Which Four Wheel Camper?

We would like to purchase a used Four Wheel Camper and have started searching the internet for one. Our truck is a 1500 dodge quad cab with a regular size bed. Is the Hawk the only camper that will fit? From what I've read some people put a bigger camper on and leave the tailgate down. Would that work on our truck? Are there any other models what would work with modifications? Where is the best place to look for one for sale as close as possible to Oklahoma? We would like to find one before our next trip to Florida in January 2008, think it's possible for us to find one by then?

if you haven't already, try used4wheelcampers.com. http://www.usedfourwheelcampers.com/page11.html...other then that, craig's list, auto trader, ebay, etc. needless to say they are hard to find but don't give up, look often and one will usually "pop up"! there is a dealer in eagle, WI also, may want to contact them and see if they have any leads. good luck and welcome to the forum.

Used FWC

Looks like erod covered most of your question. Sometimes it takes some time to find one but the wait will be worth it.

If you get a chance give us a call when you have some time and I can go over with you what to look for when you do find one. There are a few things that you want to look for when you find a used one to make sure you don't have some expensive repairs before you get to use it.

Hawk on Dodge 1500

As you can see by my signature, I have the same combination you are talking about. Yes, you can put the longer model on your Dodge by leaving the tail gate on, but if you're going to travel dirt roads, I don't suggest it. As discussed in this thread http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=718 my truck only has a few hundred pounds before I go over the total payload capacity. It drives well with the suspension upgrades that I did, but I don't think I would like to have the extra weight hanging off the back.

Having said that, if your not planning to 4X4 with it, I think it would be quite comfortable. Also, if your truck isn't a 4X4 you have several hundred extra pounds of payload to accommodate the extra weight of the bigger camper. Sorry I don't remember what the longer camper is called.

looking for hawk

Travis,

In looking over your post again there are a couple of things that you do need to watch for in getting a used camper. Your tailgate opening should be either 60" or 58" depending on the year of your truck.

You need to measure this and remember what it is. When you start to look for a used camper, have the seller tell you what the measurement is across the back of the camper. The older campers are 64" across and will not fit in your truck. For a few years they were made 60" across and now most all are made 58" across to fit the newer trucks.

As to putting a Grandby (an 8' model) on your truck, it will work. Considering that you have a 1/2 ton model, you may have to add some air bags or air shocks, depending on how the truck handles the load.

Again, when you get a chance, give me a call and I can go over some of the things you need to watch for when buying a used camper.

Used Camper Checklist ( Ben )

Hi Ben,

If you get a chance, not that your not busy running a new business, building campers, travelling and spending time here helping all of us out which we really appreciate. However, if you get a free moment and are looking for a thread topic, I think a used camper "what to watch out for" when kicking the tires checklist would be great for those of us still searching for our FWC or ATC. Just a thought, I hope all is well and business is booming. Let me know if you ever need any real estate help, I'm right up the hill :D

Rich

used camper

Rich,

That is a good idea. Will do that this morning for you. Will put the thread on both the forums so that everyone can benifit from it.

Thanks Ben

Thanks Ben,

That will help out a lot. As usual you are going above and beyond!:D

Back
Top Bottom