Who says it rains in Oregon!

zonker

Advanced Member
Just a quick report on the events of last weekend. As you can tell by our only photo.. the skies are beautiful blue, the air crisp and the coast.. gorgeous!

The reality.. it poured all night. We could tell by the drum on the aluminum roof. The sun came out for let say.. 8 minutes. Long enough to jump out, prop up the camera, set the self-timer, take one shot and pack it back up just in time. From the time we headed inland until we were over the coast range it was almost a white-out.

We are now truly in love with our FWC as we did not have to crawl out of the tent and pack up everything wet. It was great. We packed up inside... popped out for no more than 5 minutes to lower the top, pack-up (or wet pack) the rear door faux awning and drive away.

This is going to be a great way to travel and attend Hog Festivals!

Attachments

• CapeBlancoDuo.jpg
    CapeBlancoDuo.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 352
Yup, you're hooked now.

Sounds chilly. Did you use the heater at all? It's definitely my favorite feature on a damp morning. :thumb:

Yup, you're hooked now.

Sounds chilly. Did you use the heater at all? It's definitely my favorite feature on a damp morning. :thumb:

That is Alice's favorite feature as well. I don't complain about it too much :)

Nice choice on the FWC hauler. :thumb:

Kyle

Rain In Oregon?

Baloney, Whitethorn, in the last 30hrs. 6 1/2 inches, we've had a late winter here, I hope things clear out before the MAIN EVENT.

That is Alice's favorite feature as well. I don't complain about it too much :)

Nice choice on the FWC hauler. :thumb:

Kyle

Kyle I just PM'd you.

Heater? Yep... one feature that we are BOTH enjoying! I think getting to middle-aged status after close to 50 years of sleeping on the ground with the only heat being feathers wrapped around you... a heater, running water, hot water, a stove bigger than a smalll saucepan and something to sleep on besides a Thermarest is truly some of life's wonders.

Remember setting a tent UP in the rain and taking it down in the rain? Wasn't that fun?

I took a trip up the Foresthill Divide road, can't remember if it was spring or fall but it was raining hard. I was inside the clouds and it was night. I couldn't see a thing. I was doing five mph just trying to make sure I was still on the pavement. Finally see a turnout. Pull over, get out just long enough to pop the latches on the fwc. Very nice night listening to the rain pounding thinking about what if I'd been tent camping. No way I'd have been able to put up a tent. It would have been a night of sleeping in the car/truck and I've never owned a vehicle that was comfortable to sleep in.

I remember when I couldn't afford a truck.

Remember setting a tent UP in the rain and taking it down in the rain? Wasn't that fun?

I took a trip up the Foresthill Divide road, can't remember if it was spring or fall but it was raining hard. I was inside the clouds and it was night. I couldn't see a thing. I was doing five mph just trying to make sure I was still on the pavement. Finally see a turnout. Pull over, get out just long enough to pop the latches on the fwc. Very nice night listening to the rain pounding thinking about what if I'd been tent camping. No way I'd have been able to put up a tent. It would have been a night of sleeping in the car/truck and I've never owned a vehicle that was comfortable to sleep in.

While in college, my friend and I drove to the Sierra's in my VW Rabbit for a 10 day back packing trip, set off on foot and kept an eye on some clouds in the distance. Within a few minutes, they were poring rain on us. We couldn't afford rain gear beyond a poncho each (and one would be the ground cloth for the borrowed tent). We could either get soaked or put on our ponchos and sit on our back packs. We choose the later. Fortunately, I had packed my stuff such that it took me about 30 seconds to drop my pack, retrieve my poncho, put it on and sit on my pack. Bill hadn't even finished pulling out his poncho when he saw me sitting as dry as could be expected, with a big smile on my face.

We had intermittent rain for the next 48 hours. Each time we had to scramble for our ponchos or duck into the 2 man tent we had. That was great trip.

Note: Bill brought his dog "Charlie," an Australian Sheppard, and that's when I fell in love with the bread.

Back
Top Bottom