Where to go in Oregon and Washington?

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
We are planning on hitting the road for about 10 days over Christmas/New Years holidays. Tentative plan is to get in some time along the coast and in the wine country. Possibly go north along the coast and south inland or vice versa. We know it will likely be a wet trip. Sounds like Crater Lake and Mt. St. Helens pretty much shut down for the winter so are not options. Olympic N.P. is partially open so we would like to go there. So members local or familiar to these states, what are some of the must see locations, best camping areas, etc?

Thanks in advance. Ted

Wow, that is mighty big country you could travel....

I'd definitely do the Olympic coast. Those little towns on the water are cool. Lots of nooks and crannies to get lost in. Don't forget the hot springs....nice in winter.

Wine country will probably be cool/cold but hopefully you will get some sun. Don't know how the winery hours are in winter.

South East OR is nice in that it is sparse and high desert. Lots of good exploring to do.

Decide how much driving y ou want to do and how much rain you can handle and we can probably help you narrow it down some more!!

Dave in Seattle

I always like visiting the waterfalls up in Oregon when we go to the shows.

They are less than 1 hour off Interstate 5.

Go to Portland. Then head East on I-84 up the Columbia River Gorge.

Great scenery, nice fish hatchery at Bonneville, mountains on one side of the road with waterfalls and the river on the other side.

Attachments

• Herman.JPG
    Herman.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 423
  • P1010014.JPG
    P1010014.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 443
  • P1010030.JPG
    P1010030.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 451
  • P1010028.JPG
    P1010028.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 448
  • P1010015.JPG
    P1010015.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 443
same waterfall, different season

Hey Stan,

Here is a shot my wife took last week. This is the same waterfall that is in your photos.

Attachments

• waterfall.JPG
    waterfall.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 362
Sorry I didn't come through with some suggestions for you Ted. Winter means nasty weather up here and I'm not sure of camping spots other than way out in the SE Oregon desert.

No problem, DD

We headed out to the coast from here and enjoyed some nice spots. Oregon State Parks are so much nicer than California's and some were less than half the price! We'll go back again someday, but in a better season.
But, if you really feel bad for not coming through, you could do me a favor...
While in Oregon, I got a bottle of Ninkasi Total Domination Ale. Good stuff!:p Not available here. :( So I would gladly reimburse you if you could bring a couple of bottles to DV with you.:thumb:

Ninkasi Beer

The brewery is in Eugene but I bought it during a gas stop on the coast, possibly a Chevron station in Coos Bay. They are rather distinctive and should be easy to spot - 22 oz bottles, black with a black label. Oh, and it is $4 a bottle! I appreciate any effort but don't go out of your way to find it. Maybe just look next time you are getting gas.

Thanks.

Beer is a way of life here. What kind of ale was it? If I can't find that exact one, I can bring down some similar brews that will knock your socks off!

You're going above and beyond!

The bottle I had was an IPA. I would say it is similar to Ruination by Stone Brewing, another excellent brew. We have a few local brewers around here. I'll have to find bring some with me to exchange.

The bottle I had was an IPA. I would say it is similar to Ruination by Stone Brewing, another excellent brew. We have a few local brewers around here. I'll have to find bring some with me to exchange.

You should bring him some firestone, I don't believe they distributed into OR.

Firestone brews

Thanks pods8. I am not familiar with their brews. They are rated highly on Beer Advocate and Ratebeer, unlike any of the brewpubs local to me. And I can get some at Bevmo. I will do some "research" on these brews this weekend!

Ted

Good deal, let us know your findings. They look like they have some solid beers, I haven't had the chance to check them out yet either as I haven't stumbled across them in WA or OR yet (thus why I figured it would be a new treat for him).

Another couple gems you CA boys have that are hard to get ahold of are Pizza Port and Russian River. If you're in the area of these places I'd check them out (really I mean I would check them out :D), I've heard good reviews. I've sampled some Russian River stuff brought back up to WA by a buddy and it was tasty.

more good calls

Pizza Pub is southern Cal so not available up here. Maybe a Wanderer coming to Death Valley next weekend can provide (Simimike)? Russian River is not available where I live but is where my folks live. And, as it happens, I am visiting them this weekend! Score!

It turns out I will be making the DV run solo. Our dog is not traveling well so my wife is going to stay home with her. She is not a beer drinker and, seeing all this talk about beer, is beginning to think that is not a bad thing.

I'd be happy to bring the beer. I'm not familiar with that brand "Pizza Port". Can someone direct me to their web site or location? This is not something we should leave to chance, way to important. Thanks.

Cheers,

Mike

I'd be happy to bring the beer. I'm not familiar with that brand "Pizza Port". Can someone direct me to their web site or location? This is not something we should leave to chance, way to important. Thanks.

Cheers,

Mike

Its actually "pizza port", its down by san diego: http://www.pizzaport.com/ I haven't had these guys but if I'm remembering correctly the head brewer here went to school with the head brewer of russian river and they are supposed to both be pretty good (I think russian river has a leg up though). Another SoCal brewery to check out that you may or may not have heard of that is supposed to be good: http://www.alesmith.com/

You Should Know

"Yesterday scientists revealed that beer contains female hormones. To prove their theory the sceintists fed 100 men 12 pints of beer and observed that 100% of them gained weight, talked excessivly without making sense, became emotional, and couldn't drive. No further testing is planned'.

Ninkasi Beer in Bend

DD, according to the brewery, you can find their beer at Whole Foods in Bend. Strange that we have Whole Foods here but they don't carry it. You would think they would split it up between all stores. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom