Winter Break in Death Valley!

Great TR, as usual. Thanks for sharing locations, which we are ardently adding to our wish list!
Game trails become indian trails, which become pioneer trails (usually miners out west), and sometimes become paved roads. It's fun to go back and resurrect the past. Looking forward to future installments.

Endless places to explore in Death Valley. Thanks for sharing your adventures. Some great views and nice photos too.

Doug Stewart said:
Thanks for the fun report and photos, 3pin! DV is indeed hard to beat.
Thanks Stew, you are sure right about Death Valley! You know, we looked all over to find your tub at the "Ranch". We did not find it. The Lady wanted to get an updated photo for you.

gallery_172_12_151912.jpg

Another sterling TR, including another tantalizing view of DV geology. If there is anywhere in the Lower 48 which has more varied and and well-exposed geology, I'd love to see it. I've GOT to get out there some time!

The brief read I did on the Kingston Peak Formation as a deposit of glacial sediments brings back fond memories of geology lessons past and recent. Reference is made to "dropstones" within the Kingston Peak Formation. Our petrology and sedimentation/stratigraphy professors delighted in taking students to outcrops of the Konnarock Formation at the foot of Mount Rogers, VA, not far from our home base at Appalachian State U, Boone, NC. The outcrops showed large clasts of all sorts of older rocks within a very fine mudstone matrix. The juxtaposition of the large clasts (normally indicative of a high energy depositional environment) and the mudstone (normally indicative of a low energy depositional environment) was puzzling to the newbie petrology and sed/strat students. It was rare that anybody "got it" without some leading questions provided by the professors.

Dropstones, you see, are deposited in large glacial lakes, where very fine-grained sediments fill the depths, minding their own business until a raft of ice calves off and floats out away from the high energy shoreline--a raft carrying chunks of gravel plucked from the floor and walls of the glacier's valley. As the raft of ice melts, its cargo sinks to the bottom, plunked into the soft muds below. Once hardened into rock, the rock's clasts are referred to as, you guessed it, dropstones.

The Konnarock Formation glacial deposits are of somewhat younger than the basement rocks of the Death Valley area, and were deposited in the late Precambrian, at which point in time the position of what is now southwestern Virginia was close to today's South Pole. That's a lot of continental drift, eh?

Foy

Foy said:
Another sterling TR, including another tantalizing view of DV geology. If there is anywhere in the Lower 48 which has more varied and and well-exposed geology, I'd love to see it. I've GOT to get out there some time!

The brief read I did on the Kingston Peak Formation as a deposit of glacial sediments brings back fond memories of geology lessons past and recent. Reference is made to "dropstones" within the Kingston Peak Formation. Our petrology and sedimentation/stratigraphy professors delighted in taking students to outcrops of the Konnarock Formation at the foot of Mount Rogers, VA, not far from our home base at Appalachian State U, Boone, NC. The outcrops showed large clasts of all sorts of older rocks within a very fine mudstone matrix. The juxtaposition of the large clasts (normally indicative of a high energy depositional environment) and the mudstone (normally indicative of a low energy depositional environment) was puzzling to the newbie petrology and sed/strat students. It was rare that anybody "got it" without some leading questions provided by the professors.

Dropstones, you see, are deposited in large glacial lakes, where very fine-grained sediments fill the depths, minding their own business until a raft of ice calves off and floats out away from the high energy shoreline--a raft carrying chunks of gravel plucked from the floor and walls of the glacier's valley. As the raft of ice melts, its cargo sinks to the bottom, plunked into the soft muds below. Once hardened into rock, the rock's clasts are referred to as, you guessed it, dropstones.

The Konnarock Formation glacial deposits are of somewhat younger than the basement rocks of the Death Valley area, and were deposited in the late Precambrian, at which point in time the position of what is now southwestern Virginia was close to today's South Pole. That's a lot of continental drift, eh?

Foy
Foy, thanks so much for adding to our understanding of geology. The concept of continental drift - big blocks of crust roaming around Earth's surface - really comes to the forefront when I see glacial deposits in the mountains of Death Valley National Park, one of the hottest and driest places on Earth. I wonder where the plate was located when the glacier existed. And, then when we viewed the sedimentary deposits with the 6 million year old mega-fauna tracks, we were told those layers were swampland near the equator. That's a lot of traveling. Great stuff and thanks, Foy!

Totally my pleasure, ski. Inasmuch as petrology and sed/strat are prerequisites to senior level historical geology courses, we newbies normally lacked the understanding that our "home plate" had been all over the globe during the course of geological time. We were also hamstrung, to a degree, by the fact that plate tectonics/continental drift were just beginning to be widely accepted theories in the late 1960s and early 1970s. So we, like you, were confounded to see deposits of sedimentary rocks resulting from glacial activity in the Blue Ridge of southwest Virginia, within a few tens of miles of Saltville, VA, where mastodon and sabre-tooth tiger fossils of far more recent age were well-known, with thick deposits of Carboniferous coals, deposited in tropical swamps, lying stratigraphically between the two. WTH?

Foy

And the list just gets longer of places to explore. Thanks for the great trip report

So many DV stories made over the holidays. I wish I was there again to check out all the places in the report. Thanks for sharing, lots of great photos. I espically liked all the rock photos in post three, it's quite a challenge to get up the trail with so much to admire, isn't it?

Thanks Ski for another stellar trip report. Your photos and text are beautiful and extremely informative. We are planning our first trip to DV in late February - your posts (plus the others on this forum) are like having a customized guide book. Thanks again - we really appreciate the work you put into your reports.

ski3pin said:
Thanks Stew, you are sure right about Death Valley! You know, we looked all over to find your tub at the "Ranch". We did not find it. The Lady wanted to get an updated photo for you.

gallery_172_12_151912.jpg
3pin, couldn't you guys even find the heavy concrete base? I have to say, I really liked the Barker Ranch. We spent a couple of spooky nights in there by lantern and fire light. Did you check out the ruins and foundation farther up the road?

Doug Stewart said:
3pin, couldn't you guys even find the heavy concrete base? I have to say, I really liked the Barker Ranch. We spent a couple of spooky nights in there by lantern and fire light. Did you check out the ruins and foundation farther up the road?
That side of the building seemed to be a bit of a mess, maybe due to the fire. We didn't see the concrete base, but didn't look for it either. We had tub on our minds. We didn't go up the road, just walked to the south over to the road ends sign to look up at Meyers. I bet it was spooky! I was a senior in high school in 1969 and had a couple of buddies that I explored/traveled the desert with. I still remember my friend Bob telling the rest of us the story of where the Family was arrested when the news came out.

Back
Top Bottom