When did Alaskans change away from wood interiors?

jhg

When did Alaskans go away from real wood veneers on the inside?

I have two eight foot CO's in my sights. One is mid '70s that I have seen for myself. The other is a mid '80s I have not been able to check out yet.

Besides the obvious differences in mechanicals, what are the differences between these eras regarding construction and interior materials?

Thanks

Joshua

Ours 94 Co has a arborite type interior in a wood grain design, not as nice as the older ones but it sure cleans up easily. The top half of ours is insulated with foam the older ones had a Fiberglas insulation. The upside to this is no leaks.

I am in the middle of replacing all the aluminum and the back wall on ours. The gentleman that I bought it from hauled a 14' boat with a heavy electric boat loader on the roof plus 2 kayaks, he did reinforce the back wall with some aluminum plate but not until after it had destroyed the wall above the door. This is a weak spot because of the ram design and how it lifts. Well, its a weak spot if you put all that weight on the roof. And to be fair it has had a lot of miles, Alaska 2 times and to Baja almost every winter.

The only rot I found was around the windows from condensation. I have rebuild pictures that I will try to post as soon as the new aluminum is installed.

The electric hydrolics are also fairly new, the older ones had a hand pump and ours has an oven that the older ones did not have.

I have two friends with the older ones (a 68 + a 74)and they like me would not have anything else. We have taken them into some high mountain lakes and been very comfortable even in a snow storm.

When did Alaskans go away from real wood veneers on the inside?

I have two eight foot CO's in my sights. One is mid '70s that I have seen for myself. The other is a mid '80s I have not been able to check out yet.

Besides the obvious differences in mechanicals, what are the differences between these eras regarding construction and interior materials?

Thanks

Joshua

I believe the components issue is more complex than a simple year of manufacture issue. There was apparently more than one manufacturer of Alaskan Campers. In 1963 there were 5 manufacturers in the US and by 1965 there were two additional ones in Canada. My '64 (according to the plate on the door), was built or sold by by Campers Inc. in Seattle.

The woodwork is ok but the paneling is a photo finish wood pattern on thin masonite like material. I'd pull it off and replace it with door panel plywood but it would not be worth the expense. Besides, there is something to be said for screwing in a hook or bracket wherever I like and not worrying about destroying the classic look!

Mike

Mike S.

When you finish the replacement and are ready for paint...consider linear polyurethane. It's worth the extra added expense for the durability you get out of it.

Back
Top Bottom