WTW Gathering - July 2019 - Tahoe Sierra Area

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
What a great time that was! Thank you to all who took part, it was such a nice group of people! Julie & I are just back home after locking up the group camp. This will be the thread if anyone would like to post photos or comments. I will be adding our photos and comments in a bit.

Here is the original posting about the gathering -

Wander the West Gathering - July 2019 - Tahoe Sierra Area

Let me be the first with a big shout out to Ski and Julie for being such great hosts of the WTW gathering. I had a great time meeting new friends and catching up with old ones I haven't seen in a few years. The weather couldn't have been any better! Lots of great rigs to check out and plenty of good conversation.
The food everyone prepared was outstanding, and I think I might have gained a pound or two. The food was so good, it was also enjoyed by a couple of uninvited guests. I'm sure Ski will fill you in.......
Again, thanks to SKI and Julie, and everyone I got the opportunity to meet and chat with for a great time. Maybe, if we're lucky, this might become a yearly event. I'll post a few picures when I get home next week.

Let me second that K6ON, sorry I had to cut out tuesday afternoon, what did I miss ? The group camp was nice, it was great seeing all the rigs and members from the clan. Thank you very much Julie and Montie for putting the event together !!!!!

C'mon! Not one photo from any of you? It is bad enough I couldn't make it. You are going to make sure I don't see what I missed either.

Ted said:
C'mon! Not one photo from any of you? It is bad enough I couldn't make it. You are going to make sure I don't see what I missed either.
In regards to us, been busy with other things. Patience, Ted, patience at least with us. :)

I'm with Ted, pics or it didn't happen :) Unfortunately my days off didn't align this time. Won't be a problem next year.

K6ON said:
The food everyone prepared was outstanding, and I think I might have gained a pound or two. The food was so good, it was also enjoyed by a couple of uninvited guests. I'm sure Ski will fill you in.......
and from the initial announcement about the gathering -

"To be proactive we want to eliminate two possible conflicts from the start so have set some guidelines. Bears frequent this campground. No food, ice chests, bottles, or other food/scent related articles will be unattended at any time. All items will be stored out of sight. While we all love dogs, they will not permitted to run loose in the campground. In camp, all dogs must be on a leash, staked out or confined at all times. Bears frequent the area along with other critters that may enjoy your pet."

everyone was forewarned.....................................................

A big thank you to Monte and Julie for covering the details that made the event so enjoyable. My husband was very impressed that the hosts would take the time to individually thank each person for attending, we both have not experienced that before. The other take away was the great diversity of backgrounds of fellow campers but all having the common denominator of love and respect for the outdoors. We do not have any pictures to post (next time) but wish we could somehow "bottle" the relaxing and inspiring aroma of pine trees and western cedar.

Ted said:
I'm still on the road Ted, will post a few when I get home. BTW, you were missed, get well soon!

[SIZE=20pt]Wander the West Gathering - July 2019[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]The weather was perfect with warm days and cool nights. The scent of pines filled the air. The mosquitoes left most everyone alone except for the sweet ones. Delvin learned a bear can easily open the latches on an ice chest and gulp down a big tri-tip in less than one second.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]At dawn the first morning I photographed most of the participant's rigs.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]kramme[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]
WTW-Gathering-July2019-001-copy.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]PaulT[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]
WTW-Gathering-July2019-002-copy.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]Lunch (left) and Smokecreek1[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]
WTW-Gathering-July2019-006-copy.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]GroovyDad[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]
WTW-Gathering-July2019-005-copy.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]marty[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]
WTW-Gathering-July2019-008-copy.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]marc[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]
WTW-Gathering-July2019-010-copy.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]Delvin - honorary WTW member[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]
WTW-Gathering-July2019-011-copy.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]K6ON[/SIZE]

WTW-Gathering-July2019-012-copy.jpg

[SIZE=20pt]Mark G[/SIZE]

WTW-Gathering-July2019-014-copy.jpg

[SIZE=20pt]Lighthawk[/SIZE]

WTW-Gathering-July2019-015-copy.jpg

[SIZE=20pt]LAWNMOWERMAN[/SIZE]

WTW-Gathering-July2019-016-copy.jpg

[SIZE=20pt]camelracer[/SIZE]

WTW-Gathering-July2019-017-copy.jpg

[SIZE=20pt]fish more [/SIZE][SIZE=20pt]took off to Gerle Reservoir for some float tube fly fishing before I could get a photo.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]Our friend Trailer Woman was a special guest at the gathering. I was negligent and did not get a photo of her humble abode.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]I, surprisingly, also failed to get a photo of the ski3pin rig[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]Here are a few overall photos -[/SIZE]

WTW-Gathering-July2019-009-copy.jpg

WTW-Gathering-July2019-007-copy.jpg

WTW-Gathering-July2019-004-copy.jpg

[SIZE=20pt]Delvin was up and cutting up a huge pile of golden potatoes. A huge pile.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=20pt]"Delvin," I asked. "Who in the world are you cooking breakfast for?"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=20pt]"Anyone who wanders by," he answered. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=20pt]I knew we all would be well fed![/SIZE]

WTW-Gathering-July2019-018-copy.jpg

[SIZE=20pt]
WTW-Gathering-July2019-019-copy.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]marty and marc both helped with flipping pancakes. It was a great breakfast. Thank you guys![/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]Our little buddy Barking Spider was not able to attend as he and his mule buddies were needed to pack equipment into Desolation Wilderness for the trail crew.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]Tuesday the Lady was eager to lead a group of hikers to a favorite location of ours along Bassi Fork. Trailer Woman, the Lighthawks, Lunch, and Mark G joined us.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]The wildflowers are still showing off, such as Camas Lillies and Mariposa Lillies.[/SIZE]

WTW-Gathering-July2019-021-copy.jpg

WTW-Gathering-July2019-024-copy.jpg

[SIZE=20pt]After a short hike we were out on the open granite dotted with glacial erratics.[/SIZE]

WTW-Gathering-July2019-037-copy.jpg

WTW-Gathering-July2019-029-copy.jpg

[SIZE=20pt]The group relaxed as Trailer Woman, the newly retired teacher, led the lesson on relaxation.[/SIZE]

WTW-Gathering-July2019-028-copy.jpg

[SIZE=20pt]Little Callie, the Lighthawk's companion, took the lesson to heart and dozed off.[/SIZE]

WTW-Gathering-July2019-033-copy.jpg

[SIZE=20pt]The Lady, of course, could not sit still and took off exploring. [/SIZE]

WTW-Gathering-July2019-030-copy.jpg

[SIZE=20pt]Trailer Woman and Lunch joined her.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]
WTW-Gathering-July2019-032-copy.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]Mark G sketched.[/SIZE]

WTW-Gathering-July2019-036-copy.jpg

[SIZE=20pt]Tuesday night dinner was a wonderful potluck. The Lady & I brought along 24 ears of corn to roast in the husks on top of hot coals. We would not have had success without PaulT's fire building skills and kramme's willingness to slave over the hot coals turning the corn. Thanks![/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]Delvin introduced us all to his two beef cows, "Cry Baby" and "Hamburger". Yes, Delvin raises his own food.[/SIZE]

WTW-Gathering-July2019-040-copy.jpg

WTW-Gathering-July2019-041-copy.jpg

[SIZE=20pt]The grill chefs did a tremendous job.[/SIZE]

WTW-Gathering-July2019-042-copy.jpg

[SIZE=20pt]marc also prepared a peach cobbler in a dutch oven.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]Things got real quiet as folks dug into dinner except for the Lady asking, "Who wants another ear of corn?"[/SIZE]

WTW-Gathering-July2019-038-copy.jpg

[SIZE=20pt]
WTW-Gathering-July2019-039-copy.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]Everyone contributed all kinds of great food that made the potluck a real treat. Thank you all![/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]My early morning walk revealed a mother bear and little one had taken advantage - unfortunately - of Delvin's ice chest that was left out. Expertly opening the latches, all kinds of goodies were eaten including tri-tip, turkey bacon, cheeses, and condiments. The little one left delicate teeth marks in a cube of butter. Delvin reported that he saw the bear outside and he climbed out of his camper in his boxer shorts. That did the trick. The bear ran off.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]The group thinned out Wednesday morning as several needed to return home. The remainder of us enjoyed another relaxing day in the pines.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]Wednesday evening was another pleasant time of storytelling as we finished up the huge tub of ice cream provided by K6ON. No one went hungry.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]Julie and I want to thank all who attended and we sorely missed those who were unable to attend.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]It was a fine group of people to enjoy a couple of days with.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=20pt]Cheers![/SIZE]

So sorry I couldn’t make the gathering. I would have loved to reconnect with old friends, and there are so many internet friends I would have liked to meet in person.

I can personally vouch for Delvin’s skills as a chef. His legendary grass fed steaks are truly a treat. Sure hope he didn’t lose any to the bear.

Thank you Mr 3Pin for posting the after gathering round up.

Enjoying the pictures and reports. Sorry I could not make it, getting ready for our trip to Europe. 9 days on a Ducati Multistrada through the Alps.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom