Wedge Campers

I personally don't get the appeal but you're right, they do have a following. Seems to appeal more to those that have an interest in RTT's.

Hallmarks are still a traditional pop up style. These "westy-wedges" are different.

I think the appeal is for those who have or had an RTT or flippac and want an improved camper but do not want the weight of a slide in pop-up.

I'm tracking the development of wedge campers. I don't want 1300 lbs of camper in my bed, but at the other end of the spectrum, a rooftop tent is to inconvenient. A wedge gives me a light weight, easy to deploy shelter with standing room. At least in theory.

My last camper was somewhat similar to this - it was a landcruiser uzj100 with a custom aluminium westy style pop-top. It would have been great for one person, but was a bit limited for two people (why we switched to the Fleet flatbed). The big limitation with this style camper is that you are either using the space for sleeping, or you are using the space for cooking/dressing etc. For full on summer camping this is not such a big deal - if one person wants to make coffee while the other is still in bed, you do it outside. However we bought a camper for the shoulder season and winter, and that is when these are limited for two - you have to do everything at the same time, including midnight bathroom breaks. There is also really no where comfortable to sit/hangout on those long, cold, and dark, winter evenings.

For a single person, this style camper is workable, but for two people it is not the best option.

Back
Top Bottom