Wild Horse reservoir

Chukar Hunter

Anybody been to Wild Horse Reservoir north of Elko Nevada? Looks like a buitiful place but have never been to that part of the state. In what I have read about it there seems to be some primitive camping along the shore. I (as most of you)like to avoid campgrounds.

Mr. Chukar, we have been by there three or four times, just passing through. I remember part of the land BLM, part Nevada State Park, and part tribal.

BLM

Nevada State Parks

I remember high open country with the Owyhee River draining out to the north.

Anybody been to Wild Horse Reservoir north of Elko Nevada? Looks like a buitiful place but have never been to that part of the state. In what I have read about it there seems to be some primitive camping along the shore. I (as most of you)like to avoid campgrounds.

They had something on TV a while back about it being pretty low this year; I was there years ago, so that will not help you now. Call the state nor BLM, but if I remember the the tv spot a couple of months ago, it looked bad, real low and a lack of water. Nevada has been as dry as NE Ca so call them and find out about the present conditions, but it used to be nice there-maybe it rained allot of late-good luck!

Smoke

We stayed in the campground at the State Recreation Area a couple of years back. Spaces were pretty well spaced, nice bathrooms, and it was quiet. Still, I noticed people boondocking on the shores all and thought they had made the better choice. It was just an overnight stop enroute for us so didn't hang out in the area.

Back
Top Bottom