Yosemite weekend trip.

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
We always make a winter trip to Wawona in Yosemite. Plan A was to do it again over President's Day weekend. Due to recent storms and another coming in, we went to Plan B and went to the valley instead. Chain controls were in effect on the drive in.

gallery_176_163_114418.jpg

We made camp and hopped the shuttle bus to the Ahwahnee for another tradition - a glass of wine while sitting in the fireplace. By the time we got back to camp for dinner, it was snowing steadily. That night we heard numerous avalanches and loud WHUMPS as clumps of snow fell from the trees onto the camper. I was concerned about the load on the roof. Next morning we woke up to this. Notice the bow in the roof.

gallery_176_163_107662.jpg

Once we got most of the snow off the roof, we broke camp and explored the valley. It was the most snow I have seen in Yosemite and the scenery was fantastic.

gallery_176_163_65610.jpg

gallery_176_163_184184.jpg

These guys probably weren't impressed with the snow. The were such posers, I had to get a shot.

gallery_176_163_25476.jpg

The road to Wawona was closed Saturday, so we stayed in the valley again that night. Without much new snow, we were able to go to Wawona on Sunday. The views even on the roadway were amazing. This is not a black and white shot, this is really how it looked.

gallery_176_163_36925.jpg

Camping in Wawona was great. Clear, crisp, and quiet. Only one other camper, a couple in their very cool custom trailer. Thanks for the tour, Jeremy.

gallery_176_163_194412.jpg

gallery_176_163_204655.jpg

Home again Monday to wash the truck and camper. Sightings included a couple in the valley that just ordered a Grandby, two FWC's driving by Wawona Monday AM, one into the park, one out, and a FWC on HWY 99 heading south.

Fantastic shots Ted, I've always wanted to hit Yosemite in the winter, thanks for the additional nudge!

We always make a winter trip to Wawona in Yosemite. Plan A was to do it again over President's Day weekend. Due to recent storms and another coming in, we went to Plan B and went to the valley instead. Chain controls were in effect on the drive in.

gallery_176_163_114418.jpg

We made camp and hopped the shuttle bus to the Ahwahnee for another tradition - a glass of wine while sitting in the fireplace. By the time we got back to camp for dinner, it was snowing steadily. That night we heard numerous avalanches and loud WHUMPS as clumps of snow fell from the trees onto the camper. I was concerned about the load on the roof. Next morning we woke up to this. Notice the bow in the roof.

gallery_176_163_107662.jpg

Once we got most of the snow off the roof, we broke camp and explored the valley. It was the most snow I have seen in Yosemite and the scenery was fantastic.

gallery_176_163_65610.jpg

gallery_176_163_184184.jpg

These guys probably weren't impressed with the snow. The were such posers, I had to get a shot.

gallery_176_163_25476.jpg

The road to Wawona was closed Saturday, so we stayed in the valley again that night. Without much new snow, we were able to go to Wawona on Sunday. The views even on the roadway were amazing. This is not a black and white shot, this is really how it looked.

gallery_176_163_36925.jpg

Camping in Wawona was great. Clear, crisp, and quiet. Only one other camper, a couple in their very cool custom trailer. Thanks for the tour, Jeremy.

gallery_176_163_194412.jpg

gallery_176_163_204655.jpg

Home again Monday to wash the truck and camper. Sightings included a couple in the valley that just ordered a Grandby, two FWC's driving by Wawona Monday AM, one into the park, one out, and a FWC on HWY 99 heading south.

My wife said their family did Yosemite in winter when she was a kid. The pcitures made her want to go again when Yosemite is not overrun by tourists.

Awesome trip and pictures Ted.

My mom lives just outside of the park...on the other side of the hill from Wawona....near the SF of the Merced and they got buried

Hope to see you guys soon,

Cort

Thanks for the Yos and snow photos, Ted. It is pretty rare to see that much snow in The Valley. Once in the 70s I did manage to do some XC skiing for a morning, but it mostly melted after the sun came out.

How is your camper's roof?

Ted, my friend, looks like you had a great visit! Hope your roof is okay. I really like your Half Dome photo, good job. The Ahwahnee for a glass of wine while sitting in the fireplace........now that's style!

I'll second Ski on the appreciation of the Half Dome shot --- sublime!
I've always wanted to hit the Valley while there was snow about. They should get quite a bit more this weekend at the 4,000' level.

Thanks for the nice comments. The roof was only flexed and returned to the regular flat shape once the load was removed. And that was a project in itself. We couldn't reach the top to clear it but couldn't lower it with that load on it. My wife came up with the idea of tieing some towels to a rope, tossing it over the camper, and dragging the snow off. That got enough off for us to lower it and finish the job.

Confession time. I was purposely vague about staying another night in the valley. We didn't get much sleep Friday night with people partying in camp, the snow clumps hitting the roof, the frequent sound of avalanches, and concern about the roof holding. By the time we we cleared the roof Saturday morning I was tired, wet, cold, and not a happy camper. We couldn't get to Wawona where I knew it would be quieter and I didn't want to camp in the valley again Saturday night. So we did something we have aways wanted to do in our two dozen or so trips to Yosemite. Went back to the Ahwahnee and got a room. I was a much happier camper Sunday. Poorer, but happier. :D

[\quote]
[/quote]

I might be able to account for two of the FWC's you saw. An un-official FWC meetup as it were...

I checked in at about Noon on Saturday and met David in the older FWC after someone stole his space. :( I let him park in front of my camp.

Roger

Attachments

• feb 2011 yosemite camping 034.jpg
    feb 2011 yosemite camping 034.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 156
My wife came up with the idea of tieing some towels to a rope, tossing it over the camper, and dragging the snow off. That got enough off for us to lower it and finish the job.
So we did something we have aways wanted to do in our two dozen or so trips to Yosemite. Went back to the Ahwahnee and got a room.

Ted, you're three for three in my book.
A: You have a resourceful wife who can get the job done :)
B: You realized one of my dreams, which is to stay at the Ahwahnee (shades of Ansel)
C: And you scored some great photos of the Valley under a mantle of snow (a long time resident on my bucket list)

Andy

Ted, you're three for three in my book.
A: You have a resourceful wife who can get the job done :)
B: You realized one of my dreams, which is to stay at the Ahwahnee (shades of Ansel)
C: And you scored some great photos of the Valley under a mantle of snow (a long time resident on my bucket list)

Andy

x2

I know the Ahwahnee is spendy in the summer, do they offer cheaper winder rates or just bend you over still? Either way I definitely want to stay there sometime and I'm sure the winter view was awesome!

Back
Top Bottom