What Changes Are Coming to WTW?

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
Many of us have a shared interest in this website and have contributed in many ways - sharing technical advice or expertise, comments on products, photos and opinions on places to visit. The vast majority of this has been done in a generous, kind, and respectful way. That has made this website a refreshing place to hang out and a place that feels like home.

I took the news of the ownership change back at new years with some apprehension.

Thus far we have not seen that much change. The forum is active and a volunteer team of moderators is learning the chores, working at being helpful and unobtrusive.

I have noticed these items have ended - contributor points for photos/comments are no longer given, there hasn’t been any updating of geographic areas or national parks, and the monthly giveaways are gone.

There is a wealth of information in the geographic areas/National Parks sections of this website. I have used it for trip planning and pointed friends to it for a source of information.

My apprehension still lingers. What changes are in store for Wander the West and how can the members here play a positive role as the website evolves and improves?

As members, what changes would you like to see? What would you like to see remain?

I’m asking because I am just curious.

(this post is my personal inquiry, not as a Site Team member)

One thing I'd like to see is a new category called... "Member Introductions".

When I joined last year, I had a difficult time trying to figure out "IF" and/or "WHERE" I should introduce myself to the other forum members. Because I didn't see anyone else doing it, I didn't do it either.

I think a category dedicated to this idea and placed in a prominate and obvious place on the forum would promote a very friendly environment.

If these have in fact been done by previous members, maybe they can be gathered together (a time consuming task for an Admin) or everyone can just do a new introduction into this new category.

Things that could be included are...

1) Their home location, consisting of City, State and Country (however, NOT a specific address or phone number, you may send that to anyone via a private message, if you so desire, it's not really a good idea to publish that stuff publically on a forum).

2) Any wandering the west experience or history.

3) Any special wander the west interests or expertise.

A member can fill in any of the above info or anything else they feel comfortable giving.

Just a thought...

Also, it would helpful to encourage new (and old) members to fill out their profile, generic location and signature. Perhaps add a section in the profile page to list your truck, camper, mods, etc.

~DR

IMO this is a public site and any info we give can be viewed. Sure some of the more personal info can only be viewed by members,but there isn't anything to prevent being a member for the purpose of getting personal info. All that said I feel that if you want more info than a member is giving than you can PM them and if they want to give it out than you will get it.

I really like this site and have learned a lot and have contributed some to it. We are members because we want to be and share our ideas,give tips and general friendship. I have actually only met two members face to face,but through the site I have gotten to know many more and enjoy sharing with them. Not sure I really need to know more info about them than is given.

This is NOT a negative thought,but I don't need to have a social net work to enjoy my camper. This site has benefitted my camping experience and my knowledge of camping areas I know that if I post a question about something I can get good reliable info from its members.

To answer Skis posed question "what do we want to see in changes" I don't have any real changes in mind as of now. I like the site as it stands and hope it will continue as it has in the past.But all things have to change even a little.

Hope this makes some sense. Frank

I think a pinned and closed thread in either the site updates forum and/or this forum which explains how to use the various features of this site would be helpfull. However, it would be quite a job to put together such a document/thread, and I think most of us have figured most of it out.

Edit:

I think all of the information has already been posted. It would just require someone to collate it in to one thread.

Thanks all for your comments thus far. I have edited/updated my original post above to include:
(this post is my personal inquiry, not as a Site Team member)
I just wanted to make sure I was clear. I keep forgetting about that "Site Team" tag off to the left. Kind of like how I miss that toilet paper stuck to the bottom of my shoe all the time. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom