What are the Measurements of the Roof Vent Locations on Your Camper?

ckent323

Recently I created a speadsheet comparing the sizes of various Renogy rigid solar panels and the power and weight of single panels vs multiple panels. The results clearly show that using the largest single panel that will fit is seriously worth considering in order to minimize weight, and cost.

I subsequently included the dimensions of several 360/370 W residential panels from LG, Panasonic, Rec solar and Sun Power along with a table showing the roof sizes of the various slide in FWC campers.

Ref this thread:

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/21006-input-on-possible-solar-setup-for-fwc-raven/page-2

Since the maximum physical size of solar panel (and thus limiting the power which is related to the overall size of the panel) that can be mounted to the camper roof depends on the vent locations, I am seeking that information to update my spreadsheet which I will make available once updated.

Of interest are the measurements of locations and separation of vents on the various FWC camper models.

Specifically, I am seeking the distance from the front edge of the camper to the front vent body, the distance between vents edge to edge (not center to center), if more than one vent, and the distance from the back edge of the camper to the rear most vent body.

Since I do not know how the vent locations vary with model or year of manufacture or with interior layout (i.e. rollover couch, front dinette, rear dinette) so I would like to know that information as well if anyone responds to this request.

I presently have measurements for a 2019 Raven with rollover couch and two roof vents, a Hawk of unknown year and unknown interior layout with two roof vents and a 2007 Keystone with rollover couch and two roof vents.

Here is a list of the desired information
  • Year
  • Model
  • Interior layout
  • # of vents
  • Dist front edge of camper to front vent
  • Space between vents
  • Dist back edge of camper to back vent
I am hoping I get a few responses that cover various configurations and years for each model. I think it will be useful for folks trying to determine what size solar panels to use.

Regards,

Craig

Craig,

FWC Zamp 160w panel between vents and in process of installing Zamp 170w panel to the rear of the rear vent.

2016 Hawk; side dinette, two Fantastic fan vents:

Front edge camper to front edge of front fan is 26 "
Distance between vents is 37 "
Distance back edge rear fan to back edge camper is 32"

If image does not come through..PM me and give me an email address for photos...

Phil

Craig,

I have a 2016 Grandby Front Dinette, Self Contained with one Fantastic Fan and a Zamp 160W Solar Panel.

The distance from the back edge of the camper to the fan is 31 inches, and the distance from the front edge of the camper to the fan is 8 feet.

I usually have a canoe or kayak on top that blocks the solar panel as it is mounted across the camper. I have thought about moving it so that it is parallel the boat. I use a Renogy 100 W Suitcase Solar if I need more. I also carry a Honda 2200 genny for emergencies and for charging my ebike. The generator rides in my trailer or on the front of my truck.

Eagle
Side dinette
one vent Maxair
72" from front
24.5" to back
vent is offset width wise
18" from drivers side edge
33.75" to passenger side

Thanks for doing this!

Wallowa, camper rick, Eedgewood,

I have included the info you provided in my spreadsheet. I will wait for a few more responses before posting my updated spreadsheet.

One thing I am seeing is that the distance from the back edge of the camper to the back vent does not vary much. On 4 campers it is 31" - 32" on one camper it is 39" (Hawk with side dinette) and on one camper it is 24.5" (Eagle with side dinette). It seems there is a larger variation in the distance of the front edge of the camper to the front vent but I don't have enough data on various years and models to say more than that.

Hoping for data from several more campers.

I’m interested in those measurements for the grandby front dinette I have ordered. If I go to the dealer to measure I’ll post the measurements.

I wonder if the very large panels, such as might fit between the vents, can handle the loads of off road driving when only supported around their edges Are they really designed for such load?

Jon R,

Vic Harder uses a large panel on his camper. Here are is his reply to a question which is similar to yours

ckent323, on 17 Dec 2020 - 12:14 PM, said:
ckent323 said:
Thanks Vic.

The only concern that could think of for the large residential panels is possible higher susceptibility to damage from vibration on a camper that experiences a lot of rough roads due to the larger span between the supporting frame around the panel.

However, I can conceive of adding some damping material to the mounting (somehow) to damp out some of the vibration of off road driving. I don't actually know if this is a legitimate concern or not. I have never read of a solar panel fracturing as a result of a vehicle driving on rough roads.
Vic wrote:

The household panels I have used are rated to withstand crazy sized hail and snow loads. I can personally vouch that driving 100 miles of terrible washboard at speeds high enough to create a dumped out fridge and multiple screws vibrating out of the framing did not damage the solar panel.

Well I didn't get as many responses as I hoped for but here is the spreadsheet with info on various solar panels and roof vent clearance info for a few FWC camper models

I hope this is useful

Craig

Attachments

• Renogy Solar Panel Comparison.xlsx
    14.6 KB · Views: 202
Hi Craig,

I just went to Mule Outfitters and measured the roof vent and Yakima track locations for a 2020 Grandby Slide-in with the front dinette option.

All vent location measurements are to the edge of the mounting flange of the vent assembly, which extends beyond the dark plastic vent cover itself by about an inch on all sides. So if you just needed a half inch to one inch extra to squeeze panels between the vents you would be able to use that extra room. The rear vent needs room to hinge up on the forward side, though, so you'd have to make sure you left the inch of space there.

Front of roof to front flange edge of forward roof vent: 26 inches
Rear flange edge of forward vent to front flange edge of rear vent: 53 inches
Rear flange edge of rear vent to rear of roof: 30 inches (this seems consistent with camper rich's 31" measurement, which I believe was to the vent itself, not the flange)
Left edge of roof to left edge of flange on roof vents: 24 inches
Right edge of roof to right edge of flange on roof vents: 40 inches

Yakima track installed dimensions
tracks are 58 inches apart center to center
ends of usable portion of tracks at front and rear are about 11.5 inches from front and rear edges of the roof

Hopefully all of this is clear. I also measured the inside dimensions of the battery cabinet, which should be the same for a Hawk front dinette because the cabinets are the same (only the dinette grows with the length increase). I'll post them separately.

Jon

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom