Watson Lake, Yukon

robbie

Those of you who have been through Watson Lake, Yukon must have an opinion.

1) What did you think of Watson Lake?

2) What is needed to upgrade Watson Lake for a tourist?

3) What do you think of the entry to Watson Lake from the east and west?

Any other comments appreciated.

Thanks

Robbie

Hi Robbie We met back 2011 we camped behind the gas station in a Grandby.Saw you again in Whitehouse on our way back from Inuvick.Would be nice to have a campground out by the lake..take care..Bisley Bud

Robbie,

I came in from the north, Campbell Hwy., getting a residential feel of Watson Lake. A lot different than the East/West approach. The first stop was the Sign Post Forest. Wish I had something available, from home, that could have been posted.

The Sign Post draws a lot of tourists, so it must be the main attraction. The information that is available at the Visitors Center is very informative and the employees were courteous and helpful. I wish I had known more about the area while I was there. I did stay at Watson Lake Prov CG. I either had the info or found it at the Visitor Center. The other campgrounds available are Big Creek, Simpson Lake and Frances Lake. It would be beneficial to have tourists stay at Simpson and Frances Lakes campgrounds; that way they would have to return through Watson Lake. I did not know of Lairs Canyon at the time I was there. If I had known, that would have been a side trip.

The way that the Alaska Hwy passes thru Watson Lake makes a good traffic pattern. It’s difficult to stay overnight because there is little there to draw any real interest. Most of the tourists who go to Alaska are from Europe/Asia and are arriving/departing thru Edmonton or Calgary. The other 20% are from the lower 48 states, referred to as “flatlanders” by Alaskans. Maybe there should be some information about the Canol Road as a roundabout way to Whitehorse for the diehard campers (WTW types) and the Nahanni Range Road. I am glad that wandering the northwest (BC, AB, YT, NWT and AK) areas were part of my adventures and would be willing to do it again.

wi_hawk

Tom

Thanks for the comments. WI hawk I got the e mail thanks.

Robbie

The local tourist boot has not been advertising the robert Campbell highway because of the construction for the last few yrs..

Well, Watson Lake is an intersection of highways with gas, food and lodging. Neat historical airport with an interesting story and history. The Boreal Centre (I think there is that name - domed building near & across from the Sign Post Forest) is very neat. Some really nice folks in town - was stuck there for a couple days about 6 weeks ago (at -32*C).

The commercial camp site in town is OK. Nice showers etc. The Territorial campsite about 5 miles north of town (turn off the Alaska Highway and follow the dirt road access for a couple of km) is really nice. It is on Watson Lake (the lake) opposite the airport. Decent sized lake. I have not fished it, but I want to. From memory, two sections in the campground with around 70 or so sites.

It is not a tourist destination in my mind. it is a place to top up gas/food/conversation/- on the way through to Whitehorse, Simpson Lake, Nehanni Range etc. Some nice campgrounds on the Campbell Highway and a great loop drive around to Carmacks and then north to Dawson and over to Eagle, AK or south to Whitehorse. Or turn off to Ross River and head take the ferry across the river and explore the North Canol Road. Do it slow :) You can make into or almost to the NWT if you have the vehicle. That road is not maintained. Last time on it was 5 years ago and the pot holes seemed to be breeding. The road to Nehanni is also pretty kool.

Don't forget to stop at Liard Hot Springs an hour or so drive south of Watson. Look for the fish around the boardwalk. Seems bizarre to me - small fish surviving in very warm water while it gets very cold in winter. Nice government camp site there too. Walk to the springs from your site - and then sleep like a baby afterwards.

I am not trying to knock Watson. I just think of it as a stop on the way somewhere.

My 2c
Greg

Back
Top Bottom