who has made move from first gen Tundra to Tacoma?

campito

Advanced Member
I've got a 2005 double cab Tundra, 4x4, with the small V8. it is comfortable, reliable and the V8 is so nice. However, it is big (for me) and the turning radius is terrible. I live in Bishop, am retiring in a few weeks, and would like something smaller to explore all the trails available to me in the Sierra, Whites, Inyos, Death Valley.

I'm also driving to Alaska next summer by myself, stopping at as much water as I can and fly fishing. So my wife would like me to get a newer more modern truck, like a 3rd gen Tacoma. My camper is a Fleet.

Who has made the trade from a first gen Tundra to a Tacoma. Are you happy or sorry you made the change?

I made the transition from 2011 Tacoma to a 2013 Tundra and I have never regretted the transition. The Tundra is a much more comfortable ride and carries the camper load much better especially after I added another spring leaf as well as air bags. The main disadvantage of the 2nd gen Tundra is the gas mileage and reduced range, especially with the drive to AK in your plans. But I know of a guy that went to an after market larger tank and is very happy with that.

I have a 2nd gen tacoma w/ fleet flatbed.
I have an extra gas tank. About 30 gallons total (between the factory and extra 12gallons).
I get about 10 MPG. So, about 300 miles between fillups.

I have OME springs and shocks in the front. Deaver leaf pack and airbags in the back. The ride is stiff, but not bad.
I have a different final gear for a bit more low end power.
No problems w/ power or anything. Definitely great torque w/ my gearing. And, I can maintain speed on the crazy 80mph highways out west.. But that is my limit.

The gas mileage is my only complaint.
but like you are wanting to do, I take this rig on roads I could not take a full size truck. Every time I'm out, I get in a situation I couldn't pass in a full size vehicle. And I get to those last camp sites only jeeps and taco's get to.

I believe you are going to miss the power of that V8. I had a hawk on a first gen tundra with the 4.0l six cyl and I would term the power as adequate on the flats but wanting in the mountains. I know the Tacoma has a bit more power these days but it is not near what you would be giving up and a small motor working hard does not equate to good mpg. Stay with a small V8 or a turbo six is my 2cents.

[SIZE=14pt]Campito – We went the other way, Tacoma to a Ford F150 but you might find the following stats helpful in your decision making process:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]2nd generation Tacoma with ATC Bobcat (similar to a Fleet): [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt] Alaska, 2010 – Total miles = 8,912, MPG Avg. = 16.23[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt] Alaska, 2014 – Total miles = 9,462, MPG Avg. = 16.84[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]2017 F150, 5.0 V8 with Hawk Camper:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt] Labrador, 2017, - Tolal miles = 12,528, MPG Avg. = 15.10 *[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt] Alaska, 2019, - Total miles = 10,701, MPG Avg. = 15.78[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]All mpg figures hand calculated as the truck computers tend to exaggerate[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]* Ford only had 3,000 miles at the outset, mileage improved as trip progressed[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Tacoma will get better mpg (but not by a lot). Turning radius is better on the Tacoma but the Ford isn’t bad. Ford has 36 gallon gas tank and close to 600 mile range. Ford also has 2,200 lb. payload package. Ford/camper get more pinstriping when out on trails but your Fleet is 5” narrower than our Hawk so should get less. I know that you have not indicated any interest in a Ford but I am just using mine for this comparison. As everyone on this forum can attest to, there are always compromises to be made when deciding on your personal “ideal" rig. The best set up for the long distance trip to AK may not be the best set up for the eastern Sierra trails. Good luck with your decision . . . . and you are going to love retirement! [/SIZE]

We have an 05 Tundra with an Ocelot camper - I built it out so likely a bit lighter than stock camper outfitted. We average 14 mpg (over 100K miles) and the ride is fine with a sway bar and air bags. But we are upgrading to a 2021 Tundra with a Cougar - so 8' bed. will lose some in getting around tight places but with two people and a Lab, the extra space will be welcome. I do not anticipate losing much in getting into places that are a tight, but there will be few. on the other hand, we often go places that friends with vans cannot get into since they are so much bigger. We will be doing trips that are going to be 2 -3 months, so the extra space is something we really wanted.

Missing Link said:
[SIZE=14pt]2nd generation Tacoma with ATC Bobcat (similar to a Fleet): [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt] Alaska, 2010 – Total miles = 8,912, MPG Avg. = 16.23[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt] Alaska, 2014 – Total miles = 9,462, MPG Avg. = 16.84[/SIZE]
Missing Link,
I hope I'm not crossing the Off Topic line too much, but could you tell me what tires you had and if it was lifted or any other mods? You got much better MPG than I do, with the same truck.

Wicked! - How about if I PM you tomorrow so as to not flirt with the Off Topic line? :) I do have one question though, from what i can make out in your avatar, it looks like you have a flat bed. Is that correct?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom