Wierd camper "fitment" question...

Riverrunner

Hi all,

I've been lurking on this site for a little while off and on the last year or so. Lately, I've been doing a lot of reading here and haven't seen any topics regarding what I might be looking at now that I'm getting a bit more serious about what I think I want. So here it goes...

Has anyone put a full size 6.5' short box camper in a long bed? Is there any reason it wouldn't work given a camper like a FWC or ATC is pretty light? In my mind, this would allow me to keep my cross bed truck box installed with all of it's tools and maybe even allow me to also carry my 90 gal aux fuel tank as well. The truck is an f350 crewcab dually so I'm not worried about the truck not handling it. It's certainly not a compact WTW type rig but it's what I have. I'm assuming these campers are wide enough with swing out brackets to clear the dually fenders?

In a past life I had 9.5' S&S which was great but was too big for some of the places I like or want to go. I then got a boat that was too heavy to techically tow with an extension and with the camper, so I didn't use it much and sold it. Now it seems in this new life and an addition of some other toys, some sort of RV is back in the picture as camping in the offseason here in Oregon is not much fun in a tent or in the back seat of your SUV as I did this weekend.

Thanks for any comments on this idea and would also like to say I enjoy the posting and photo's of the adventures the members here go on.

With a front mounted fuel cell or toolbox, I think you would probably experience turbulence issues and tons of cab noise.

Yes, it will clear duals with the extended brackets on the front jacks.

My only picture, taken the night we brought our Phoenix home. 6.5' camper in an 8' bed. I have it sitting centered over the axle. Gives us storage space in front of the camper (I keep our camp chairs there) and a bit of a step/porch at the rear of the camper. If not enclosed what ever is put between the cab and the camper can get blown out. I had to stop once and move something light after not realizing just how much force there is there. Can't say that I've noticed any more noise or turbulence than w/o the camper in the bed. I prefer to drive with a window down than to use the A/C, so I would have noticed.

IMG_0433.jpg

So I'm not totally out there. I did some measuring last night and a shortbox camper will fit well with my truck box left in. I'd have to leave the tailgate on and down if I added the fuel tank.

After looking at rotti's link, I then got the bright idea that I could drop the tail gate, leave the truck box in, and be able to fit a 8'er on there. I'd need an extension to tow my flatbed trailer but that wouldn't be a big deal. Truck box would have to come out tho to tow my boat.

How big of a deal is the 1.5' diffence in length?

Hey Riverrunner, it's been discussed before(not being rude) here's the thread. Other than looking "funny" it seems entirely doable. Welcome to the "cult"!! :cool:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4779/

Thanks LT Traveler. No worries on being rude. I'm trying use the search before I ask. I found some other threads on this topic while doing a search on furnaces and heaters. Go figure. :LOL:

Truth be known, I've always had a facination with these campers especially the FWC ever since the Turtle Expedition from way back when. Growing up we always tent camped and always tried to seek out the out of the way places. Love and miss those adventures. As I mentioned I had a big camper but it was too cumbersome and couldn't take it where I really wanted to go. I also don't need all of the maintenace issues either...simple is good. I now have a chance and I'm in a position to seriously look into one of these as some of my priorities have changed and realize I'm not getting any younger. There are a lot of places to see and lots of playing that needs to be done. It'll be a year or more before I can pull the trigger but I also have a lot of research and decisions to make. I want to do this once. Thanks again everyone.

Driving your huge truck, I'd want to reap the benefits of the bigger FWC Keystone or Granby if you want a little less maintenance. Depends how many you're planning on traveling with I guess. Our Hawk gets small quick with two of us and a 40lb dog. We love it but....big truck, slightly bigger camper would be nice.

I'm leaning toward the Grandby/Cougar shell now. Given a lot of my camping will be when there is the least amount of daylight and the most rain, the extra space will be nice for two of us. I can still leave my truck box in and sit the aft end of the camper on the tailgate. The transfer fuel tank may just have to be left at home. There is aways a compromise. After looking at some of the photos here, there is not a lot storage and that is a concern which is why I want to keep the truck box installed for tools and such. A short hitch extension will be fine when I have the quads in tow to clear the over hang.

I'm assuming my torklift tie downs will work on a FWC or ATC?

I'm leaning toward the Grandby/Cougar shell now. Given a lot of my camping will be when there is the least amount of daylight and the most rain, the extra space will be nice for two of us. I can still leave my truck box in and sit the aft end of the camper on the tailgate. The transfer fuel tank may just have to be left at home. There is aways a compromise. After looking at some of the photos here, there is not a lot storage and that is a concern which is why I want to keep the truck box installed for tools and such. A short hitch extension will be fine when I have the quads in tow to clear the over hang.

I'm assuming my torklift tie downs will work on a FWC or ATC?

FYI....leaving the tailgate down can lead to difficulties accessing the spare tire lowering mechanism. But I think you're headed in the right direction, bigger camper more space for you and gear. Leaving the box in the bed will be nice too.

Back
Top Bottom