countertop, out of the weather, etc., but with indoor plumbing! We have an electric pump, 20 gal. tank, and no hot water or shower (easy to heat water on the stove) in our 08 Hawk.

Having a tank of water I can fill from a hose means I never have to lift heavy water in/out of the camper and I consider it a safety measure to have ample water on board. I've read comments where some people say they get a funny taste from their tank. We find our water to be just fine. My practice is to leave the remnant water from my last trip sloshing around in there between trips as my FWC has been living on the back of my truck :D . Then when we are ready to travel I drain the old water from the tank and refill using a food grade hose like they sell at RV stores. No funky flavors in our tank! But eventually I may do a dilute bleach treatment seasonally.

To keep it simple in my Grandby shell build, I am installing a 9 gallon tank and a foot pump to the sink. There are several manufacturers of tanks in different sizes and configurations. Mine hugs the rear wall of the camper well and is reasonable in size as to not take up as much space. Of course, I have a bit more space with the Grandby. 9 gallons is more than enough for my needs typically. The foot pump and faucet are low tech and work great. No worry of failure of need for power. My $0.02

foot pump:

http://www.whale.ltd.uk/marine/product_list/1/13/

telescoping faucet:

http://www.whale.ltd.uk/marine/product_list/3/29/

tank:

http://www.valterra.com/rv/rv-main.htm

I could not survive in my camper without the water. I only have the basic tank with an electric pump/faucet, no hot water.

It is one of the nicest things about having a camper. Hands down.

x2. The water tank is a must for me. If I didn't have the water tank, I'd just be taking up space with other water containers. If you are sure you will always have water available, well then...OK. But that would never work for me.

[ Because I'm a lazy slacker I never got around to figuring out what's really wrong. And it hasn't been a big deal at all to me. :LOL:
I never have to worry about water freezing in the lines when I camp in sub-freezing temperatures, which I do every year...sometimes even in the "summer".

I've had the sink drain freeze but never had a problem with the water tank or lines. I keep the camper warm enough with the Wave 3 and removed the crappy old sliding doors that covered that area so not an issue for me. Woke up to 9 degrees one AM.

Before I owned my FWC, which is not that long, I backpacked ( water source: stream/river/Lake= hand pump filter) hand pumping long and tedious for small amount of H2O. Car camping= refilling 5 gallon jug every couple days for cooking and washing. I tend to agree with others that now the advantage of having a fresh water tank in the camper is a must.

Aside from showers I find I use the outside spigot all the time. Washing hands, rinsing whatever. Very handy. Filling the dogs water dish. Not much for cooking and washing dishes (inside, normally clean up dirty dishes outside). I could probably do without if I didnt want showers but there is that safety factor of having extra water along.

One time I was traveling with a guy in a motor home. He blew a radiator hose. We refilled the radiator with the water from the fresh water tank. Would have been difficult at best finding water in that area.

If you don't have water in a tank, you will have it somewhere, maybe in jugs or containers that fly around. In a tank with the electric pump, water is very convenient and there is lots of it if you fill it all the way. I wash the dishes (I do not use paper plates), I wash myself after heating some water and taking a spit bath around the sink. I wash hands and feet outside the rear of the FWC using the drain. Very convenient. Also if your pump fails you still can get at your water. And you have plenty of water to use for your radiator if something goes wrong.

Regarding space: Yes there is never enough. You have to think lean.

Secondly I did not buy a FWC to use as a shell. I had a typical shell before. Total pain. Totally uncomfortable except for sleeping. Everything is in a box under a platform I built.

Now I have a Hawk with a refrigerator, sink, stove, lights, couch and water. A basic unit that is comfortable, useful, and a wonderful place to get way from bugs. Is it an RV in the full-blown sense (with ac and a shower? No. But try going here (see pic) with an RV (even my old Winnebago 22 footer).

Don't forget if you have a double/crew cab that some of you stuff can be stored there.

Keith Barnes
La Mesa CA

Attachments

• death valley.jpg
    death valley.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 173
  • tundra shell.jpg
    tundra shell.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 166
I wash hands and feet outside the rear of the FWC using the drain. Very convenient.

"Aside from showers I find I use the outside spigot all the time. Washing hands, rinsing whatever. Very handy. Filling the dogs water dish."

-------------------

I agree. We use the rear drain as our outside spigot all the time. I even have a bit of tubing I store in the propane compartment that extends the spigot for filling the Zodi, washing my sandals after I stepped in a cow pie :eek: , etc.

My only worry is that nylon spigot looks el cheapo and I'm concerned it could fail someday (usually the wrong day!). Anyone upgrade their drain cock (aka spigot) into something a little nicer?

"Aside from showers I find I use the outside spigot all the time. Washing hands, rinsing whatever. Very handy. Filling the dogs water dish."

-------------------

I agree. We use the rear drain as our outside spigot all the time. I even have a bit of tubing I store in the propane compartment that extends the spigot for filling the Zodi, washing my sandals after I stepped in a cow pie :eek: , etc.

My only worry is that nylon spigot looks el cheapo and I'm concerned it could fail someday (usually the wrong day!). Anyone upgrade their drain cock (aka spigot) into something a little nicer?

I haven't but have considered that possibility as well. There are metal spigots available. I was selling a boat one Saturday and took it out with the potential buyer. The boat began to fill with water. Headed back to shore and discovered the plastic fitting that went through the transom cracked. It told him the boat was not cracked. But until I found the problem he was not convinced.

To me the question is do you really want a FWC or ATC? The only reason to get these compact designs is that you plan to drive places where a low center of gravity is important and usually also four wheel drive. Otherwise get a van or something more comfortable. If you are going to remote spots you had better take lots of water. You cannot count on it being there in a form you would want to drink. You can take water in 5 gallon jugs but that uses space too.
We have an Eagle (close to the smallest FWC) and had a standard cab truck. We never ran out of space on several 5 week trips - though I did think very carefully about what to bring and where to put it. My only complaint with our 20 gallon water tank is that it does not hold 25 gallons.

My only complaint with our 20 gallon water tank is that it does not hold 25 gallons.

X2!

Even if I don't plan on needing any hot water I fill the hot water tank too just to get the additional 4 gallons of water in the camper. I do 5-6 week trips and water is always a concern.

I had the same fears and upgraded to something like this:

Two-Piece-Gas-Ball-Valve-1WMC1_AS01.JPG

It took some creative plumbing with some nipples and an elbow but I love it. And when it's off, it's off.

My old plastic one would dribble if you didn't close it just so. I once woke up on a remote beach in Baja with an empty water tank...no bueno. Fortunately I pack all of my drinking water so it wasn't the end of the world.

I am jealous of you 20 Gal water tank folks, my 12 Gal tank in my "old" 2003 is enough but I always wish I had more so I didn't have to conserve as much as I do.

Back
Top Bottom