Wyoming winter ski tour

Keith in Co

Advanced Member
Last week I took a six day tour of some Wyoming ski resorts, and stayed in my ‘66 Alaskan 8’ NCO. My main objective was Grand Targhee, where it snowed 22” while I was there on top of 105” base. Great powder skiing and scenery. My ‘01 Dodge 2500 Cummins was in 4x4 some, but never needed chains.

Temperatures were about 10f at night and higher 20s during the day. Let my Wave 3 catalytic heater run on low during the day (to keep water system and lithium battery from freezing) and on high at night. Used 1/2” foam board shutters for the side windows, as the single panes would have leaked too many BTUs. Used the front window for ventilation, and plugged the ceiling vent with a Camco insulated block. Stayed comfortable, although after awhile humidity started to build up, so I’ll be looking into a 12v dehumidifier for future winter trips. Found the Memory Foam I used when recovering my seat cushions was much warmer than the stock cushions.

Water system rebuilt with PEX lines and 12v pump were trouble free. Gray water was returned to nature.

My three, 100w solar panels worked great. Even with several inches of snow on them, they kept the 100ah house battery charged about 90% or more. Ran my Novakool refer/freezer, LED lights, and USB chargers.

Used a new Omnia stove top oven for the first time, and it did everything I wanted it to do. Great to be able to bake food.

[

Attachments

• 2A930D57-6E9A-453E-90E7-8FC6BA728EF7.jpeg
    2A930D57-6E9A-453E-90E7-8FC6BA728EF7.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 138
Really great use of the right equipment to stay functional in 10-20F temps.
We run a Wave 3 also.

Sounds like some good powder skiing.

Sounds like a great trip. I spy some tele skis! Would like to do a similar trip next year from CA out to Grand Targhee & Jackson.

A few questions about your setup, which sounds quite dialed-in:
Where do you store your skis? I was thinking of putting a cloth ski bag in the wheel well, but there isn’t too much space there if I’d like to bring multiple pairs (xcountry, resort tele, touring, etc - quiver seems to grow constantly)
How is your wave 3 heater mounted?

Nice trip report Kieth in Co. That put the Alaskan thru her paces, do you know if the windows can be upgraded?

Russ

milee said:
Sounds like a great trip. I spy some tele skis! Would like to do a similar trip next year from CA out to Grand Targhee & Jackson.
A few questions about your setup, which sounds quite dialed-in:
Where do you store your skis? I was thinking of putting a cloth ski bag in the wheel well, but there isn’t too much space there if I’d like to bring multiple pairs (xcountry, resort tele, touring, etc - quiver seems to grow constantly)
How is your wave 3 heater mounted?
I carry my skis on a Yakima rack mounted to 78” Yakima round bars which are U-bolted to the roof rack. I made the rack out of 1.5” mill finish aluminum square tubing reinforced with L-track. Square tubing is attached to the stock canoe mounts upgraded with Grade 5 bolts to the camper. With the 78” bars, I could carry four pairs of skis, two on each side. Accessing the roof rack is a high-wire act even with the camper lowered, especially with ice and snow.
Skis are NTN (Never Telemark Normal) with Rottefella freeride bindings.
Wave 3 is screwed to a 1/4” plywood panel which covers the original heater location below the closet doors.

Attachments

• A705053E-6540-411E-893B-208749BF6649.jpeg
    A705053E-6540-411E-893B-208749BF6649.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 192
  • 034A19FB-C0CB-4760-8E81-4FE24C089D9E.jpeg
    034A19FB-C0CB-4760-8E81-4FE24C089D9E.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 221
CougarCouple said:
Nice trip report Kieth in Co. That put the Alaskan thru her paces, do you know if the windows can be upgraded?

Russ
I’m unaware of any plug-n-play upgrade for the windows. I upgraded the big window in the front above the table by paying a local glass shop an exorbitant amount to make a custom double pane replacement. Noting that Airstream puts a shield over their front window, I then added a third layer by clamping a sheet of 1/4” Acrylic Safety Glazing, which made it triple glazed.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Nice but looks cold.
Thanks.
Frank
Yes, it was cold and snowy much of the time.
I have yet to see anyone with an “overlander” roof top tent camping in any ski area parking lot. I sure wouldn’t want to be standing outside preparing dinner in those conditions. I guess sleeping on top of your truck in a tent in winter during heavy snow isn’t what they’re geared for.

Attachments

• 1EB5DB78-E1E2-415A-9EE0-3AA8C808A6E3.jpeg
    1EB5DB78-E1E2-415A-9EE0-3AA8C808A6E3.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 79
Does Grand Targee allow overnight parking in their parking lot?

Jackson Hole and the town of Jackson are very strict about not allowing RV parking anywhere, but winter is the off season for Jackson and there are a lot of inexpensive lodges. The Motel 6 is recently remodeled and less than $60/night.

Keith:

A fine report on an excellent week of Wyoming skiing! Your Alaskan is well equipped for such high adventures. Some time soon we should meet up at La Casa Fiesta in Monument, CO for margs and checking out each other's nicely equipped 1966 Alaskan 8' NCOs. First round is on me. :)

F254D6A8-BE23-4650-9ED2-A5DF949C0B9E.jpeg
Denver Alaskan said:
Keith:

A fine report on an excellent week of Wyoming skiing! Your Alaskan is well equipped for such high adventures. Some time soon we should meet up at La Casa Fiesta in Monument, CO for margs and checking out each other's nicely equipped 1966 Alaskan 8' NCOs. First round is on me. :)
Sounds like a plan! My recollection is that the last time we spoke was 20+ years ago in Ouray when you had a 10’ NCO on a utility bed Dodge - time to catch up. Also, this year I hope to attend the overland expo in Loveland on August 28th, so if you plan to be there please let me know.

Keith in Co said:
I’m unaware of any plug-n-play upgrade for the windows. I upgraded the big window in the front above the table by paying a local glass shop an exorbitant amount to make a custom double pane replacement. Noting that Airstream puts a shield over their front window, I then added a third layer by clamping a sheet of 1/4” Acrylic Safety Glazing, which made it triple glazed.
On our 2016 8' NCO, we ordered double pane windows for the left and right side. They don't really insulate that well since the frame connects the cold to the inside. They do seem to work well for suppressing outside noise. The double pane acrylic seem like the best for the cold, but the shade and bug screen won't work with raising and lowering.

Hi Keith:

Apologies for not contacting you to make plans for meeting at La Casa Fiesta in Monument, CO. I will be attending the Overland Expo in Loveland August 27th to 29th this month and plan to arrive the afternoon of August 26th, as allowed per their web site. See you in Loveland! Fred

Back
Top Bottom