Yosemite In October?

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
I've never been to Yosemite and I'm wondering if October would be a good time to go to avoid the crowds? Anyone been this time of year?

I've never been to Yosemite and I'm wondering if October would be a good time to go to avoid the crowds? Anyone been this time of year?

Leaving tomorrow and will be there probably on the 6th or 7th for a couple days... No real plan.

I'd imagine there will still be crowds but not hellish like Summer. When I bought my camper up in Merced a couple of years ago it was early November and we went straight to Yosemite that night, it was late and I camped up above Yosemite on the Tioga Pass to avoid the crowds (was also worried there would be no sites available so late in the day), when we went down into the valley the following day there were plenty of sites and it was fairly mellow. I'd roll the bones, there are plenty of options if the valley sites are packed.

Yosemite is one of those "MUST SEE" places for sure.

You should be able to book a camp site on line, or get sites there (I would think).

The weather might be cool at night, but the days should be perfect !

The views are breathtaking.

It is an AWESOME time of year to go.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC03026.JPG
    DSC03026.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 181
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 166
And if the pass is still open, which it should be, going over to 395 and up past Mono Lake and Bridgeport is absolutely gorgeous if you like golden aspen. October is the perfect month to go to Yosemite. There may not be water in Yosemite falls or Bridalveil, but hike back to Vernal and Nevada and there will surely be water. Yes, there will be people, but not crowds. The shuttle buses run on a limited schedule, so you might have to wait longer if you are relying on them to get around the Valley (which a responsible tourist should do, they are far more fuel efficient and quieter)

FYI - the farther back you go in Upper Pines campground, the shadier it will be because of Glacier Point, but the shuttle stop at Happy Isles is right there. North Pines is close to the stables which has odor issues, less so in the cooler weather. Lower Pines is my favorite, but there are few sites. Good luck!

Capt. L ...

I made a trip to Yosemite last year in the begining of Oct. Had a few days of rain but the rest of my time their was great. Let me know if your heading that way, I might be able to break loose for a couple of days. Yosemite is one of my all time favorite places.

marc

Capt. L ...

I made a trip to Yosemite last year in the begining of Oct. Had a few days of rain but the rest of my time their was great. Let me know if your heading that way, I might be able to break loose for a couple of days. Yosemite is one of my all time favorite places.

marc

Let me know when you can go. I have a couple other obligations in October I need to fit in too so if you could tell me soon I may be able to make it happen.

Let me know when you can go. I have a couple other obligations in October I need to fit in too so if you could tell me soon I may be able to make it happen.

Sounds good. Should know how OCT. is shaping up in a couple of days. Will keep you posted.

Haven't been in a few years. Yosemite is one of those places where you really want to use the bear boxes. Don't tempt fate there. I wonder if the cables will still we up on half dome? I still need to do that.

I would think the crowds would very low, at that time of the year the river and falls are running a little slow. If you go do the hike to Vernal and Navada falls really cool but all of Yosemite is pretty cool.

We were in the valley a few days ago. I was shocked how full of people it still was, if you want to camp in the valley you still need a reservation during the weekday! We ended up having to shoot just outside the valley for the night.

October is the best month to visit Yosemite because the crowds are as small as they're gonna get and the high country is pretty much desolate. Even on the short day hikes like May Lake/Hoffman, Lembert Dome, Dog Lake, etc. you *might* not encounter another hiker on the trail along the way. Longer stuff like Cathedral Lakes, Matthes Crest, and you'll feel like you have the whole park to yourself. You might get some rain or snow, but for the most part it's still above freezing at nights.

The valley is always a zoo. The only time I've ever seen it drop off somewhat sharply is the week after school has started in CA.

We were in the valley a few days ago. I was shocked how full of people it still was, if you want to camp in the valley you still need a reservation during the weekday! We ended up having to shoot just outside the valley for the night.

Hmmmm... I wonder if we missed seeing you? We were in the park on the 7th, but just for the day. Lots of "tree-deconstruction" stops in the valley and on Tioga Pass. The crowds weren't that bad and the Fall colors were great. There was even a little snow on the ground on the high road to Granite Peak overlook.

I thought early October was a great time of year to hit the park. :cool:

Hmmmm... I wonder if we missed seeing you? We were in the park on the 7th, but just for the day. Lots of "tree-deconstruction" stops in the valley and on Tioga Pass. The crowds weren't that bad and the Fall colors were great. There was even a little snow on the ground on the high road to Granite Peak overlook.

I thought early October was a great time of year to hit the park. :cool:

Sounds like it, we hit the south entrance on the 7th a bit after noon, wandered into the valley. It was full so we camped at crane flats, hit the valley the next morning and then rolled tioga out in the afternoon towards Tahoe.

At crane flats we pulled in right across from a couple with a new grandby but they were eating dinner when I went over to talk to them so I didn't bother them other than a real brief chat.

Well no Yosemite for me this year I'm one sick puppy. Post up some pics guys so I can have a virtual vacation :)

Well no Yosemite for me this year I'm one sick puppy. Post up some pics guys so I can have a virtual vacation :)

Sorry to hear it. :( Hope you are on the mend PDQ.

I'll get some up in a trip report sometime this week most likely.

Back
Top Bottom