Yet another fire! Washoe Valley south of Reno Nevada

pvstoy

a fire started at Davis Creek campground in Washoe Valley today. I-580 / us 395 closed and evacuations are ongoing.

I can see the plume from my front porch. I'm about 90 miles away. I double checked to see if there was a new start between me and groceries. Hwy 395 is closed to the south until Sept 19 but the garden is going all out, there is meat in the freezer and the fishing on the W Walker has been better than usual.

I had not heard how/where it started. What a shame. That park was a kind of oasis and I used to go to bluegrass festivals at Bower's Mansion.

Last edited:
Even the mount rose highway is closed.

IMG_2362.jpg
IMG_2363.jpg

UPDATE 1:16PM: Truckee Meadows Fire reports that at around 12:30 p.m. Sunday, fire activity increased and evacuation has been reinstated north of Nevada State Route 431 (Mt. Rose Highway) to include Arrow Creek, Sky Tavern, Mt. Rose Ski Resort, and Logan Meadows. For more detail evacuation locations visit perimetermap.com.

I-580 between Reno and Carson City as well as Old U.S. Highway 395 to Eastlake Boulevard have reopened. Old U.S. Highway 395 is still closed from East Lake Boulevard to Bowers Mansion Interchange. South and north bound exits to Mt Rose Highway are closed, so is the highway from Wedge Parkway to the summit. For updates on road closures go here.

I've seen it so many times but do we know it was a campfire? I mean - I would love to have at least a little faith in the mental capacity of the human race.
You are correct. I have not been able to read what caused the brush fire. My neighbor said campfire and assumed so.

Back
Top Bottom