Where do you park your camper?

Main Line Overland

Advanced Member
Hi All,

I am extending a questions to all of you FWC owners who happen to live in or near a larger city, or don't have a garage or spot in the driveway for your camper. Where do you park/store your camper??

We have a potential customer who lives in and around the Boston area with no place to readily park his truck and camper. Most local public storage options seem steep. Any creative ideas people have come up with?

Thanks in advance for any advice we can pass along.

I have a storage place where I have my camper stored. It is outside. I have the camper on 3/4" plywood X's with a full sheet of 3/4" sheet on the ground and a full sheet of 3/4" pf plywood on top of the X's. I lower the camper onto the sheet of plywood, so the camper is supported on the plywood sheet and the legs are on the plywood shims with roofing membrane between the leg bases and the plywood. Under the plywood are galvanized "L" sheet metal with holes that are held in place under the camper jacks and plywood shims. The camper is fully tarped. I pay $55/month. When I retire the camper will be on my truck full time. I will try and post some photos.

longhorn1 said:
I have a storage place where I have my camper stored. It is outside. I have the camper on 3/4" plywood X's with a full sheet of 3/4" sheet on the ground and a full sheet of 3/4" pf plywood on top of the X's. I lower the camper onto the sheet of plywood, so the camper is supported on the plywood sheet and the legs are on the plywood shims with roofing membrane between the leg bases and the plywood. Under the plywood are galvanized "L" sheet metal with holes that are held in place under the camper jacks and plywood shims. The camper is fully tarped. I pay $55/month. When I retire the camper will be on my truck full time. I will try and post some photos.
Good info, keep them coming folks!

That is a tough question! I'm keeping my Grandby on the truck for now and just parking in a spot in our apartment complex with no cover. My main concern with a larger city (we currently live in Emmaus, PA) would be security for the rig. I wish your potential customer the best in his efforts to find a safe and reasonable place to keep his camper.

Ours lives on the truck full time and it is parked on the street. Camper is locked up and I have an alarm in the truck. Been that way for a few years now. Lately I need to move it every 4-5 days to keep parking enforcement off me but I think that happened when someone else reported a car trailer down the street, so they are checking everything. PITA. Used to not move it for 4-6 months at a time.

Drove through Oakland this weekend saw two FWC's sitting on trucks one was in a driveway the other one was parked in an apartment parking lot.

If we were living in our SF Condo I would probably leave it on the truck and park on the street. Neighbor around the corner has a F350 dually with a big hard sided thing on it with at least one slide out he parks it right in front of his house. Pretty sure he rents out rooms in his house and spends the weekends away up or down the coast with the camper and returns during the week and probably works down town. Been doing it for the past 8yrs.

I getting warned by my city of residence that my F-350 with mounted Grandby slide-in is an RV that can’t be parked in my driveway. Anyone have this same issue with their city of residence?

Escapepod said:
I getting warned by my city of residence that my F-350 with mounted Grandby slide-in is an RV that can’t be parked in my driveway. Anyone have this same issue with their city of residence?
I would read the actual ordinance to see how they define RV. Don’t take the code enforcement people’s word for it.

Also, check with your state’s DMV for definitions of an RV. Pay attention to how a pop-up is treated. For example, in Oregon, a truck camper must be registered and get a license plate only if it is longer than xx feet in the living area and also taller than yy inches while going down the road. That leaves out some FWC models because the height is too short. Does the city’s designation override the state’s?

You may need to do similar research to get an answer.

Good luck.
Paul

Back
Top Bottom