Watson Lake Yukon to Lillooet. B.C.

robbie

Hello,
We arrived in Lillooet B.C. last night and are visiting friends today. We left Watson lake on Friday night, and stayed at Boya Lake for the night. Saturday we went to stewart B.C. so Sue could visit a freind from Nova Scotia who is in Stewart on a short term nursing assignment. Sunday we went to smithers for a short visit then headed south on Highway 16 to south of burns lake where we found a forest service campsite on a small lake. we were the only ones there. Then on to Prince George to get groceries and gas up, then we headed west on logging roads. Out plan was to take logging roads all the way to Lillooet. We stayed at another forest service site on Monday night at another small lake again the only ones there. Next morning we had mapped out a route that would take us as far west on the logging roads as possible then south to williams lake. we got about 30 miles out and the road narrowed and we ran into trees across the road. We moved a few, but the situation did not seem to be improving so we thought what if we get almost through and we get into trees we can not move. So back we went to take another route. all went well. No traffic and some real washboard roads but the fleet camper is still on our truck. I had a look at the tag and date of manufacture is 10 -05-81.
We came out west of williams lake and were going to keep on the back roads going through the Gang Ranch to Lillooet but with another 6-8 hrs to go we thought on this trip we would go east to the highway and maybe do the Gang ranch trip on our way back. well worth the scenery and wandering all alone with the wife and dog.
Next stop will be whistler then on to Tofino on vancouver island..
robbie

R, D, & S,

I just read your post and had to retrace my tracks along that route last summer. You were right, there are some beautiful lake campsites to be had in that area.

I saw a lot of black bears on that drive, too. Wish I were back up there; it's been in the 100's here.

Yall don't have too much fun.

-Buzz

Robbie/Buzz - I'm only about 80 mi south of the BC border here in Montana and I would be very interested in a good source for maps. I've used the Delorme atlas for MT and found some very nice spots. Robbie, your trip sounds like something I would love. Any info on maps etc. would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Barney

Robbie's the expert, by far, on where to go and how to get there.

As far as my trip planning goes, for Alaska I bought the Milepost and did a lot of internet searching for this last trip and the one eight years ago. The Milepost also has a lot of routes detailed for Western Canada.

I also used DeLorme Street Atlas, which actually has a lot of back roads for the lower 48. I used regular highway travel maps and supplements that I found in tour guides.

I had not planned on spending a lot of time traveling in Canada until I met Robbie. He clued me into some nice destinations.

Mostly, I spent a lot of upfront time planning destinations, routes, points of interest, duration of visits; and, then I just made things up as I went. I didn't have to please anyone but myself on this trip.

Check out gorp.com.

I say, "Pick Robbie's brain."

Have fun,
Buzz

Map Books

There are a series of map books put out by Mussio Ventures in Vancouver B.C.
They have real good detail of backroads.

We use another book not sure of the publisher as I did not order the Mussio one in time. It is called backroads of B.C. Notg as detailed as the Mussio books but still fine. The backroad book seems to be available at many gas station convenience stores. the Mussio books seem to be mainly at book stores...
The best place to camp and free too are the B.C. forest service sites. They are not fancy and some times depending on the loacation only have 1-3 tables. But are all a bit off the beaten path and usually at lakes that have fish. The map symbol. is a small green tree with a FS inside the green tree. We have noticed on this trip too that many of the provincial parks do not have camping. If there is a light purple tree in the park area there is no camping. camping is designated in the parks by a green tree...
We like the forest service site.
We may try the back road from Whistler to Lillooet then up to the Gang Ranch and Riske Creek on the way back from tofino.
We have spent quite a bit of time/occasions answering questions about our camper. We saw a new FWC on the Sea to sky highway just coming out of Squamish. The old fleet is really great and the queen size bed I added is really working out well.
Well better be off to pick up Sue from her kayaking trip this afternoon...
robbie

Robbie- Thanks for the info. It sounds like just what I wanted. I just ordered the Kootenay book for now but once I'm fully retired, rather than 1/2, I want to get a bit further north. Thanks again, Barney

We arrived home tonight. The 1981 Fleet worked like a charm the entire trip. We seem to have the hold down figured out as we did not have to tighten the turnbuckles once during the entire trip. We put on 3500 miles at 21 miles to the Canadian Gallon. Probable would have gotten better milage but I pushed the Tacoma pretty hard.
Will post some pictures later.
robbie

Back
Top Bottom