weight of hawk?

How much does a hawk for a shortbed weigh with a person's "stuff" in it. For instance the 1998 hawk for sell on the usedfourwheelcamper site with normal things you put in your camper for a trip.
ALSO.......remember we are looking for a used hawk, hoping to find one a bit closer than california. thanks for the great information a person receives from this forum! Marla

maybe not a direct comparison,
but my Hawk Shell, with custom cabinets, usual camping gear and about 5 gal of water comes in around 680 WITHOUT the reico/titan jacks. Add about 120 for those.....

This was the last time I put it on the scale.

A loaded hawk will weight more, of course.

dm

thanks dm and mark, I did read that post. my husband is worried about what the total weight will be after all the "stuff" is added. We are trying to decide if we should keep the truck we have or start looking for something else. If we do get another truck it will probably be a long bed. Right now our truck is a 01 (or 00) 1500 dodge quad cab, small v8, regular bed. We don't have any special shock or air bags on, just a regular truck.

TravisandMarla

I have a hawk shell and it sits on my 96 dodge 1500 4x4 shortbed extended cab. If I don't overpack at am just at the weight limit. There is about a 2 inch sag at the back wheels. It drives pretty good considering. Even off road. Taking the camper jacks off does help a bit (125 #). I probably need new shocks so was thinking about getting some airbags or supersprings. not sure which yet. Do I need them? Probably could get away with it. But, nice to have a little extra support if off the beaten track. Drives OK on pavement.

If I had my way, a 2500 diesel. But, that costs a lot of pennies.

Good luck.

Dave

here is a weight sheet for your review (see below)

the base model hawk will probably weigh in at 700 lbs.

then just add the weight of each option the particular camper has to get an approx. over-all weight

a full water tank on the old campers would add approx. 96 lbs.

a full propane tank would add approx. 20 lbs.

most Hawk Models well equipped are probably 1000 lbs. (+ or -).

The last 3 trucks I have had, have been Ford F-150's.
2 long bed versions, and 1 short bed.

I have customers in here each week with spreadsheets, truck rating guides, calculators, etc.

Just my opnion here -- not a sales pitch :) -- but the 1/2 ton trucks will do just fine with a four wheel pop-up camper on them.

You will probably want to do a small rear suspension upgrade (helper springs or air bags) -- that will make a big difference.

www.ride-rite.com

www.supersprings.com

www.hellwigproducts.com

You will know the camper is on the truck for sure -- you can feel the weight, but it is a very safe and comfortable weight.

If having one more option on the camper (ex: 50 more lbs.) puts you over the limit where you will say ... that camper is just too heavy for my truck so I'm not going to buy it, then you might want to upgrade to a 3/4 ton truck anyway.

I am on the conservitive side for sure -- I don't want to over load my truck to the point where it is not safe or enjoyable to drive. But the small, light weight, popup campers are just fine to use.

Hope this helps ... just my 2 cents worth :)

===================================================

Options and Weight in Pounds (lbs.)

Extended Cab-Over Bed = 25 lbs.
Mechanical Camper Jacks (set of 4) = 110 lbs (removable)
Refrigerator 3-Way (1.9 cu.ft.) = 40 lbs.
Refrigerator/Freezer 3-Way (3.0 cu.ft.) = 65 lbs.
Furnace = 25 lbs.
Hot Water / Outside Shower Package = 50 lbs.
8’ Side Awning = 40 lbs.
Solar Panel = 15 lbs.
Porta-Pottie = 8 lbs.
Accessory Cabinet = 5 lbs.
Auxiliary Battery System = 40 lbs.

Don't forget occupants, including the driver, and anything else you put in the cab of your truck when figuring out your total weight capacity. Most applications I would say a 1/2 ton truck is sufficient.

Thanks everybody, looks like we will keep our truck. NOW, if we could just find a fourwheel camper we'd be set! IF ANYONE DOES SEE ONE FOR SALE......ANYWHERE, please,please,please...let us know! I search all the sites I know of DAILY!!! I know there's one for sale in Reno (a shell) but I'm not too sure about the extra wide door. There are a few more on the used camper site but California and Oregon....so far away! When we find one and drive to pick it up, how do we get it installed on our truck properly?

Thanks everybody, looks like we will keep our truck. NOW, if we could just find a fourwheel camper we'd be set! IF ANYONE DOES SEE ONE FOR SALE......ANYWHERE, please,please,please...let us know! I search all the sites I know of DAILY!!! I know there's one for sale in Reno (a shell) but I'm not too sure about the extra wide door.

What's not to be sure? You don't have to use all the width all the time, but it would be nice to have occasionally.

There are a few more on the used camper site but California and Oregon....so far away! When we find one and drive to pick it up, how do we get it installed on our truck properly?

I took a 1/2" cordless drill, a small drill index, and some hand tools along. Anything you take with you that you don't want to carry back, just pack and ship home.

Have faith. Practically speaking, that means to get a vision and then wait for the vision to come to fruition.

M.

Back
Top Bottom